Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2019, 01:23 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As already has been said, all the K, M and A primes do at least a decent job. I would only prefer any 1.7. 50 mmm over any 1.4.

Unfortunately with the upcoming of autofocus pentax switched its focus on zoom lenses as standard option. The primes from there on get seldom and expensive.

The first generation of autofocus lenses the "F" lenses were based on the eleborate design of the "A" lenses. The basic grey "F" zoom lenses (the SMC ones, be carefull) have at least good performance, an are selling quite cheap because they are a bit ugly (I like them). The 35-70 has already been mentioned, a very underate lens is the 70-210 and I would suggest to have a look at the 35-105 and the 28-90 as well.

All later inexpensive zoom constructions until the appearance of the DAs are of simpler design.

From the time of analog autofocus cameras it is also worth to have a look at Tamron, Sigma and Tokin lenses. Where Tokina reached the general standard of the other two only in the digital age. Quite seldom and therefore comparable expensive: Tamron 24-135. Very common and worth a try Tamron 28-105 (179D) or its more expensive Pentax counterpart SMC Pentax-FA 28-105mm F4-5.6 [IF]. Just keep in mind: The wide angels weren't built with the needs of digital sensors in mind and on the long end most lenses tend to have lower contrast.

And yes I am looking forward to my birthday to have a occassion buy a K-1 and put all my legacy lenses on it. The point is not $ 2.000 astrophotography and what do I know gimmicks. Is is usability (ok and DOF). I have glasses and the viewfinder of the K-1 is all I need. I would even prefer a digital FF with only the comparable features of my P30 (and a good monitor) to all the K-5, K-3 and KP and pay more for it.

03-01-2019, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought my K-1 to get an FF sensor, not necessarily to expect pin-sharp corner to corner sharpness. I did already have some very good FA (and earlier) primes for it - I bought it to use my FA43 on an FF DSLR. Looking for budget lens options is a great way to expand your options for little outlay - zooms are more flaky but primes are generally very good. One current trend seems to be for extreme wide-angles, there probably won't be any cheap options here, apart from that most K/M/A/F/FA prime is likely to perform well stopped down a couple of stops. Some M42 options have their own special rendering, my favourite being the early Super-Tak 28/3.5 with the 58mm filter thread. There are loads of independent primes out there (watch for the Ricoh pin though). KA lenses allow the most control, some are cheap others much more expensive than a similar M.

My suggestions:
Wide angles: M/A 28mms (any), Sigma, Tamron (I have a Miranda KA 24mm but haven't tried it on the K-1).
Standards: M/A 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 (M50/1.7s are common and very inexpensive).
Tele primes: M135/3.5, M150, M200
Portrait: These can be expensive, if the 135 is too long, consider a teleconverter with a fast 50mm.
Telezoom: Pentax F70-210 or Sigma AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 (various names for this)
Longer prime: Sigma 400/5.6, Tamron 500/8 mirror (these aren't 'cheap' but they're cheap for the capability they offer).
Walkaround zoom: There's a whole range of options, good & bad, the FA28-105 is probably an option (haven't tried mine on the K-1), but otherwise I'd probably prefer a few primes. The FA24-90 seems a good option but probably isn't a budget lens.
03-01-2019, 04:22 AM   #33
Unregistered User

I went to Pentax because of the lenses, not the cameras. They make some of the best lenses available, but more importantly, represent the best value. You could get Nikon or Leica, but you don't get the same bang for the buck. So when I did, I invested in good lenses and put 'em on a K-50. I got the K-1 later as it became affordable.

Here's the thing: the OP could have gotten a HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW for a thousand bucks and put it on a K-70 with excellent results for less than two thousand bucks total (and that probably includes a decent tripod/head, cable shutter release, spare battery, and memory cards).

No camera is any better than the lens that's attached to it.
03-01-2019, 05:52 AM - 5 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote

And no camera or lens is so bad that a competent photographer can't get good results with it.

03-01-2019, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
1. The least price as possible (less is better)
2. Good IQ on K1 II full frame
3. It is quite common lens and not extra rare item
4. Only K mount (without reduction like M42 lenses)
The discussion has drifted somewhat, I'll try to answer the original question.

Here are a few lenses that fit your requirements and have a good reputation.

All the 50mm lenses of course jump to mind. The cheapest will be the M50 F2, it's good like all 50s but not fantastic. The best bang for your buck would probably be the F50 F1.7, very common and superb. Cheaper, but still common and very good is the A50 F1.4. M50 F1.4 is also pretty good, better than the F2.

That being said, you can use the newer DA50 F1.8 pretty well on full frame, and it's a new lens. I think I'd still select the F50 F1.7 over it, though.

As for zooms, the F35-70 has an excellent reputation, as does the F70-200. Those two lenses can often be purchased for about 120$ USD for the pair, and they're better than they have any right to be.

I'd stay away from most of the FA zooms (except the STAR lenses, which are expensive and excellent). The FA zooms are, mostly but not always, average or poor. One exception is the FA 100-300mm F4.7-F5.6 (NOT the F4.5 version), which is pretty good and can be purchased for about 100$.

Returning to primes, wider and longer AF primes will cost you more, though most are worth their cost. You can get better value by looking at K or M primes. Especially short teles can be pretty good and relatively inexpensive. If you want wide, also stick to K or M, otherwise you'll pay more.

I hope this helps. I've forgotten several lenses I'm sure, but it gives you an idea.
03-01-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K1 to play this game properly but I'll chip in...As per spec: best price/performance...

- tamron adaptall 60-300mm. Easily acquirable for ~$50 or less (at least on this side of the pond). Fantastic all round quality inc close focus to 1:1.55 (but PKA mount is another $$).
- Kiron zoomlock 70-210mm. Although the online rap is good for this lens s/h prices don't reflect that. I picked up my mint PKM mount example for ~ $15. Very consistent iq across zoom range, f stops and distance, brilliant colours, better than VS1's IMO (komine v.3 is approx equal on performance, but typically way more on price) see my tests. Look for a PKA mount example.
- tamron adaptall 90mm macro. best priced macro on s/h market, easily found for sub 100$.
- tamron adaptall 300mm f2.8. pretty much the only 300mm f2.8 you might find for not much more than $500...or possibly less. Impressive spec with large LD elements, very good performer.
- tamron adaptall 500mm mirror. The only 500mm lens you can get for a hundred odd* and put in your pocket. Mentioned specifically because my impression from pics posted online is that these do better on full frame.

*well there are lots of cheap mirrors around but they are to be avoided.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-01-2019 at 09:35 AM.
03-01-2019, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Oh!

One fantastic lens that I forgot is certainly the Vivitar series 1 70-210.

The version 3 has the A setting so is easier to use. It's F2.8 - F4 and can be had for roughly 150$ USD I'd say. The version 2, 4 and 5 are less desirable. Version 1 (the so-called Kiron version) is fully manual, constant F3.5, literally built like a tank with a full-metal body, has excellent macro capabilities and can probably be found for about 100$. I sometimes miss mine, it's such a fine lens. Mark my words, my DA* 60-250 is better, but the Vivitar is still fantastic. Strong purple fringing but apart from that, very little to complain about.

03-01-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I looked yesterday there were Tamron 90mm f2.5's with autofocus, listed in excellent condition from Japan for $125 or so. I don't know why someone would pass that up to spend $85 to $100 for the Adaptall version if they're using a camera with autofocus.

Same with F 50 1.7's vs M or A 50 1.7's. On a Pentax DSLR, why save $50 or so and not have AF?

I understand the premise of this thought exercise was to suggest high value for money but sometimes saving sanity by having AF is worth its own cost. If there was focus peaking in the viewfinder ala modern mirrorless cameras I would change my tune; the focusing screen in Pentax DSLR's being what they are, I really don't want to focus manually all that often. I don't know how iheiramo takes the pictures he does, as often as he does, without a more helpful focusing screen (I believe he hasn't changed the screen out of his K-1 from factory).
03-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I just don't understand photographers who want to put $100 lenses on a $2,000 camera.

If you can afford a $2,000 camera system, and want a great 50mm K mount lens, just spend $997 and get the outstanding Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 lens
That's the type of argument I'd expect from a salesman. No, it is not a logical thought process to assume that just because someone spent x amount of money on a camera body means that they're doing an injustice by using cheaper costing lenses. I'd begin to agree with you if there were a distinct parallel between price and quality but I know that you know better than that. I absolutely love using my $55 K 55 1.8 on my K-1 and am extremely happy results (and the same goes for many other legacy lenses). I love the smoothness of the focus ring that you will never find on a AF lens. I also appreciate the fact that I can use a lens that is as old as I am and still get superior results. OP specifically stated that he wants a legacy lens for a low price and even gave his personal justifications for why he didn't want to spend more. It's fine that even after reading their post you still don't understand their thought process but sharing that thought in the judgemental way that you did is insultuous and does nothing to contribute to OP's post.
03-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right. But it doesn't have to be about those more extreme optical characteristics... the overall rendering of many older and now-inexpensive lenses can be extremely appealing, even if the general optical performance falls short of the newer premium lenses. The Zeintar-K2 2/50 I mentioned earlier is a perfect example. It exhibits none of the extreme optical effects you mention - soap bubble bokeh, swirly bokeh, halos, etc. It just renders in a very pleasing way. If you pixel peep images that were shot with it wide open, you'll find flaws that aren't there on the D*FA50... and it won't compete on edge-to-edge resolution at any aperture setting. But it'll produce great-looking photos, especially at typical reproduction sizes and viewing distances.
And modern corner to corner sharpness doesn't need to be expensive either. The DA70 is extremely sharp (one of the sharper primes you can buy at the moment) and it's cheap on the used market, cheaper than some good legacy glass.

---------- Post added 03-01-19 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
And a camera can limit great lenses. There are plenty of legacy lenses that are still perfectly fine when it comes to the subject of sharpness.

There is no better representation of this than when ephotozine did an article of the Tak 50 1.4 8 element on the k-1. A lens that is well over 50 years old.

Asahi Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 Model I (8-Element) Vintage Lens Review
03-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve had really good luck with the following...

Tokina AF 20-35 f3.5-4.5
Super wide for a reasonable price. My first one got fogged by oil deposits but once cleaned was great. Bought another when I dropped the first...

Pentax DA40mm f2.8. Looks like a joke on a K1, takes great photos.

Pentax F50mm f1.7. Sharp, compact, inexpensive...

Pentax SMC-M 135mm f3.5. Not super fast, but plenty good and I paid $20 for mine three years ago.

Pentax SMC-A 200mm f4. The M version is OK. The A version is fantastic with flash and works a treat with a Raynox close up diopter.

Pentax F70-210. Good autofocus results at a spectacular price, will serve me until the new DFA f4 lens comes out

Pentax SMC 300mm f4. Lots of purple fringing, big, heavy, manual. But sharp and often cheap. Plus, it looks super cool on the K1... like you’re doing something important...

-Eric
03-01-2019, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I'd have a different take on this. Unless you have some artistic reason for really wanting to use legacy glass, the first lens I'd buy for the K-1 would be the 28-105.
It's very good, probably close to the quality of many legacy primes, not too expensive, pretty fast-focusing, and WR.
03-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Don't forget the M75-150 F4.0 ......
03-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
That's the type of argument I'd expect from a salesman. No, it is not a logical thought process to assume that just because someone spent x amount of money on a camera body means that they're doing an injustice by using cheaper costing lenses. I'd begin to agree with you if there were a distinct parallel between price and quality but I know that you know better than that. I absolutely love using my $55 K 55 1.8 on my K-1 and am extremely happy results (and the same goes for many other legacy lenses). I love the smoothness of the focus ring that you will never find on a AF lens. I also appreciate the fact that I can use a lens that is as old as I am and still get superior results. OP specifically stated that he wants a legacy lens for a low price and even gave his personal justifications for why he didn't want to spend more. It's fine that even after reading their post you still don't understand their thought process but sharing that thought in the judgemental way that you did is insultuous and does nothing to contribute to OP's post.
I'm so sorry that I offended and insulted. That was not the intent. I guess that I'm not as "PC and gentile" as some of you delicate individuals are. But hey, I'm not going to change, so please feel free to block me if you choose.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-01-2019 at 03:48 PM.
03-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
And modern corner to corner sharpness doesn't need to be expensive either. The DA70 is extremely sharp (one of the sharper primes you can buy at the moment) and it's cheap on the used market, cheaper than some good legacy glass.
Yes... if APS-C is the target format, there are plenty of medium-cost options that give very good resolution across the frame, and nice rendering too. Most of the DA Limited lenses satisfy that remit, and used examples aren't too expensive.

In full-frame land, though, lower-cost AF choices are more limited in performance, I'd say. But there are still some great lenses to be had, even AF and especially MF. They might not compete with a D*FA50/1.4, but that doesn't mean they can't produce wonderful photos