Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help identifying/info on this lens? Sakar 200mm

My dad brought this by for me that he picked up in an antique store or thrift store on one of his excursions. Seems to be an old screwmount lens with a bayonet adapter. Says Sakar, it's a 200mm 1:4.5 lens. Anyone know anything about it? Doesn't seem to be in the lens guides/reviews and a forum search doesn't turn anything up. (Sorry for the cell phone photos, my body is on its way back from repair.)

Attached Images

02-23-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The mount appears to be a T2 mount, an early form of interchangeable mount system. Other than that - not a clue ! Sorry.
02-23-2019, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's obviously a pretty rare beast given the very low serial number and lack of info on the internets.

This is your chance to expand everyone's knowledge of this unusual lens. So please throw it on your camera when you get it back, take some pictures, and tell us what you think.
02-23-2019, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it this lens under a different brand name?

T-mount, preset (Prinz-galaxy) 200mm f4.5 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

02-23-2019, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KierraElizabeth Quote
Seems to be an old screwmount lens with a bayonet adapter
the guess would be T2 mount that 35mm said......being a preset good chance it has several blades making it a so called 'bokeh monster'......certainly worth a spin with a T2 to PK adapter
02-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #6

I agree that it appears to have a T2 adapter installed. Looking at eBay and Allphotolenses listings of Sakar lenses none of them are T-mount. It should be noted however all the examples so far are of a later vintage than this 200mm lens.

It is possible, though, that someone forced a T-mount adapter onto M42 threads. In the absence of information, the only way to know is either to try removing the adapter or mounting the lens on a camera of the correct mount and see if it focuses to infinity.

Do you know what bayonet is on the lens? If it is a T2 adapter the mount may be labeled on the adapter. If you can't identify the mount, post some pictures and someone on PF might ID the mount.
02-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Certainly looks like it could be!

---------- Post added 02-24-2019 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Do you know what bayonet is on the lens? If it is a T2 adapter the mount may be labeled on the adapter. If you can't identify the mount, post some pictures and someone on PF might ID the mount.
I'll get some photos of the adapter. I don't know enough about the older mount systems to make any useful guesses!
02-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Back then probably just another re-brander, but not sure. Sakar is the one that bought and re-established the Vivitar name in more recent years.

02-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Why was there so much rebranding back then? Was it just easy to do in an unregulated industry with so much reverse engineering?
02-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shenloanne Quote
Why was there so much rebranding back then? Was it just easy to do in an unregulated industry with so much reverse engineering?
I don't believe it was "stealing" in any form, just marketing of different names in different markets of the same lenses from the same manufacturer (and resellers of that). Cameras/lenses were sold in a gazillion more places back then -- department stores had there own line of gear, camera stores had their own line, etc. Different regions, different stores, slightly different time periods. Even today Samyang lenses are sold under a half-dozen different names even at the same retailer at the same time.
02-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I don't believe it was "stealing" in any form, just marketing of different names in different markets of the same lenses from the same manufacturer (and resellers of that). Cameras/lenses were sold in a gazillion more places back then -- department stores had there own line of gear, camera stores had their own line, etc. Different regions, different stores, slightly different time periods. Even today Samyang lenses are sold under a half-dozen different names even at the same retailer at the same time.
Funny you mention dept stores I had an old boots flash gun that obviously got purchased in a boots chemist. It bounced too but sadly died.