Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hong Kong prices for K-mount lenses?

I'm finding it hard to find prices online for K-mount lenses in HK (my sister plans to go there by the end of the month), so I figured I'd ask forum members here since you guys might know.

Here's the list of lenses I'm looking at (hoping to replace the kit lens):

- Sigma 28-70 2.8 (not sure if there are still units of this being sold new)
- Sigma 24-70 2.8
- Sigma 24-60 2.8
- Sigma 18-50 2.8
- Tamron 28-75 2.8
- Tamron 17-50 2.8
- Pentax 16-45 4.0 (also not sure if there are still new units being sold still)
- Pentax 17-70 4.0
- Pentax 16-50 2.8

I looked over this site, but the info seems pretty dated.

Thanks for your time and I do hope someone would be able to chip in some knowledge. Who knows? There might be others who could be going to HK and benefit from this, too.

10-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Vinzer,
I have been a "regular" visitor to Hong Kong over the last two years and have purchased a few lenses, visited a number of camera stores and walked a lot of kilometres.

IMHO Hong Kong needs a bit of research and a lot of patience for successful lens buying....
1: Know your values before going there.
2: Know the exchange rate & carry a calculator
3: Be prepared to spend a day looking before buying

I have purchased in Mong Kok at Man Shing or Wing Shing Photo Supplies, around Nathan Rd Kowloon, Stanley St on HK Island and Wan Chai in the Computer Centre and there are also camera shops outside the Computer Ctr in Wan Chai.

I can not stress enough the need to know your values, I purchased a DA 14mm after seeing it in a shop window off Nathan Rd, and had no intention of buying it, but the price was very good. However I have also gone back to the same shops on return trips and found the prices not as competitive, and others more competitive.

I think it has more to do with what they have in stock, bargaining does not necessarily work, although I have had some success with third party lenses, (eg got a Tokina ATX Pro 235 down to some $160 aud, when they are listed here at over $600 in other mounts).

Good luck.
Grant
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
RichHigh is from HK, can ask him for a head's up on prices.

HK prices are actually very good right now, especially the price of the K20D.
Lens prices are also very reasonable.
10-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #4

I bought my Sigma 10-20 in Hong Kong. Can't remember the store name (in Mong Kok) but boy was it exciting walking into a store and seeing cabinet after cabinet dedicated to Pentax gear WOW!! (especially coming from Australia where it is hard to find even entry level Pentax bodies in shops).

I'll edit this post when I find the details. The store was really good. Very helpful. Let you try the lenses before purchase, etc.

10-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the bunch of replies! Good to hear that they have plenty of K-mount stock there. It's much different where I'm from, where most lenses are marked-up quite a bit and are usually only available for pre-ordering.

Are there also stores there selling used lenses? Would be nice to pick up some hidden gems in addition to the kit lens replacement before heading home.
10-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Thanks for the bunch of replies! Good to hear that they have plenty of K-mount stock there. It's much different where I'm from, where most lenses are marked-up quite a bit and are usually only available for pre-ordering.

Are there also stores there selling used lenses? Would be nice to pick up some hidden gems in addition to the kit lens replacement before heading home.
I have seen second hand lenses and bodies in the shops along Stanley St (near Central) not to be confused with the Stanley Markets.
There is one that has a big Pentax sign hanging over the street....ask for Paul.
Cheers.
10-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

???? - ????? Price.com.hk

http://www.editgrid.com/user/johnlone/pentax_price_list

Hopes the above links could help.

Also, there are some second hand pentax lens in this shop, including some FA* that I had seen last month, not sure now.
http://www.prosourcecamera.com/
The shop is located near the Golden Computer Centre at ShumSuiPo, you can easily reach there by Mass Transit Railways.
However, don't always believe the second hand prices as labelled in the lens, you must bargin with the salesman.

Last edited by dsport; 10-02-2008 at 06:37 AM.