Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Declaring a lens a "placeholder" tells you practically nothing about the lens. There are better things to discuss. I expect Pentax to fill out their whole 36x24 image circle lens line-up before they even look at replacing those lenses. What's going to help us out more, for those of us who don't invest a lot in 2.8 zooms? A full ƒ4 and variable aperture lens line up, or a repeat of lenses that are already available? Pentax would be insane to repeat these lenses. Especially with the regard the 15-30 is held in.

Many current fans of 2.8 zooms who currently own the 15-30 and 24-70 wouldn't even buy a re-release of those focal lengths. Where would the sales come from?

02-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
Both 24-70 and 15-30 got upgrades from Tamron to match performance of new SP line.
I didn't hear of this happening.

It seems like everyone has some lens they want that no one else mentions. A 24-50 f4 was brought up here and I've not heard of people asking for that lens recently. Personally I think something like a 20-45 would be more appreciated. Eh.

My real interest is a teens prime and a 20's prime.
02-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Both lenses are no place-holders. Why should they missing a * . paint it on yourself
I couldn't care less if it has a little star on it, other than the reason below...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Declaring a lens a "placeholder" tells you practically nothing about the lens. There are better things to discuss.
It would absolutely tell me what I want to know, which is can we expect a "better" version of this lens at some point? I already have a Sigma 24-70 HSM that is quite sharp, focuses fast, and performs well. But it doesn't quite render like a Pentax lens, which some may actually prefer. I'm tempted to sell the Sigma and get the Pentax unless there's a general consensus that an in-house design is on the horizon, in which case I can wait.
02-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I couldn't care less if it has a little star on it, other than the reason below...

It would absolutely tell me what I want to know, which is can we expect a "better" version of this lens at some point? I already have a Sigma 24-70 HSM that is quite sharp, focuses fast, and performs well. But it doesn't quite render like a Pentax lens, which some may actually prefer. I'm tempted to sell the Sigma and get the Pentax unless there's a general consensus that an in-house design is on the horizon, in which case I can wait.
I seriously doubt that there will be a "better" 24-70 f/2.8 in the near to mid term. The current model is only a few years old, it's well regarded, and there are other more pressing lenses on the road-map that need to be developed. I suppose it's remotely possible that a * version might appear eventually, but if it does, I think it would be a good few years away... not two or three, but much further away...

02-06-2019, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

It would absolutely tell me what I want to know, which is can we expect a "better" version of this lens at some point?
Not in the next 10 years would be my opinion. There goes your consensus.
02-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I didn't hear of this happening.

It seems like everyone has some lens they want that no one else mentions. A 24-50 f4 was brought up here and I've not heard of people asking for that lens recently. Personally I think something like a 20-45 would be more appreciated. Eh.

My real interest is a teens prime and a 20's prime.
I wasn’t asking for it, and even if I did, I doubt Ricoh would take any notice.

I have the FA*28-70/2.8, so I don’t require a D FA24-70/2.8 – they’re both around the same weight, and the IQ of the FA* may not be quite up to the Tamron variant, but it’s quite good enough for my purposes, and for the extra money I don’t need the extra width, even though it’d be nice.

I do have a smc-A 24-50/4, which is small, light and has reasonably good IQ, especially for a zoom of its age, so the reduced range and aperture make that format a candidate for a handy zoom to a modern specification.

In relation to the OP’s initial question, my contribution was effectively meant to say that whether or not the D FA24-70 is a placeholder, there are other options within that range that would be a better use of Ricoh’s time and investment.
02-06-2019, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

So we can look forward to even more expensive versions of lenses that many of us already cannot afford!?!

No, I hope that will not be the focus ....I like the sound of some constant F4 zooms and a wide prime ..

02-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I seriously doubt that there will be a "better" 24-70 f/2.8 in the near to mid term. The current model is only a few years old, it's well regarded, and there are other more pressing lenses on the road-map that need to be developed. I suppose it's remotely possible that a * version might appear eventually, but if it does, I think it would be a good few years away... not two or three, but much further away...
And they wouldn't tell you it's coming since they need to recoup cost.
02-06-2019, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since the 24-70 is a rebadged lens and does not get the "star" designation, is it actually just a placeholder until Pentax/Ricoh can develop one of their own? Same for the 15-30. If so, is there any indication when the "real" lenses might arrive?
Assuming Pentax bought one batch of rebadged Tamron lenses, minus the Tamron optical stabilization and using Pentax coatings on the glass, I suppose the answer depends on how many lenses are in inventory. When they run out of inventory they’ll need to decide whether to order another batch, order a batch of a different lens from Tamron or another vendor - or develop a Pentax DFA* 24-70 and DFA*15-30.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-06-2019 at 06:54 PM.
02-06-2019, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Assuming Pentax bought one batch of rebadged Tamron lenses, minus the

Tamron optical stabilization and using Pentax coatings on the glass, I suppose the answer depends on how many lenses are in inventory. When they run out of inventory they’ll need to decide whether to order another batch, order a batch of a different lens from Tamron or another vendor - or develop a Pentax DFA* 24-70 and DFA*15-30.
Well now that's an interesting point. If they did, in fact, order a pre-determined number of units. I guess it depends on if Tamron makes them in batches or runs or if it's a constant production item, in which case the ratio of Pentax branded ones can probably be adjusted on the fly and the contract may be open-ended.
02-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well now that's an interesting point. If they did, in fact, order a pre-determined number of units. I guess it depends on if Tamron makes them in batches or runs or if it's a constant production item, in which case the ratio of Pentax branded ones can probably be adjusted on the fly and the contract may be open-ended.
It doesn’t work that way. My question is whether Pentax bought one batch or contracted for multiple batch runs over a period of years.
02-06-2019, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It doesn’t work that way. My question is whether Pentax bought one batch or contracted for multiple batch runs over a period of years.
You do have stores like Walmart who order a certain number but part of the contract has the number the provider has to provide if the first order sells out quickly. Contracts can be structure many different ways.

I once did a jewelry box run ( a parachute after the first production team totally messed up) for a small woodworking plant, for a major department store. They were considered a Christmas item. We supplied in August 400, if they sold out by Nov. first we had to supply another 200.

But Pentax keeps items in the catalogue for up to to year (or more.) And the K-1 sold much better than expected. They've probably already exceeded their first order.
02-07-2019, 12:41 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Tamron according to their site is not producing older 24-70 or 15-30 for any camera mount today. Both ware listed as discontinued, available till stock last and replaced by G2. Taking some of that inventory by Pentax was probably part of their line replacement and refreshing strategy. Btw stabilisation microdrive is still installed inside DFA24-70.
02-07-2019, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
So we can look forward to even more expensive versions of lenses that many of us already cannot afford!?!

No, I hope that will not be the focus ....I like the sound of some constant F4 zooms and a wide prime ..
Pentax will be releasing some other lenses first.

I don't think if Pentax released their own 24-70 f2.8 that it would be any more expensive than the current 24-70 and it might be cheaper. Looking at the DA * zooms, they are pretty reasonable compared to the competition, same with the DFA *70-200.
02-07-2019, 12:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I had assumed that that the * designation, higher grade of WR (AW) etc would make a higher price than the current (Tamron derived) versions ..... ?