Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #61
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I am very tempted by the HD-FA 35, as I don't have the original SMC-FA version.
However, I DO have the SMC-DA F2.4 version which I use a lot on the K-1 and rather like.
The crux of the matter, reading the comments, if the DA35 really is F2-2.1 in reality and not F2.4, would there be any point having the new lens. Yes I have various film bodies too, about 50% can control the aperture, so not a big issue...
You bring up a good point. There have been persistent claims on this site that the DA 35/2.4 is optically identical to the FA 35/2. Given the similarity between the optical diagrams and claims of no vignette on FF, the notion is worth considering. My suggestion would be that if one is happy using the DA 35/2.4 on a K-1, that is as good a reason as any to continue doing so. As for being faster than f/2.4, the difference is 1/2 stop and probably not worth extra money unless one is interested in the hood, case, metal mount, and aperture ring.

With any luck, the DA 35 will be included in the detailed test that will likely be done.

Steve

03-31-2019, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
However, I DO have the SMC-DA F2.4 version which I use a lot on the K-1 and rather like.
The crux of the matter, reading the comments, if the DA35 really is F2-2.1 in reality and not F2.4, would there be any point having the new lens. Yes I have various film bodies too, about 50% can control the aperture, so not a big issue.

So, I would welcome an early comparison test of the HD-FA and SMC-DA versions sooner rather than later, to see if it worth getting it.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You bring up a good point. There have been persistent claims on this site that the DA 35/2.4 is optically identical to the FA 35/2. Given the similarity between the optical diagrams and claims of no vignette on FF, the notion is worth considering. My suggestion would be that if one is happy using the DA 35/2.4 on a K-1, that is as good a reason as any to continue doing so. As for being faster than f/2.4, the difference is 1/2 stop and probably not worth extra money unless one is interested in the hood, case, metal mount, and aperture ring.

With any luck, the DA 35 will be included in the detailed test that will likely be done.

Steve
I would probably skip the HD FA 35/2 if I had either the FA35 or DA35, I just can't see a coating making that much of a difference, and then also consider the price exchange and how much more out of pocket you'll be. You'll likely suffer placebo thinking it's better when in fact pretty much the same. I hope someone comes along and messes with our heads and starts posting images of the HD DA 35/2, FA35/2 and DA35/2.4 and doesn't title which shot is which hehe >

I'm excited and also slightly deflated with the 'unscheduled' announcement of the HD FA35, because it wasn't like this was a lens that was not already available to purchase new, you can still purchase the FA35 new right now if you want! How I wish they did an HD FA for something that is out of current circulation :'( Give us an HD FA20, HD FA24, HD FA135 or even better start banging out some HD F135's
Still the fact that they're not giving up on the lens altogether and releasing it with this HD coating fills me with hope that they might do the same with other lenses, current and old.
04-01-2019, 02:15 AM   #63
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm excited and also slightly deflated with the 'unscheduled' announcement of the HD FA35, because it wasn't like this was a lens that was not already available to purchase new, you can still purchase the FA35 new right now if you want! How I wish they did an HD FA for something that is out of current circulation :'( Give us an HD FA20, HD FA24, HD FA135 or even better start banging out some HD F135's
I suspect the FA35's available at various retailers are final stocks of the last production run. If I remember correctly, Ricoh no longer has the capability to produce lenses with SMC coatings, so any new production run would need to use HD coatings. As I've mentioned before (perhaps even in this thread), the amount of design work required for the new textured finish, textured focus ring and updated labelling is tiny. Any of those other lenses you mention would require a totally different scale of design, tooling, testing and manufacturing...
04-01-2019, 10:25 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I like the idea of bringing out current out of production versions or the classic primes with the new HD coatings. FA28 anyone? I have the F28 which is overall a very capable lens indeed. Same goes for the wonderful FA135 F2.8. Even the current FA50 F1.4 would benefit from the new coatings, but that won't happen now that the huge, stunning but very expensive DFA* version is out. Maybe the FA50 F1.7 would be a worthy contender.
Anyway I digress. I am hoping someone can do a full on test, including a side by side comparison of both the new FA and the DA on the K-1 sooner rather than later.

04-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My understanding is that coatings really help with flare resistance and a certain degree of color saturation and distance from accurate (some lenses are warmer than others, for instance). I'm not sure about fringing and it probably depends on how the fringing is being created by the lens. Meaning I don't know how much a lens like the FA 28 really would profit from the latest coatings vs. the coatings they came with.

That said, either the F or FA 28 with round aperture blades and a full brace of today's best coatings from Pentax would get me interested. An HD F 28 f2.8 and a KP? Talk about a great street combo. What about an HD M 120 f2.8 with the same and an AF motor like what the DA 18-135 has? I like the HD FA 50 1.7 idea as well; let the existing FA 50 1.4 die, keep the full fat D-FA* 50.

Too bad I think zero of the above might actually happen.
04-09-2019, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #66

04-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #67

The crux of the matter, reading the comments, if the DA35 really is F2-2.1 in reality and not F2.4, would there be any point having the new lens. Yes I have various film bodies too, about 50% can control the aperture, so not a big issue.

So, I would welcome an early comparison test of the HD-FA and SMC-DA versions sooner rather than later, to see if it worth getting it.
DA 35/2.4 has significantly smaller front element diameter than FA 35. I think f/2-2.1 is most likely not true.

04-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
DA 35/2.4 has significantly smaller front element diameter than FA 35. I think f/2-2.1 is most likely not true.
Yes, this and several other aspects of dimension have been noted in the past. The two lenses while being similar optically do not share the same glass or optical blocks.

Steve
04-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, this and several other aspects of dimension have been noted in the past. The two lenses while being similar optically do not share the same glass or optical blocks.

Steve
Can it be tested properly, like lab or something?
04-22-2019, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

f-stop is focal length divided by the diameter of the aperture, so basic measuring tools should be the only requirement.
04-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Can it be tested properly, like lab or something?
F-number (always expressed as a ratio, f/) is the ratio of focal length to entrance pupil diameter. Both may be measured with some accuracy on an optical bench.

Steve