Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #1

tamron adaptall SP 90 2.5 + adapter PKA + 01F

Hi, I've a tamron 90mm 2.5 52BB, a PKA adapter and I bougth recently an SP 2x 01F; I read the manual of the 01F but don't understand if I set the auto exposure mode correctly...

I've attached the PKa adapter to the 01F, then the 2x to the 90mm lens, what I see is:
01F and the lens are coupling correctly I suppose (lens f2.5 --> 2x f5.6);
when I manually change the aperture of the lens, the aperture on the converter report a 2x conversion, this until f/22, it does not go any further;

the camera (K3) report an aperture in AV (f/8) that I can change in camera: I suppose that I'm working in auto exposure, and then changing the aperture manually don't take effect... or I'm doing something wrong, so in that case how set Ae mode correctly?

thank you!

02-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try this
02-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PKA mount will still report the lens only apertures ie f2.5 (reported as f2.4), f4, f5.6 etc. It won't automatically calculate for the 2x tc. Only chipped lens + tc combos will do that. The PKA mount isn't chipped, it's just a simple logic circuit that distinguishes between f2.5, f2.8, f3.5, f4 (f3.8) lenses (mechanical trigger). It doesn't "know" about the tc..

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-20-2019 at 06:47 AM.
02-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by limestonecowboy Quote
thank's limestonecowboy, but I've a 01F in the middle....

marcusBMG

if is correct what you said, how can I work in AE mode, modifying the aperture on camera, like I do normally when I've only the 90mm lens? Is it possible?
my problem is that I'm not sure that I've mounted the 01F correctly to work in AE mode (if possible), I didn't find any specific instructions about this...
thank you

02-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If your camera does aperture priority AE it should work (?)
02-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
If your camera does aperture priority AE it should work (?)
guys, my problem is:

how mount correctly PKA + 01F + 52BB (90mm) to use Adaptall AutoExposure mode, so that I can set f/8 with the K3 camera dial without manual modify the lens aperture (e.g. TC indicator set to f/8)?
is this possible?
thank you

Last edited by teoprome; 02-20-2019 at 08:47 AM.
02-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK first: does your PKA mount work correctly with the lens alone?
Note the info here (does the screw head need scratching?):

Tamron Adaptall Pentax P-KA auto aperture mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teoprome Quote
guys, my problem is:

how mount correctly PKA + 01F + 52BB (90mm) to use Adaptall AutoExposure mode, so that I can set f/8 with the K3 camera dial without manual modify the lens aperture (e.g. TC indicator set to f/8)?
is this possible?
thank you
Mount the TC to the lens and the PKA adapter to the TC, in that order, making sure that the tabs on the TC are properly engaged before attaching the adapter. (Attaching the adapter to the lens can be tricky and should be done as indicated in the instructions. It is essential that the aperture ring NOT be in the A position when attaching/detaching and that the aperture on the lens be set to full open. Failure may result in a jammed adapter and/or difficulty attaching.)

The adapter will report maximum aperture and aperture range appropriate for the lens (f/2.8 with minimum f/32) to the camera, the same as an A-series lens. It does NOT do any conversion related to the TC. This should not be any concern to you except perhaps for documentation purposes. All exposure modes will work properly despite the value displayed on the LCD and viewfinder not being technically correct. The same will be true for P-TTL flash; it will work without need for adjustment.

When using the lens/TC combo with the aperture ring NOT on the A-position, the converted f-number may be read from the scale on the TC if needed for use with a hand-held meter or for manual flash calculations. Use with a film camera should be fully transparent in all exposure and supported flash modes except that the camera display will not display the actual f-number when the aperture ring is in the A-position.

Edit: There may be an advantage to having the aperture ring OFF the A-position for non-P-TTL "auto" flash where the flash may otherwise instruct the body to change aperture to match that flash mode. While no current-product Pentax flash support "auto" flash, such is not uncommon in third-party offerings or on various Pentax-brand flash such as the AF360FGZ and AF560FGZ.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-20-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: completeness
02-21-2019, 01:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi Steve,
thank you, this is the first trick: 'Mount the TC to the lens and the PKA adapter to the TC,'
Yesterday I had done the exact opposite.. now all is correctly mounted.
For the second problem (set combo to AE mode) I found the black pin that permit to set the AE mode (view images)

So...if I understand well, with a digital camera (K3):
if I set AE mode in my combo, I can work for example in AV like I do with a pentax A-serie lens, however the aperture indication on the LCD must be multiplied x2; anyway I get the correct exposure; (right?)

if I set the aperture manually, I read the actual aperture on the TC, and use a hand-held meter; could I stop down like I do with pentax M-serie lenses and make a conversion due to the TC? (right?)

a film camera, for example a Pentax ME, 'should be fully transparent'; I will test it as soon as possible.

thank you, Teo.

---------- Post added 02-21-19 at 01:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
OK first: does your PKA mount work correctly with the lens alone?
Note the info here (does the screw head need scratching?):

Tamron Adaptall Pentax P-KA auto aperture mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
yes, it works well with only the lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
02-21-2019, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So...if I understand well, with a digital camera (K3):if I set AE mode in my combo, I can work for example in AV like I do with a pentax A-serie lens, however the aperture indication on the LCD must be multiplied x2;
Yes your K3 will operate in Av with f numbers displayed and you set the aperture using the dial. The f number displayed won't factor in the tc. You camera will meter and set the shutter.

QuoteQuote:
anyway I get the correct exposure; (right?)
Although your real aperture with the tc is twice what is displayed, you don't need to make a manual adjustment for that. TTL = through the lens metering = it's already factored in. However my common experience with using PKA mounts and adaptalls is that some exposure compensation is normally required. Use the +/- button and the dial do do that.

QuoteQuote:
if I set the aperture manually, I read the actual aperture on the TC, and use a hand-held meter; could I stop down like I do with pentax M-serie lenses and make a conversion due to the TC? (right?)a film camera, for example a Pentax ME, 'should be fully transparent'; I will test it as soon as possible.
In M mode TTL is still the same, the camera doesn't know there is a tc, it just meters the light coming through.. You don't need a hand held meter ( you can use one if you want). The display gives you an indication of whether you are under or over exposed. Or you can set the shutter by pressing the green button. Personally when I am using M I just chimp (ie take test pics) and adjust the exposure on the fly (move from eg f5.6 to f8, drop the shutter speed one stop = half).
Note that the Pentax ME is full mechanical aperture connect K mount NOT KA (no electrical contacts), there is no need for the PKA mount with it's electrical contacts, all the tamron adaptall K mounts will work in aperture priority. Aperture set is only with the aperture ring on the lens.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-21-2019 at 07:22 AM.
02-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
ok now it's all very very clear!

thank's a lot to everyone, I really appreciate your effort, great job!

Teo
02-21-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Steve,
thank you, this is the first trick: 'Mount the TC to the lens and the PKA adapter to the TC,'
Yesterday I had done the exact opposite.. now all is correctly mounted.
It helps that I own the PKA adapter and formerly owned the 01F TC and had used the two together. The TC is a sweet piece of kit. Enjoy!

Steve