Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 07:34 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure lens caps are what keeps dust from falling on to the lens.

Using them in real environments means they will get dust, smudges and spots on them.
Get a strong blower, a soft brush and I've had pretty good luck with gently using Zeiss lens wipes.
I wouldn't voluntarily get soot anywhere near my lenses.

03-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
No you misunderstood me. I know the Hepa won't suck up the dust already on the lens. It will suck up the dust floating around in the air. My theory is that it should prevent dust from falling on the lens.
Well, take a moment to put your lens caps on! I really think that you are "over thinking" this to the degree of possibly causing damage to your lens! I always use a lens cap or a soft "hoodie" on all my lenses. Easy to remove/put back on.
03-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The absolute worst time for dirt and cameras is outside in windy conditions. The amount of dust in the air can be truly monumental. After I quick lens change on an exposed beach, I suffered through images with over 60 dust spots on them. The best strategy is to avoid getting dust on the lens, and not have to clean it afterwards.

Another argument for zooms. My 18-135 lives on the camera on windy days. No lens changes, no dust spots.
03-08-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
I would like to use soot to clean some of my Pentax, Takumar, Zeiss, Mamiya, Vivitar, and Jupiter lenses. To make the soot I will be holding a lit lighter over a spoon until it turns black. Than I will wipe the spoon with a microfiber cloth. Once it has cooled I will than rub the optics in a circular motion to clean. Would there be any concerns with striping, or any conditions that I should be made aware of? Also, would this be safe to do on modern lenses as well? From my understanding lens pens are made from soot.
Why would you even want to try this?
Just use a proper cleaning cloth and breath on the glass to provide a cleaning medium.
Or use lens cleaning solution on the cleaning cloth (or paper).
I've found the best cleaning cloth is a t-shirt that has been washed and rinsed multiple times.
And remember, cleaning lenses is the surest way to damage them, so don't clean them unless something really grotty (like a fingerprint) gets on the glass.
Dust is harmless, removing it can be very damaging.

03-08-2019, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The absolute worst time for dirt and cameras is outside in windy conditions. The amount of dust in the air can be truly monumental. After I quick lens change on an exposed beach, I suffered through images with over 60 dust spots on them. The best strategy is to avoid getting dust on the lens, and not have to clean it afterwards.

Another argument for zooms. My 18-135 lives on the camera on windy days. No lens changes, no dust spots.
I remember the last time I went to the beach with my camera I swapped the lens. At the end of the day when I got home there was this white residue on the sensor. I'm guessing it was either magnesium or salt that was in the air. I think next time I will cut out a hole in a ziplock bag, and poke the lens through it to prevent any moisture. Will likely place a O-ring between the lens and mount for weather sealing, and use a UV filter for extra protection. I suppose after I'm done I could place everything in airtight container full of silica bags for 24hrs.

---------- Post added 03-08-19 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Why would you even want to try this?
Just use a proper cleaning cloth and breath on the glass to provide a cleaning medium.
Or use lens cleaning solution on the cleaning cloth (or paper).
I've found the best cleaning cloth is a t-shirt that has been washed and rinsed multiple times.
And remember, cleaning lenses is the surest way to damage them, so don't clean them unless something really grotty (like a fingerprint) gets on the glass.
Dust is harmless, removing it can be very damaging.
I watched this video. Good thing I consulted with you guys before I followed the advice on the video. Thanks again everyone.🙂