Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Lens for MZ 30

I'm dabbling with an MZ 30 - need a lens that works with this - Must have the big A for Aperture Priority use - I think. Is there a list of such lenses please

02-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This list shows compatibility of each lens type for most cameras. The MZ-30 is in the list:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
02-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jules99 Quote
I'm dabbling with an MZ 30 - need a lens that works with this - Must have the big A for Aperture Priority use - I think. Is there a list of such lenses please
For what it’s worth, the ‘A’ on an aperture ring means auto-aperture, otherwise known as shutter-priority.

I think you’ve already touched on the main, somewhat unusual compatibility issue with some of the budget MZ/ZX models, they actually require the lenses capable of auto-aperture.

Looking for prime or zoom? Autofocus or manual?
02-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Andrew. Just tried the camera yesterday - couldn't get a shutter speed to register at all, was using manual settings and decided on f8 as a safe bet in all kinds of light. Film asa400. Wanted to use camera fully on manual. Not used the camera before - bought second hand a few years back. Will see what comes out of it when developed.

02-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jules99 Quote
Hi Andrew. Just tried the camera yesterday - couldn't get a shutter speed to register at all, was using manual settings and decided on f8 as a safe bet in all kinds of light. Film asa400. Wanted to use camera fully on manual. Not used the camera before - bought second hand a few years back. Will see what comes out of it when developed.
What lens do you have now?

When you say ‘couldn’t get a shutter speed to register at all’ I’m wondering what is amiss.

I have a MZ-6 with similar controls.
02-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I have a MZ-6 with similar controls.
The MZ-6 has a regular KAF mount, whereas the MZ-30 has a "crippled KAF" mount which doesn't support Pentax M or K lenses and their third party equivalents (see list I linked to in my previous response).
02-17-2019, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The MZ-6 has a regular KAF mount, whereas the MZ-30 has a "crippled KAF" mount which doesn't support Pentax M or K lenses and their third party equivalents (see list I linked to in my previous response).

I know this, am confused as to what OP is actually trying to do.

MZ-6/ZX-L has same modes & buttons, but MZ-30 can’t use the aperture ring, must use in-body aperture control, meaning lens must be left on ‘A’ for all modes. Both aperture and shutter are controlled by the exposure lever near the shutter button.

When shooting shutter or aperture priority the button on the side of the lens mount (usually left thumb while shooting) changes the exposure lever to exposure compensation. When shooting manual, it switches between aperture and shutter speed.