Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Lenses

Hello everyone!

Can anybody knows that an APS-C pentax lenses can be use to a Pentax KI M2 camera or not?

I'm planning to buy a K1 mark II and an APS-C DA* or D FA* like smc PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF] SDM. I am doubtful to buy it might not fit to K1 M2 or have a black frame border in the image.

I hope anybody out there can explain me well.

Thanks a lot in advance.

03-06-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thetigergo Quote
Hello everyone!

Can anybody knows that an APS-C pentax lenses can be use to a Pentax KI M2 camera or not?

I'm planning to buy a K1 mark II and an APS-C DA* or D FA* like smc PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF] SDM. I am doubtful to buy it might not fit to K1 M2 or have a black frame border in the image.

I hope anybody out there can explain me well.

Thanks a lot in advance.
D-FA lenses are designed for full-frame coverage.

DA lenses are designed for aps-c coverage, but many of them can cover the FF sensor with little or no Vignetting. The DA* 16-50 will not cover the FF sensor and will vignette rather badly. You can use it in the crop mode however where it will work just fine.

Have a look here https://www.pentaxforums.com/compatibility/
03-06-2019, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
pid
Pentaxian

The smc PENTAX-DA★16-50mmF2.8ED AL[IF] SDM is a APS-C lens and does heavily vignetting in FF Frame of the K1. But you can use it in Crop Mode of the K1. Crop Mode shows a gray frame in View Finder of the K1 and the picture will be saved automatically croppt without black frame, but with the have of the Resolution of the FF Sensor. So you will get a 16 MP picture instead of a 36MP picture. Better choice wiuld be the DFA 24-70/2.8 for K1. Take a look at: Current Pentax-K FF lenses overview picture - PentaxForums.com
03-06-2019, 05:45 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
short answer yes but - [ K 1 and K 1 II each have a " crop " mode, but full size sensor, it can depend as is pointed out by other posters ]

I find these charts helpful to get info at a glance:

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

( the info provided for the K 1 is the same as what you would experience with a K 1 II )

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

reviews for Pentax cameras are under " cameras " and for Pentax and third party lenses are under " lenses "

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-06-2019 at 05:50 AM.
03-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, buying a K1 is just the excuse you need to go get loads of fine FF Pentax glass.
03-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you guys for very informative advice.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
03-08-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You can mount them all

Just to do away with any unclarities:

The Pentax K-mount lenses, from the 1970:s and forwards, can all be mounted on any Pentax camera with a K-mount. That is, any "small format" (24X36 mm negative) film camera and all the digital bodies except the 645-series ("medium format") and Q-series.
So you can mount any K, M, A (older manual focus), F, FA (older auto focus), or DA or D-FA lens on the Pentax digital bodies. But the DA-lenses are designed to cover the area of the APS-c sensor (16 x 24mm), and all the others (D-FA as well as all the older film era lenses) are designed to cover the larger sensor of the K-1 "full frame" sensor (24X36 mm).
This means that nothing will be damaged if you put a DA lens on a K-1 camera, but you might have strong vignetting (dark corners) in the resulting picture. This effect varies a lot between the lenses, some actually covers the "full format" sensor well even if they are called DA.
The other way, mounting a "full format" lens on an APS-c sensor camera, is absolutely problem free and even an advantage, as you only use the "sweet spot", the central part of the image circle which is often the best regarding sharpness and aberrations.

Kjell

03-08-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
. . . But the DA-lenses are designed to cover the area of the APS-c sensor (16 x 24mm), and all the others (D-FA as well as all the older film era lenses) are designed to cover the larger sensor of the K-1 "full frame" sensor (24X36 mm).
This means that nothing will be damaged if you put a DA lens on a K-1 camera, but you might have strong vignetting (dark corners) in the resulting picture. This effect varies a lot between the lenses, some actually covers the "full format" sensor well even if they are called DA. . . .

Kjell
this article might be of interest:

Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 2019

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com