Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC DA 50-200mm and Vignetting?

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if they have used the SMC DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED on a Pentax film camera body with any success?

As it's a DA lens the image circle is supposed to be smaller and Pentax tells us that it vignette's on 135 film stock and is not suitable. However the 40mm pancake is also a DA and there are numerous people who report that they are happily using it for shooting 135 and it doesn't cause vignetting problems.

So what's the verdict? Can I use it with my *ist (35mm) or will I have to go with the 75-300mm FA J f4.5-f5.8 AL SMC instead.

The reason why I ask is that I want my kit to be as light as possible for when I'm out and about on the riverfront. Lugging my GX-1L, DA 18-55mm, DA 55-200mm, Bigma and tripod can be tough as it is. I love shooting 135 but adding in extra lenses just adds to the weight.

02-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only reason the DA pancake (40mm) works on film bodies is that it's based on the same optical construction as the M 40mm pancake. All the other DA's are not compatible with film SLR's- the DA 50-200mm is usable at 200mm, but you'll get a great big circle at 50mm

I'd recommend the FA 80-320mm over the FA J, BTW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice! so it is true! Hey if they are the same formula, howcome the M 40 only gets average to good IQ ratings while the DA40's been nothing but sharp sharp sharp?

Haha, I just got a really funny thought. How many Industar 50/3.5 M42 Mount pancakes can you buy with $300? Some auctions give you like 5 or even 10 lenses.
02-27-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Nice! so it is true! Hey if they are the same formula, howcome the M 40 only gets average to good IQ ratings while the DA40's been nothing but sharp sharp sharp?

Haha, I just got a really funny thought. How many Industar 50/3.5 M42 Mount pancakes can you buy with $300? Some auctions give you like 5 or even 10 lenses.
They're nearly identical, but from test shots, the color balance seems different, and so does the angle of view. It's probably because the DA version features superior "ghostless" coating, 9 aperture blades (rather than 5) and less refractive lens elements (see below).

DA 40

M 40

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In addition to Mo's excellent reply, with an APS digital you are only using the center, sharpest, portion of the lens, where as with the M40 and film, edge sharpness (or lack of) comes into play.
02-28-2007, 03:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
At the moment, there is a lot of six at a "Buy It Now" price of $75.
02-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, they look like they're in really good shape! Haha its the first Industar auction that I've seen the seller mention that its a Tessar copy.

$30 is a pain buy if you got like a group of shutterbug friends you can all get a russian pancake.

Currently I'm broke. my last LBA pwned me. Still in the bloody mail and the seller is in the SAME PROVINCE!
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys.
It was just a thought. I was pretty sure that it would vignette but just wanted to check

I guess an 80-320mm is in order then. Best get some overtime in!

Last edited by Trawlerman; 03-01-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
05-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #9

I heard somewhere that DA 70 works on film as well. Someone here that own this lens could say anything about this?