Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lenses for PZ-1

So I just ordered a PZ-1 from KEH recently as I had to send my LX into the shops again and might have to let it go if the worst happens. And I realized that I haven't used my other AF Pentax body (K-S2) for a long time after I had got a Sony a7 very cheaply, and don't have many AF lenses lying around. I currently have FA 43 and FA 31 available, and also own the SMC-F 24-50/4 and Takumar-F 70-210/4-5.6, but I left it home with the K-S2.

When I ordered the PZ-1, I also ordered a SMC-F 35-70/3.5-4.5 as my normal zoom, as this (and its Takumar-F sibling) seem to be the one of the few non-star AF normal zooms that are well regarded in the review section. However, I still feel I might need to replace some of my MF glass with my AF ones.

Specifically, I am not very satisfied with the Takumar-F 70-210/4-5.6, especially compared to my Minolta AF lenses of the similar range (now I also use Minolta AF lenses very often, so they do get directly compared directly with my Pentax gear). The Takumar-F 70-210/4-5.6 is slower than the Minolta AF 70-210/4, and my copy of the Takumar is also barely usable wide open because of obvious spherical aberration, while the Minolta one is very usable wide open, even at the long end. The SMC-F 24-50/4 is not as bad when compared to my copy of the Minolta AF 24-50/4, as both don't perform well wide open. However, the SMC-F is much larger than the Minolta one, and I have mostly assigned it as the go-to lens for the K-S2.

I currently have a Tokina-made Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5, but it has severe CA problems when I used on my Sony last time, and I feel an AF lens for this range is more practical for my subject of photography. I also have the Ricoh 28-100/4 P as a travel zoom, and am wondering if I should replace it with the 35-105 or 35-135 F zoom. Finally, I don't know if there are other options besides the expensive FA 20-35 and FA 24-90 that doubles as a wide zoom on film and a normal zoom on K-S2. I also want to go for the cheaper options, any further purchase are meant as replacements for my MF zooms, and I am not willing to invest too much into it. I have to consider for the bang for the buck (because of the LX that I had invested slightly too much into and might have to let go).

I would also like to know how MF lenses work on the PZ-1. Specifically, I have the K/M series, A series, and several lenses that don't have auto aperture at all (for example, a Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 originally in C/Y mount). These lenses also include a 1.2 lens, and I would like to know how focus and meter of these lenses work on the Z-1.

Any input will be welcome.

Sincerely

Last edited by butangmucat; 02-06-2019 at 03:12 PM.
02-06-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick note on the PZ-1: it is the Pentax film body with the best overall lens compatibility, because you can control the aperture both electronically via the body, or using the aperture ring. This means you can even use modern D FA zooms in manual focus mode, if it's image quality that you're after.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

A solid manual-focus telephoto go-to is the A-series 70-210mm F4. If you want autofocus, the SMC-F 70-210mm is also great, and much better than the Takumar version as far as contrast goes.

It looks like a modern (budget) full-frame telephoto zoom is roadmapped. This might be worth keeping an eye on, as it will probably blow these older lenses out of the water, just like the DA 55-300mm's do on crop.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the regular (not Takumar) F70-210, and it’s decent on the K1 and on film.

Nobody will confuse it with high-end glass, but it’s better than my M80-200 was.

-Eric
02-06-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A quick note on the PZ-1: it is the Pentax film body with the best overall lens compatibility, because you can control the aperture both electronically via the body, or using the aperture ring. This means you can even use modern D FA zooms in manual focus mode, if it's image quality that you're after.

A solid manual-focus telephoto go-to is the A-series 70-210mm F4. If you want autofocus, the SMC-F 70-210mm is also great, and much better than the Takumar version as far as contrast goes.

It looks like a modern (budget) full-frame telephoto zoom is roadmapped. This might be worth keeping an eye on, as it will probably blow these older lenses out of the water, just like the DA 55-300mm's do on crop.
DFA would be nice, but I guess for now I would be focusing more on the used market.

02-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Focus confirm/ trap on the pz1p works nicely with my manual focus lenses, I use it often.
02-06-2019, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Specifically, I have the K/M series, A series, and several lenses that don't have auto aperture at all
The Pentax K and M lenses will meter fine in Av mode or manual mode. Unlike modern DSLR offerings from Pentax, Av is fully functioning with these lenses
02-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

SMC-F 70-210mm is also great, and much better than the Takumar version as far as contrast goes.
Is the SMC version different from the Takumar-F just in coating, or the formula is also different?

Sincerely

02-06-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is the SMC version different from the Takumar-F just in coating, or the formula is also different?

Sincerely
They have different optics:

70-210mm: Legacy Full Frame Lenses with Autofocus | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Focus confirm/ trap on the pz1p works nicely with my manual focus lenses, I use it often.
How does it compare with the focus confirmation of modern DSLRs? I found that the focus confirmation lamp doesn't always light up even when in focus with my K-S2.
02-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very inexpensive option is the FA 28-70 f/4. I have two of them (one started not opening more than FL=31mm, and optically they seem the same) and I prefer it to my other glass in that FL range, if f/2.8 is not needed. A great travel lens on FF/film, and I use on cropped sensor dslr as well (for theatre photographs).

Usually you can pick one up from KEH for about $40. The construction is not great but it works, and optics are quite fine. Although I have several MF and AF zooms, this and the 20-40mm LTD, are the zooms I now mostly use (otherwise I generally use primes).
02-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
A very inexpensive option is the FA 28-70 f/4. I have two of them (one started not opening more than FL=31mm, and optically they seem the same) and I prefer it to my other glass in that FL range, if f/2.8 is not needed. A great travel lens on FF/film, and I use on cropped sensor dslr as well (for theatre photographs).

Usually you can pick one up from KEH for about $40. The construction is not great but it works, and optics are quite fine. Although I have several MF and AF zooms, this and the 20-40mm LTD, are the zooms I now mostly use (otherwise I generally use primes).
I was debating between this lens and the SMC-F 35-70/3.5-4.5, and eventually chose the latter because it seems that the latter has a higher and more consistent rating based on the user reviews, while the former seem to be all over the place. But I guess I want something closer to a travel lens, like 35-105 or 28-100.

Sincerely
02-06-2019, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used the 35-135 without a hood on my pz-1 suffered from loss of contrast. The lens is a little slow and not super sharp. I liked it as my main walk about lens but it wasn't my go to for really important shots. I also had an f100 macro, and an a* 85, and other lenses.
02-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
Pentaxian

How does it compare with the focus confirmation of modern DSLRs? I found that the focus confirmation lamp doesn't always light up even when in focus with my K-S2.
I can't really compare because I don't use those lenses on digital all that often (m 135/3.5 and k 55/2). Hope you like your new pz1p, it's a solid camera.
02-07-2019, 05:33 AM   #14

When I had my PZ-1, I liked the Pentax Power Zoom 28-105. While not a fast lens, I always found it sharp and had nice contrast. Plus it was designed for the PZ series. I used it for a long time on my *ist D and my K-500 until upgrading to the 18-135.

JIm
02-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #15

The Z1p has a good viewfinder and I've found it very easy to use with MF lenses.

My tip as a standard zoom for it would be the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 which can be had pretty cheap 2nd hand (I paid under £200 for mine via Ebay).