Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #1

Autofocus issues

Hi,

My K3 which I've had for a number of years no seems to be suffering from Autofocus issues. Whilst the camera is focusing correctly on LiveView - for it seems to be backfocussing otherwise. I'm seeing this behaviour with a number of lenses. Is there anything I can do - or does it need to be serviced.

if it does need to be serviced where is the b est place to get this done at areaosnable cost? I'm based in Seattle.

David

02-05-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Pentax has AF microadjustment available in the menus.
If it just started happening out of the blue, the issue might be somewhere else.
Maybe there's some dust interfering with the focusing? (you have to check the mirror, sub-mirror and AF module).
Additionally, the sub-mirror might have delamination spots which also interfere with the focusing. These can be "removed" temporarily by swiping the sub-mirror softly.

You can also check the screws on your mount and on the lens. Make sure they are tight.

Also, clean the contacts in the camera and on the lens.

If nothing helps or you don't want to risk anything doing yourself, take it to servicing. Can't recommend any place, I'm not from the US.
02-05-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gently clean the mirror box with a rocket blower. Every camera I’ve had from every manufacturer, has developed autofocus issues from dust in the mirror box. Live view uses the sensor to focus whereas when you aren’t in live view, the camera has a small transparent mirror under the main mirror which is part of the auto focus system. Dust and debris on this mirror will affect the focus.
02-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick responses. I did try using the rocket blower, but hasn't fixed the issue so far. I'll try a more thorough attempt on all of the above suggestions, and report back.

02-05-2019, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidhobbsm Quote
I'll try a more thorough attempt on all of the above suggestions
That means using the "sensor clean" menu of the camera to lift the mirror out of the way so your blower can get access to the AF module. This also means the sensor is exposed so don't prod it with the blower head. Keep the camera mount pointing down at all times.

ps....don't sneeze
02-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That means using the "sensor clean" menu of the camera to lift the mirror out of the way so your blower can get access to the AF module. This also means the sensor is exposed so don't prod it with the blower head. Keep the camera mount pointing down at all times.

ps....don't sneeze
No need. You can lift the mirror with your fingertip.
02-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sub mirror behind the main mirror could have debris on it which can cause erratic auto focus problems sometimes focusing sometimes not. If you have doubts about cleaning it you might want to send it for service. As has been said the AF sensor lens needs periodic cleaning for the best AF response.