Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 02:53 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm f/1.4 AW rebadge as Tokina reviews

There is a number of reviews out now on the Tokina rebadge of Pentax' new DFA* prime.
They all confirm our own findings:

QuoteQuote:
All the things that made the Pentax version of this design an Editor's Choice apply just as well to the Tokina Opera version, bringing some fine qualities into the domain of Canon and Nikon users. There is no doubt that the competition amongst these types of high-quality lenses is fierce, but Tokina is delivering close to the best quality available at a very competitive price. Another Editor's Choice.
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF Review

and
QuoteQuote:
With Sigma and Tamron battling hard to win buyers away from Canon and Nikon glass, Tokina needed to deliver a very special lens to compete. Fortunately the Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF is a terrific standard prime.
Image quality is sublime, as the lens is one of the sharpest 50mm primes we've ever tested. Fringing and distortion levels are also impressively low.
The obvious main rival to the Opera is Sigma's 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art. Both lenses are of a similar size and weight, and the Sigma is such good all-rounder that it's won awards from us. But if anything the new Tokina is even more optically impressive, though its lens barrel doesn't quite exude the same exquisite feel as Sigma's Art-level build.
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF lens review | Digital Camera World

and
QuoteQuote:
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 in my personal opinion is one of the best lenses, not only of 50mm but in general that you can buy, with its phenomenal image sharpness and overall image quality, packed in a modern looking premium body and a logical price tag.
Tokina Opera 50mm F/1.4 Review - Christophe Anagnostopoulos

and
QuoteQuote:
Impressed, that is my final thought on this lens, extremely impressed. Itís sharpness and silky-smooth bokeh rendering are amazing and with quick and silent AF the lens performs as a lens should perform. If photography is your job, this lens absolutely justifies its price, no question about it. The opera gets out of your way and just lets you shoot knowing you are capturing some of the sharpest images available from any 50mm lens and really, isnít that the point?
https://www.michaelburnhamphoto.com/blog/2018/11/tokina-opera-50mm-f/1-4-rev...n-the-pictures

02-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Excellent reviews as the lens really does excel. It's a shame that the Pentax version doesn't really quite get the plaudits that it deserves simply because of the badge on the body.
02-09-2019, 03:40 AM   #3
Forum Member

Interesting that the CA is more controlled than the Pentax version, and sharpness has a different profile as well according to the Ephoto comparison.

I wonder if Pentax went in for sharpness across f1.4 - f4 and then this cost them with the CA.

Pentax's looks better IMO
02-09-2019, 03:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The differences between them should be minimal. I'm still not even clear if Pentax is building Tokina's version or if they just licensed the optical formula to Tokina as in the past. If the second, then coatings would be different and maybe that would explain some of the differences. The other things that come to mind are the differences in the camera used to test the lenses (K-1 versus D810) and simple copy variation. Either way, both lenses test well.

02-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm still not even clear if Pentax is building Tokina's version or if they just licensed the optical formula to Tokina as in the past.
I believe the Tokina is made in Vietnam, i.e., in the Pentax factory.
02-09-2019, 04:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I believe the Tokina is made in Vietnam, i.e., in the Pentax factory.
The Tokina is made in Vietnam. But that in itself doesn't prove it's made in the Pentax factory, though of course it could be.

Even if the two lenses are made in the same factory, they use different coatings on the glass, that could create differences in performance.
02-09-2019, 05:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people adapting various glass to Sony MILC claim the CA levels are, to some extent, influenced by the sensor stack. It might be that on different cameras CA can be more prominent than others.
05-31-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just chanced on this - apologies if posted elsewhere