Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This is one of those times where six megapickles can help. With that kind of pixel density, the very tiniest of focus inaccuracies and lens softness or aberrations are less apparent. I was playing around with my Samsung GX-1L (*ist DL2) earlier today, and figuring out AF fine adjustments (in DEBUG mode). It's far less critical than even my 10 megapickle GX-10's, and both are so much more forgiving than the K-5, K-3 and K-3II...
Hmmmm . . . . . . . that may explain why I am having a tough time getting good results with that lens on my K5IIs and the K-1.

Here is a shot with the K-1 and the Sigma 600:

03-09-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
first true efforts with the Tamron SP 500 F1:8 TELE MACRO 55BB can be found on my Flickr.com Account

and elsewhere in the forum threads

here is a couple, so far I am very pleased with what I am able to get

these are all hand held

more can be found in my Flickr.com account, Tamron SP 500 F1:8 55BB | Flickr
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-09-2019 at 04:23 AM.
03-09-2019, 07:06 AM - 2 Likes   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

try a monopod for this lens, Allen - even just a bit more bracing does wonders at this focal length...
03-09-2019, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
try a monopod for this lens, Allen - even just a bit more bracing does wonders at this focal length...
you are correct,

right now I am experimenting to see what I can get if I don't have a tripod or monopod with me when I use the lens

PPPPPPP -

" The 7 Ps is a British Army adage for Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents P... Poor Performance. " - 7 Ps (military adage) | Military Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

is best but - - -

life happens

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-09-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Keeping it family friendly
03-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am liking this lens a lot

photos being posted in various threads, here is one I took today

hand held, through the glass window of the enclosure

K 3 + Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 Mirror ( 55BB )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Many camera-makers have produced mirror lenses (actually catadioptrics, as you say), but none really caught on, for the reasons others have noted above. Pentax mirror lenses turn up in the used market from time to time, usually in the longer focal lengths although they did make a mirror zoom (400-600 – I have one, along with a Tamron 55B) which was more of a design feat. The only other mirror zoom I know of was an Olympus, I think.

They’re obviously capable of good results in particular situations but you have to work with them a lot to understand how and when to use them. That goes, of course, for any long FL lens, but the fixed aperture of mirror lenses makes them more of a challenge to get good results from. My impression of using them on an APS-C sensor was that the FoV was simply too narrow and tempted users to attempt too-long distance shots, with all the problems that result (camera shake, atmospheric shimmer etc).

Anyway, this thread has reminded me that I haven’t tried mine on the K-1, so there’s a spur to me to see what they can do.
03-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #37
Pentaxian

I've just grabbed myself a 600mm sigma f/8 catadioptric lens of ebay - going to be lots of fun getting used to it! I'm determined to find a good use for doughnut bokeh for starters

Im planning on using it mostly for wildlife shots - I've been using my 300mm sigma lens with a 2x (and occasionally 3x) teleconverter for attacking shooting birds in my garden when they use my feeders - and while it works, the image quality isn't great. With f/5.6 at best, and a 2x (or even 3x) teleconverter, I'm needing to turn up the ISO and decrease the shutterspeed and it's not ideal - and that's before we get to the chromatic aberration in the setup, which wasn't great before I added teleconverters into the mix!

So, while I bought the mirror lens on a whim (because it seemed weird and wonderful so I gave it a good bit of research and said "hey, what the heck!" as I placed the winning bid. I'm hoping that the mirror lens will reduce the blue fringing and maybe let in a little more light! Once I've got a bit of practice shooting birds in the garden from the comfort of my kitchen, I'll take it to the local wildlife preserves and moors and see what I can manage!

I'll need to keep the advice @RobA_Oz in mind as well, regarding the APS-C sensor (in my case, in a K-50) tempting me to take shots outside a realistic distance!

Speaking of taking things outside of realistic distances... I wonder if it'll be any good for astrophotography!

I may also consider printing another of my fine-focus/focus-lock brackets like I use for my Sigma 300mm lens - will need to see how it goes first!

--EDIT--

Purely out of curiosity... I don't suppose any of you folks might have tried one of these dirt-cheap 900mm cadiotropic lenses? I've heard some pretty bad things about them, but could never make my mind up as to how many of them were true...

I have a morbid sort of curiosity about them!

Last edited by cprobertson1; 03-25-2019 at 06:20 AM.
03-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I picked up an old Soligor CD 500mm f8 at a pawnshop for cheap a couple of years back. I tried it around the backyard, didn't like the results, and hadn't used it since. Recently, though, I tossed it into my video kit kind of as an afterthought. Sure enough, I came across a heron fishing in a stream and needed a long lens...so out came the mirror lens. Holy cow! It did a lot better than I was expecting! I don't know if it was because I stuck a lens hood on it or if my memory is just poor...(probably the latter)...but the video I was getting straight out of the camera looked great. Actually, I should qualify that. It looked great considering I was able to carry a 500mm lens along in a side pocket of my camera bag. It's not going to challenge a great telephoto lens, but for the size and price, it's worth carrying, just in case. I had mixed feelings about the bokeh. In some shots, it turned sparkles in the stream into tiny little circles. But in other shots, where the background was a canopy of leaves, the bokey was REALLY busy. My co-workers liked it, but I was kinda, "Meh...". That said, it has earned a permanent spot in my video kit.

03-25-2019, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
. . . I'll need to keep the advice @RobA_Oz in mind as well, regarding the APS-C sensor (in my case, in a K-50) tempting me to take shots outside a realistic distance. . . Speaking of taking things outside of realistic distances... I wonder if it'll be any good for astrophotography!
with all due respect to those far more talented than I am -
rule of thumb

if you don't try, you have no chance

if you do, there is always a chance

Adaptall Mount Club (Tamron). - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

The Mirror Lens Club! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I am sure there are other examples
03-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
rule of thumb

take a look and decide:

Adaptall Mount Club (Tamron). - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

The Mirror Lens Club! - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

I am sure there are other examples
Now there's some good advice! I might quote you on one of my other posts

Oooh, I saw that moon-shot on page 2 earlier - as well as a couple of moon shots on the review page - pretty nice! I was thinking more along the lines of deep sky objects though - because I never try doing anything simple!

My main purpose in trying it out is for fun with wildlife... though maybe I should try some street photography as well - I've been too shy to really get into it yet - but now I can hide on the street corner like a creep!

That's me had confirmation of dispatch a few hours back - so I should have it soon - I'm totally excited, even if my expectations aren't too high (but hey, that just means that I'm easy to surprise later on if it turns out to be better than expected! )
03-25-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
rule of thumb

03-26-2019, 05:07 AM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That the same message our lottery association always delivers.
the difference

lottery - have to " invest " more $ each time

my equipment has already been bought
03-27-2019, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

Just got my mirror lens! Oooh, I have to say, I love it! Sure, the aperture is a bit tight, and sure, the DoF is a bit thin, but oh! The reach!

I do have a quick question though - there is some large specs of dust on the mirror - is it worth figuring out how to pop the front cover off and giving it a blowing out, or am I just going to ruin things if I do that?

It might actually be grime or corrosion on the mirror - hopefully not though - as it looks otherwise in perfect condition!

The next question is: how much mirror-dirt can I get away with (and would it be worth getting the mirror(s) resilvered at some point if mirror dirt is a problem?)

I haven't noticed anything yet - though some of my bokeh has marks in it from the dust. Speaking of which, I found two lights at the perfect distance so that when focused on the horizon, the bokeh of the foreground lights looked like giant cartoon eyes towering over the skyline... and I'm not going to lie - it amused me far more than it should have!
03-27-2019, 06:10 AM   #44
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Many camera-makers have produced mirror lenses (actually catadioptrics, as you say), but none really caught on, for the reasons others have noted above. Pentax mirror lenses turn up in the used market from time to time, usually in the longer focal lengths although they did make a mirror zoom (400-600 – I have one, along with a Tamron 55B) which was more of a design feat. The only other mirror zoom I know of was an Olympus, I think.

They’re obviously capable of good results in particular situations but you have to work with them a lot to understand how and when to use them. That goes, of course, for any long FL lens, but the fixed aperture of mirror lenses makes them more of a challenge to get good results from. My impression of using them on an APS-C sensor was that the FoV was simply too narrow and tempted users to attempt too-long distance shots, with all the problems that result (camera shake, atmospheric shimmer etc).

Anyway, this thread has reminded me that I haven’t tried mine on the K-1, so there’s a spur to me to see what they can do.
speaking of taking chances with a lens

check this out:

DA 40 XS the "Flat Wonder Club" - PentaxForums.com
03-29-2019, 02:05 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Had a bit of fun last night with the sigma 600 - sure, it might not have been the best conditions for it (windy, low light, haze) - but I managed to get a handful of pics that aren't terrible - a lot of the flying-bird shots suffered from motion blur (to be expected, given the shutterspeed), and that's before we get to DoF problems!

Oops, forgot to attach the shot of the Troon golf club (taken from Saltcoats) - the building is 9.25km away, and the radio mast 14km. I am more than happy with that!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by cprobertson1; 03-29-2019 at 04:22 AM.