Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 200mm - Problem with PF?

Hi,
After the chock from the somewhat high initial price of the 60-250 zoom I have tried thinking in new ways. The DA* 200 has caught my interest. I lose the ability to zoom but I gain a stop light. And of course for a more friendly price

But the test at Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report regarding the bad purple fringing results scares me a bit. How bad is it in real life? I suppose Klaus really tries to catch the phenomenon with some really high contrast scenes but what is your (I'm sure that some of you have the lens) opinion here? Is the PF worth considering when buying or not?

As a side question, how do I reduce the PF most efficently during post processing? I have googled myself a few similar guides using the "Hue/Saturation/Lightness" tool -> select the Blue channel -> sample with the eye dropper -> and reducing its satuation. Is this the way to go? Does it do a decent job?

All answers are welcome

09-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why not go the 300/4? There is no tthat big a gap in the price and you know you want the reach
09-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Why not go the 300/4? There is no tthat big a gap in the price and you know you want the reach
Please stop pushing that LBA! I wish I hadn't finished with that "All answers are welcome"
09-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Hell, why not go for a Bigma?

09-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

if you search around, it seems like a lot of people did not have the severe PF problem
have to dig around a bit tho
09-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Hi,
After the chock from the somewhat high initial price of the 60-250 zoom I have tried thinking in new ways. The DA* 200 has caught my interest. I lose the ability to zoom but I gain a stop light. And of course for a more friendly price

But the test at Pentax SMC DA* 200mm f/2.8 ED [IF] SDM - Review / Test Report regarding the bad purple fringing results scares me a bit. How bad is it in real life? I suppose Klaus really tries to catch the phenomenon with some really high contrast scenes but what is your (I'm sure that some of you have the lens) opinion here? Is the PF worth considering when buying or not?

As a side question, how do I reduce the PF most efficently during post processing? I have googled myself a few similar guides using the "Hue/Saturation/Lightness" tool -> select the Blue channel -> sample with the eye dropper -> and reducing its satuation. Is this the way to go? Does it do a decent job?

All answers are welcome
Chasseur d'Images did not discover the dreaded PF with their tests of the DA* 200 - they gave it their top rating of 5 stars. They tested on a k20d
09-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Chasseur d'Images did not discover the dreaded PF with their tests of the DA* 200 - they gave it their top rating of 5 stars. They tested on a k20d
Thats good to hear Thanks!
Is PF much related to certain sensors? I have a K100 for the moment bit are planning to change it for a K30 when it is out. Was thinking of collecting some fine lenses while waiting.

10-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Thats good to hear Thanks!
Is PF much related to certain sensors? I have a K100 for the moment bit are planning to change it for a K30 when it is out. Was thinking of collecting some fine lenses while waiting.
I think the Purple Fringing cause is in the combination of lens and sensor. Not having the cash to get the lens in question, and furthermore having signed in Heather's LBA Anonymous until January, I cannot test it on my k10d.
10-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA*200 and the K20D and I took a shot of an egret backlit (tough conditions, I know) and the bird came out nearly purple. It was the worst PF I've ever seen, but again, I was shooting wide open and backlit against a dark background.

That's the only image where I really saw it, so I just filed the knowledge away as something to consider given the conditions in which I'm shooting. I still use and love the lens.

As for sensor involvement with PF, I first had my 16-50 on a K10D and was dismayed by bad PF in certain cases. After I traded my K10D for a K20D, I noticed that I never get PF with my 16-50 any more.

So, my conclusion is that certain lenses in combination with certain cameras/sensors can cause PF.

I don't have the offending photos online so I can't point to examples. I just wanted to say that DA*200 PF does exist, at least for me.