Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I agree, but there isn’t really a ‘Ricoh Imaging’ physical entity here that stocks parts. The $344 is Precision’s minimum for any ‘repair’. I’m not certain, but I don’t think there are any Authorised Repair companies aside from Precision either.
But I don't get why they can't simply order one for me and ship it. I have the part number and it's not like I have to disassemble the lens. I can get a replacement foot for Nikon, Sony, tripod collar for Canon, with no problem from B&H or Amazon. Hell Really Right Stuff makes a replacement foot for Nikon. In fact there are several aftermarket replacement feet for Nikon. Why can't Pentax do the same?

02-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
But I don't get why they can't simply order one for me and ship it. I have the part number and it's not like I have to disassemble the lens. I can get a replacement foot for Nikon, Sony, tripod collar for Canon, with no problem from B&H or Amazon. Hell Really Right Stuff makes a replacement foot for Nikon. In fact there are several aftermarket replacement feet for Nikon. Why can't Pentax do the same?
If you can find a competent machine shop in your area most decent machine shops could make you one. You need to find one that has a draftsman or at least someone well versed in a program like AutoCad to make a mechanical drawing of the foot off your other lens then a machinist can make it on an end mill with not lot of problems.
02-28-2019, 07:25 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
If you can find a competent machine shop in your area most decent machine shops could make you one. You need to find one that has a draftsman or at least someone well versed in a program like AutoCad to make a mechanical drawing of the foot off your other lens then a machinist can make it on an end mill with not lot of problems.
That might be an option. to look into. thanks
02-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they make it out of billet aluminum it should be several times stronger than the original and while you're at it have them make you a spare.

02-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the one at Kirk Photo. They make one for Pentax. Excellent company.
Terry
02-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Look at the one at Kirk Photo. They make one for Pentax. Excellent company.
Terry
Camera Parts & Equipment, Camera Monopod Heads & Mounting | Kirk Photo

I just sent an email to them regarding a replacement foot for the D FA *70-200mm or the D FA 150-450mm

here is the response:

Allen, sorry we don’t make a replacement foot. We do have a plate that may work but we need the length and width of the original foot.

Thank you,

Dawn
info@kirkenterprisesolutions.com
260-665-3670
02-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I contacted Ricoh via Facebook and they are going to see what they can do. In the mean time, I saw a link to this replacement foot in a thread on looking for a replacement foot for a 60-250. I ordered one and I'll see how it works with a Arca-Swiss Plate.

If it works, I'll get a couple of extras and mount them to a couple of telescope dovetails.

https://shop.nodalninja.com/lens-foot-1-replacement-foot-for-pentax-da-60-25...a-300mm-f6238/
02-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Camera Parts & Equipment, Camera Monopod Heads & Mounting | Kirk Photo

I just sent an email to them regarding a replacement foot for the D FA *70-200mm or the D FA 150-450mm

here is the response:

Allen, sorry we don’t make a replacement foot. We do have a plate that may work but we need the length and width of the original foot.

Thank you,

Dawn
info@kirkenterprisesolutions.com
260-665-3670
Shucks, it is for the 300 mm.

02-28-2019, 02:25 PM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I contacted Ricoh via Facebook and they are going to see what they can do. In the mean time, I saw a link to this replacement foot in a thread on looking for a replacement foot for a 60-250. I ordered one and I'll see how it works with a Arca-Swiss Plate.

If it works, I'll get a couple of extras and mount them to a couple of telescope dovetails.

Photography Accessories | Panoramic Photography | Tripod Head - Nodal Ninja
so you are hoping to jury rig their part so it will do the same as the original " L " shape ?

Did you see their " plate " options ?

https://shop.nodalninja.com/arca-swiss-compatible-lens-plate-70mm-f8170/
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-28-2019 at 02:36 PM.
02-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 70-200, and it is a fantastic lens, but...
This is exactly the sort of thing that drives people to Canon and Nikon. I can't imagine either of those companies not making a replacement foot for a flagship level pro lens something that is reasonably easily obtainable.
For all the talk about lens and body roadmaps, this is something trivially easy to fix, that takes almost no investment from Ricoh, and that would keep a big-spending customer happy.
02-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so you are hoping to jury rig their part so it will do the same as the original " L " shape ?

Did you see their " plate " options ?

Arca swiss Lens Plate M series accessories 70mm, Nodal Ninja
Not really jury rig, but add it to an existing plate I have. I did see their plate options and I have a plate that comes close to theirs. If it doesn't work, I'll return it.
02-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree 100 % with SteveinSLC
02-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
This is exactly the sort of thing that drives people to Canon and Nikon. I can't imagine either of those companies not making a replacement foot for a flagship level pro lens something that is reasonably easily obtainable.
For all the talk about lens and body roadmaps, this is something trivially easy to fix, that takes almost no investment from Ricoh, and that would keep a big-spending customer happy.
I think you have to disassociate Ricoh Imaging N.A. from the camera company. RIAC is responsible for the service. I once bought a tripod foot from the Parts Dept in Denver, but now there isn’t anyone to contact. It is just terrible.
02-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
You and I are in complete agreement about this. I can go to any of a number of online vendors and find replacement feet for sony, Nikon, canon, etc...

Why Pentax makes it so hard to get one is beyond me.
03-13-2019, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Success!!!!

I finally found a shop that is able to get this for me/us. Unfortunately the price is a bit steep @ $200.00. It includes both the Ring/'Collar and the foot itself. Shipping a going to on the order of a few weeks as it as to come from overseas first then to Advanced then to you.

So here's the deal Contact Advanced Camera in Orego and Ask for Jennifer (Full contact info at the end of the message.).

You'll need both of these part numbers O-TM80 and DFA 150-450 Tripod seat assy 41610 0-D401, unfortunately you can't just get the foot.

Here's a message from Jennifer about getting these and other parts:
"As far as ordering for others in the Pentax community, we'd be happy to try to obtain parts. Small caveat being this: We were grandfathered in for parts ordering as Pentax/Ricoh dissolved their nationwide network of authorized Pentax repair centers. However, likely due to the small amount of parts we order and I suspect they are discouraging shops like us from ordering, we often find a lag in communication with them (obviously) and they do not help us identify/search part numbers for the parts we need. Also, for many older cameras and lenses, they no longer sell parts (eg., 645). Having part numbers is super helpful to expedite the process and expectations should be to a minimum. Having said that, however, we are happy and willing to try to help locate parts and thank you for passing our name along!"

Here's the contact info for Advanced Camera:

Jennifer Watkins
Advance Camera
503-292-6996
8124 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy
Portland, OR 97225

Kudos to Jennifer and the crew there for their help in getting this when no one else was able to. Next time I'm in Portland I know one where one of my first stops is going to be.