And to appreciate the front element on the DFA:

02-17-2019, 12:33 AM - 4 Likes   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here they are with the DFA's lens hood attached:

And again from an oblique angle to appreciate how the barrel slots within the lens hood:

02-17-2019, 12:34 AM - 4 Likes   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And finally, top view with the DFA lens hood fitted:

02-17-2019, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is there a better-designed and better-built Pentax AF lens that is neither Limited nor star than the DFA 100 WR?

02-17-2019, 03:25 AM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Is there a better-designed and better-built Pentax AF lens that is neither Limited nor star than the DFA 100 WR?

The D-FA 100 WR and non-WR versions are neither Limited nor star. Iím not sure whether youíre referring to macro lenses but the WR version is about as good as youíll get, though the built quality of the F and FA versions of this lens are of excellent build as well. What are you looking for that would be better in any way than what the D-FA 100 WR offers?

02-17-2019, 05:39 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

by Pentax's own definitions -

A Limited lens:

Just in case not all our readers are familiar with Pentax lenses: the Pentax "Limited" designation doesn't mean that a lens is produced in small quantities (although special limited silver or colorful versions of "Limited" lenses have been produced in the past). It merely denotes compact, well-built prime lenses with a metal finish, premium image quality and, consequently, hefty price tags.

Read more at: Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Construction and Handling | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/358446-lim...ml#post4169799

A * Lens:

A star symbol denotes a lens being part of Pentax's top of the line (sometimes called "professional") lenses. They are usually larger lenses with fast apertures, all-weather protection and superior optical performances.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-star-70-200mm-f28/specif...#ixzz5fnCHi7pY

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/360193-pen...ml#post4195241

if you get lucky, you can get good " experienced " copies of either type if you don't want to buy new, they do stand well in my experience.

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-17-2019 at 05:53 AM.
02-17-2019, 08:09 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I owned the F 100 f2.8 macro for many many years. Sadly element separation caused me to sell it. I now have the dfa 100 wr. I only miss the range limiter which made the lens more useful for general use (less missed focus time)
02-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I owned the F 100 f2.8 macro for many many years. Sadly element separation caused me to sell it. I now have the dfa 100 wr. I only miss the range limiter which made the lens more useful for general use (less missed focus time)
I have had the FA since its introduction in 1992. Big, heavy sharp lens, and built like a tank. It is still in perfect condition.
I have been tempted by the size, weight and WR of the DFA, but always hesitated about the absence of a focus limiter (FL).
With the FA, when working at normal non-macro distances, the use of the FL makes a huge difference for AF.
If you don't use the FL, the lens sometimes focus all the way down to minimum distance and back to subject distance, which can be annoying. I have always suspected the DFA WR would do that as well but I'm not sure, does it?

02-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
. . . I have always suspected the DFA WR would do that as well but I'm not sure, does it?
I don't own the WR [ I have the D FA 100mm F2.8 ( non WR ) ]

so I cannot speak from personal experience, but this is what the In Depth Review says:

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Auto Focus
This lens has fast and accurate auto focus when used as a short telephoto and there is no hunting within the normal focusing range. This lens is thus perfectly usable as a walk-around, short telephoto lens for general photography. When using the lens for macro we recommend manual focus. This is not becasue the lens doesn't autofocus well (it does, and fairly quickly), but due to the radius of the auto focus sensors in the camera you will not necessarily get the lens to autofocus on the exact detail you want.

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Auto Focus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

however, some of the " User " Reviews do mention the problem you are worrying about

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DFA-Weather-Resistant-10...acro-Lens.html
02-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does the D-FA 100 WR hunt?

I have had this lens on the K-1 II and there are occasions where engaging the autofocus sends the lens on a goose chase in the other direction of focus when it could have gone the right way, or the subject moves ever so slightly and as the camera is being tricked it sends the autofocus down to its minimum focus and back looking for it. The closer you are to the subject, the less this becomes a problem since I havenít found the lens hunting in the other (infinity focus) direction.

02-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
If you don't use the FL, the lens sometimes focus all the way down to minimum distance and back to subject distance, which can be annoying. I have always suspected the DFA WR would do that as well but I'm not sure, does it?
It does - which makes the missed focus a real drag which used for general purpose use.
02-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Have you seen the size of the original FA35/2? And the DA35/2.4?
I used to have a FA35. I am thinking of built quality, the all-metal barrel, the WR and the focus ring quality / quick-shift.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 02-17-2019 at 03:52 PM.
02-17-2019, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does - which makes the missed focus a real drag which used for general purpose use.
Quick tip: use the quickshift to manually turn focus towards infinity before engaging AF. You're much less likely then to hunt all the way to MFD...
02-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Have you seen the size of the original FA35/2? And the DA35/2.4?
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I used to have a FA35. I am thinking of built quality, the all-metal barrel, the WR and the focus ring quality / quick-shift.
Ah, so not the size? I thought size was the main point of Ash's original post.

Certainly it would be nice if any new lens benefited from metal construction, but unless it's a Limited model (either DA of FA) I think that's probably too much to expect these days, even though the D FA100/2.8 WR Macro isn't (technically) a Limited lens.

I'm sure Ricoh could produce an all-metal Limited quality version of the HD FA35/2, but then you'd have to pay FA Limited money... and it would compete with the existing FA31 Limited. So I don't think it's a viable product
02-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #30
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What are you looking for that would be better in any way than what the D-FA 100 WR offers?
It was a rhetorical question Ash. I can't think of another Pentax lens in the F, FA, DFA or DA series that has similar build quality and design quality that isn't a Limited or star lens.

The lack of a focus limiter is my only criticism, although it doesn't bother me much for the way I use it.