Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What K3 settings for landscape?

Hi, just wondering. Used to have a K200D with a ‘landscape’ mode. Does anyone have any tips what priority/custom settings to use on my K3? When using the da15mm I sometimes get mixed results when I want large dov, front-to-back in-focus.
I got the basics of small aperture, low iso, tripod if needed.
Anything else?

02-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw is pretty much a must. Also, be careful with stopping down too much, since diffraction will start to set in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
Hi, just wondering. Used to have a K200D with a ‘landscape’ mode. Does anyone have any tips what priority/custom settings to use on my K3? When using the da15mm I sometimes get mixed results when I want large dov, front-to-back in-focus.
Anything else?
What are "mixed results"? Mixed in what way?
02-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anything else?
"Landscape" mode prioritises a narrow aperture. Dont think it does much more than that. If you have an understanding of depth of field then you can better replicate it yourself. I suggest a tripod for sure. As Adam said, be careful about going smaller than f16 because of diffraction.

Understanding hyperfocal distance will assist you too Understanding Your Camera’s Hyperfocal Distance

The DA 15 has I believe a good set of DOF markings on the lens, so turn off your autofocus and use the lens markings instead. This should enable you to get close and infinity objects in focus.

02-19-2019, 12:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks for your quick replies. I guess i’ve got the basics down: raw, tripod, f8-f11 not smaller than f16, tripod. I should get more into hyperfocal distance for more consistency ;-)

With ‘mixed’ results i mean occasionally soft images, but I often use AF when I am on a hike with the family. Either slightly off focus or motion blur due to wind is often the culprit, i guess.

When i go on a more deliberate photographic outing and i have more time for proper set up, results are fine.

Just wanted to know i missed anything.
02-19-2019, 01:56 AM   #6

With the DA 15 you should NOT use AF for landscapes. The problem is that this wonderful lens has a lot of field curvature so AF will give you a perfectly sharp image in the center but very blurry on the sides (field curvature could be useful though, in case you have foreground elements on the sides of the composition).

There exists actually an optimal focus position in order to balance sharpness over the frame, that you can find by trial and error. On my copy, I just need to put the "1" mark of the metric distance scale aligned with the "8" mark of the DOF scale. Compared to center AF, the sharpness penalty in the middle of the image is invisible at landscape settings (f/6.3 and up), while border quality is much, much better.

Since I figured this out, all my landscape images have satisfactory sharpness.
02-19-2019, 03:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
With the DA 15 you should NOT use AF for landscapes. The problem is that this wonderful lens has a lot of field curvature so AF will give you a perfectly sharp image in the center but very blurry on the sides (field curvature could be useful though, in case you have foreground elements on the sides of the composition).

There exists actually an optimal focus position in order to balance sharpness over the frame, that you can find by trial and error. On my copy, I just need to put the "1" mark of the metric distance scale aligned with the "8" mark of the DOF scale. Compared to center AF, the sharpness penalty in the middle of the image is invisible at landscape settings (f/6.3 and up), while border quality is much, much better.

Since I figured this out, all my landscape images have satisfactory sharpness.
Many thanks that’s very helpful ! Will try that focusing approach.
02-19-2019, 04:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

15mm Lens

On a K3 using a focus distance of 1.5m and F8 everything will be sharp from .8m to infinity
On a K3 using a focus distance of 1.1m and F11 everything will be sharp from .6m to infinity

calculation from here http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html(settings K-r, K-x, K7 K3 is not listed but it is apsc with a coc of 0.02mm, a nice tooll to play with)

Therefore the tip using manual focus and hyperfocal distance is very good. I'm using an Irix 11mm, where the focus ring can be blocked. It is set to hyperfocal at f/8 and blocked, and when I'm using it the AF is off works really fine. I prefer the F8 to be far away from the diffraction limits, but I thing f11 will be good too.

02-19-2019, 05:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, just wondering. Used to have a K200D with a ‘landscape’ mode. Does anyone have any tips what priority/custom settings to use on my K3? ..... Anything else?
If you are interested in the appearance of the camera JPEGs (and therefore the captured image shown on the rear screen), there is a Landscape mode in the Custom Image settings of the K-3 - press the right button of the four-way controller. There is no information about this in the K-3 User Manual; however, in the K-5 II User Manual it states - "Landscape - Increases color saturation, highlights shapes, and produces a vivid color image". As in each of the Custom Image modes, pressing Info button allows you to adjust the main parameters of the mode - saturation, hue, high/low key, contrast and sharpness.

Philip
02-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
Forum Member

One thing you will notice in most of the above posts is that most people shoot landscape shots with manual focus. Whether you use only manual focus or use auto focus to get your initial focus, switch over to manual so a bird flying through or moving grass doesn’t mess up your focus.

One nice thing about landscape photography is that you normally have enough time to fine tune focus and exposure. I started shooting landscapes with a Yashika Mat medium format twin reflex. I only had 12 shots per roll, so I would spend lots of time checking everything before I hit the shutter. A magnifier eyepiece helps getting crisp manual focus... I miss my split bullseye focusing screen of old...

With digital, I will go ahead and take 2 or 3 different shots at different f-stops to see which is the best balance of dof vs diffraction. Often you can’t tell until you get home and see the pictures on a monitor or printer.
02-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggested settings:
A wide angle lens on APS-C, typically 28mm or wider. I actually like my old S-M-C 17mm f/4 fisheye takumar on APS-C for this and if I want narrower will use my old 28mm f/3.5, or even the 35mm f/2.4 plastic fantastic.
Stop it down to between F/8 and F/11
Put the camera in aperture priority mode
Stick it on a heavy tripod
Use ISO 100
Focus using magnified live view wide open to get the perfect focus where you want it and ride the depth of field out from there
Shoot in RAW
Use a release cable or 2 second timer
02-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
Great tips guys ! I’ll give it a go. I must admit aside from planned shots, the unexpected vistas on a hike with amazing lighting often prove to be the shots that stand out. Trying the manually set hyperfocal distance will hopefully increase the success rate. Cheers.[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Marcel K; 02-19-2019 at 01:13 PM.