Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 01:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
I tried calling both Ricoh-Pentax and Precision camera (US repair center) and neither one of them were able to provide a replacement. If you have a contact who might be able to help I'd be grateful if you could share it with me.
It's easy, it is their job to contact Ricoh Imaging in Japan and have a tripod collar/foot part shipped to the US.

02-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Time to list a part number, add a price and call back - Pentax.
Part number exists, prices were mentioned... what‘s wrong?
02-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Time to list a part number, add a price and call back - Pentax.
Part number exists, prices were mentioned... what‘s wrong?
One would think this isn't a problem, but Ricoh imaging in the US says check with B&H or Adaorama, both of those say they are unable to order it.

Precision said if they do a repair which this would be considered, then it is a $344.00 minimum charge. That's a bit excessive IMO.

I guess I have to call Pentax in Japan.

Does anyone know if the tripod collar for the Canon 70-200 would fit? That would be an option I guess. Not Ideal, but an option.

---------- Post added 02-25-19 at 04:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's easy, it is their job to contact Ricoh Imaging in Japan and have a tripod collar/foot part shipped to the US.
One would think so, but they won't.

---------- Post added 02-25-19 at 04:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Then as far I can see you don't have a problem. How often will you want both of them on tripods at the same time?
The problem is ithen have to remember what lens has the foot and make sure I switch it before I leave the house. Not ideal.
02-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . The problem is then have to remember what lens has the foot and make sure I switch it before I leave the house. Not ideal.
do you use a tripod with the lenses all the time, if so store the foot with the tripod and you have it all the time

now if you don't use a tripod all the time, then you just have to try to remember

perhaps you might find a member with both lenses who has both of the feet and would be willing to sell one.

I won't because if I try to sell one of the lenses, than I think the buyer would not be happy with me

Read more at: I've lost the tripod foot to my 70-200 how can I get another? - PentaxForums.com

02-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best bet is to sell the lens with missing tripod foot--with full disclosure. Buy a fresh lens and NEVER remove the tripod foot. Easy for me to say as a "tripod only" shooter (OK monopod every few years)...The tripod foot is a bit obtrusive on that lens, but if it can be handheld without removing the foot, then that may be an option to avoid risk of loss.
02-25-2019, 05:46 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Best bet is to sell the lens with missing tripod foot--with full disclosure. Buy a fresh lens and NEVER remove the tripod foot. Easy for me to say as a "tripod only" shooter (OK monopod every few years)...The tripod foot is a bit obtrusive on that lens, but if it can be handheld without removing the foot, then that may be an option to avoid risk of loss.
The only downsides to this idea is I got an amazing deal on both the 70-200 2.8 & the 150-450 that I don't think I would find again.

2nd, I sometimes use the lenses on different telescope mounts in which case I might have one lens on one mount and the other one on another mount and switch the cameras between them.

If it were possible to get these feet I would buy 3 or 4 as extras to keep on different dovetail plates for so they remain mounted on the plates, as detaching and reattaching them in the dark is not the best idea.

---------- Post added 02-25-19 at 06:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
do you use a tripod with the lenses all the time, if so store the foot with the tripod and you have it all the time

now if you don't use a tripod all the time, then you just have to try to remember

perhaps you might find a member with both lenses who has both of the feet and would be willing to sell one.

I won't because if I try to sell one of the lenses, than I think the buyer would not be happy with me

Read more at: I've lost the tripod foot to my 70-200 how can I get another? - PentaxForums.com

I use the lenses on one of three standard tripods, and two different telescope mounts (and yes I have checked all of them for the missing foot). So that's not really an option.

I am subscribed to the other thread too.
02-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

One would think so, but they won't.
Then just ask then to order the part to Ricoh. I've noticed , a lot of times , telling the obvious helps.

02-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Then just ask then to order the part to Ricoh. I've noticed , a lot of times , telling the obvious helps.
Ask who? Everyone I've spoken to at Ricoh Imaging US, Precision Camera, Adoram, B&H, and Samy's Camera has said the same thing they are unable to sell me this part because they either don't stock it and can't special order it since it isn't on their web site, or they don't sell to consumers. Ricoh imaging told me today that it is only availble to authorized repair centers.

B&H referred me to a place called Phottech in new york and I'm going to try them tomorrow.

I did manage to find a web page that appears to have it, but they only deal with the Swiss. Here is their replay to an e-mail inquiry:

"Hello,
thank you for your message.
I´m sorry, but we only supply customers in Swiss.
I wish you a nice day.
Sincerely yours
Ihr Team von PC-Ostschweiz
"

Is there anyone here from Switzerland that can help me?

I guess in Phototech can't help then I call Ricoh in Japan. I only wonder what the call is going to cost, and if I can find someone who can talk to me in English.

I wonder if KEH or Lensrental might have a spare to sell?

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET A PART FROM PENTAX?
02-26-2019, 02:55 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Ricoh imaging told me today that it is only availble to authorized repair centers.
Yes it is correct, the lens collar/foot isn't a product for sale, it is a spare part for repair. Therefore, only the repair centers are allowed to order this part and there is only commonly used repair part in US and EU because they don't stock all Pentax repair parts outside of Japan. So, the process consists of contacting a repair center, asking them a price and delivery time estimate for them to order the part at Ricoh in Japan.

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO GET A PART FROM PENTAX?
No, it's easy. I ordered grip rubber parts for my K1, they did not have it in stock. They emailed Japan for asking the price and how long it takes to deliver to my place in EU. Ricoh responded the next day. Given the price, I explicitly wrote to order the parts. They confirmed the order to Ricoh. I received the parts two weeks later, delivered in front of my door by UPS and I paid the price including the cost of shipment and import tax. It wasn't hard at all.

KEH and B&H aren't a repair center, it is a camera shop, they don't sell repair parts because it's not their job. I just think you are asking the wrong things to the wrong persons.

If you are located in the USA, the Ricoh Imaging US site indicates that the official repair center for the USA territory is Precision Cameras (see here: http://www.precisioncamera.com/Ricoh/ ). Precision Camera has a contract with Ricoh Imaging so that they have access to repair manuals, repair parts , training etc. You contact (don't use the phone, use email always and keep all emails) Precision Cameras are the address provided by Ricoh Imaging, and tell them you want to order the part you are looking for and if they don't have it you ask them how much it cost to order it at Ricoh Japan.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-26-2019 at 03:03 AM.
02-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes it is correct, the lens collar/foot isn't a product for sale, it is a spare part for repair. Therefore, only the repair centers are allowed to order this part and there is only commonly used repair part in US and EU because they don't stock all Pentax repair parts outside of Japan. So, the process consists of contacting a repair center, asking them a price and delivery time estimate for them to order the part at Ricoh in Japan.

No, it's easy. I ordered grip rubber parts for my K1, they did not have it in stock. They emailed Japan for asking the price and how long it takes to deliver to my place in EU. Ricoh responded the next day. Given the price, I explicitly wrote to order the parts. They confirmed the order to Ricoh. I received the parts two weeks later, delivered in front of my door by UPS and I paid the price including the cost of shipment and import tax. It wasn't hard at all.

KEH and B&H aren't a repair center, it is a camera shop, they don't sell repair parts because it's not their job. I just think you are asking the wrong things to the wrong persons.

If you are located in the USA, the Ricoh Imaging US site indicates that the official repair center for the USA territory is Precision Cameras (see here: Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair ). Precision Camera has a contract with Ricoh Imaging so that they have access to repair manuals, repair parts , training etc. You contact (don't use the phone, use email always and keep all emails) Precision Cameras are the address provided by Ricoh Imaging, and tell them you want to order the part you are looking for and if they don't have it you ask them how much it cost to order it at Ricoh Japan.
I am in the US, and Precision and has told me that they cannot order the part for me. Now granted, I have spoken with them over the phone, and haven't tried emailing them. I will give that a try.
02-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I am in the US, and Precision and has told me that they cannot order the part for me.
I'm used to this kind of answers, a lot of the times, when people tell me that they can't do something, they actually mean they don't want to do it, it depends who you have on the other side of the phone. Usually, when there is no accountability, some people use it as a way to work less. I remember a guy who was not doing anything unless it was asked by his boss.
02-28-2019, 06:19 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, so e-mailing Precision is tough, as they have no e-mail contact on their web site, someone in another group was able to share a name of someone who helped him. This has has resulted in silence. Emailing Ricoh has yielded similar non-responsiveness.

So here's a couple of additional follow up questions for the group.

1: Since this seems to be a US centric problem is there anyone in other parts of the world who can get this foot willing to do me a favor and order it and ship it out to me? Aside from paying the actual costs I'll give you some money for your troubles.

2: If # 1 is not an option, does anyone know how to remove the actual rotating collar? Is it as simple as removing the 4 screws from the tripod foot mount, because I can't seem ti figure it out. This way I can hopefully get an aftermarket or other brand collar that might be used as a replacement.
02-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC Pentax does not sell parts to consumers in the US. It is probably part of their contract with Precision. I’d bet this is the way Precision works: You send your lens in for repair with a note that you lost your tripod foot and you need a replacement. They will respond with a price for the part and ETA. You say OK, they order the part and send your lens back, probably with the foot attached to your lens.
02-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IIRC Pentax does not sell parts to consumers in the US. It is probably part of their contract with Precision. I’d bet this is the way Precision works: You send your lens in for repair with a note that you lost your tripod foot and you need a replacement. They will respond with a price for the part and ETA. You say OK, they order the part and send your lens back, probably with the foot attached to your lens.
I asked Precision about this, and according to the person I spoke with, the minimum charge of $344.00 + the cost of the part would be the total cost. I think almost $400 is is insane for this.
02-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I asked Precision about this, and according to the person I spoke with, the minimum charge of $344.00 + the cost of the part would be the total cost. I think almost $400 is is insane for this.
I agree, but there isn’t really a ‘Ricoh Imaging’ physical entity here that stocks parts. The $344 is Precision’s minimum for any ‘repair’. I’m not certain, but I don’t think there are any Authorised Repair companies aside from Precision either.