Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 12:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need help urgently! Vivitar 24mm f2!

What is this? Doesn't look like scratches. Is it possible to open this and clean it? I got 4 Vivitar 24mm f2 in New old stock condition for 180$! Please help me out! And how do I open it!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FRD-L02  Photo 
03-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #2

Are you sure that's not on the outside surface? Could be "cleaning" marks - damage to the coatings from cleaning. Or just a poor cleaning job that will clear up with a proper cleaning.

If it is on the inside, again could be cleaning marks or element separation.

Looks a little beat up for NOS - e.g. marks on bayonet tab and anti-glare finish.
03-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Are you sure that's not on the outside surface? Could be "cleaning" marks - damage to the coatings from cleaning. Or just a poor cleaning job that will clear up with a proper cleaning.

If it is on the inside, again could be cleaning marks or element separation.

Looks a little beat up for NOS - e.g. marks on bayonet tab and anti-glare finish.
I tried to clean the back element on the outside. And it's perfectly clean. The marks didn't go. And the reason I said they aren't scratches, is because there doesn't seem to be any abrasions when held over a halogen bulb. I checked again and again over the bulb. But no damage to the glass. I initially thought those are oil cleaning marks. So I posted it here just to be sure. And I need to know how to open this lens. Because I want to clean it.
03-07-2019, 03:51 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if that was sold as "NOS", I'd send it back for a refund and not be concerned about opening it up...

03-07-2019, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if that was sold as "NOS", I'd send it back for a refund and not be concerned about opening it up...
Really? I am kind of, fond of the images it produces. I was hoping to open it and clean it up. :/
03-07-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those marks look on the outside to me. try eg acetone.
03-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Dont! Use isopropyl alcohol. Far less likely to strip any coatings.

03-07-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you looked around some to see what other used copies go for? Marks on the rear element are apt to have some impact at some point. If you can return it and pick up another for about the same price, it might be the best route.
03-07-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Far less likely to strip any coatings.
I can assure you all normal coatings are absolutely immune to acetone.
03-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

before attempting to open up the lens, you may want to review this thread:

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
03-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used normal lens cleaning fluid. You know the standard stuff, that's available online. For like 10$. And used cotton tip ear buds to thoroughly but delicately clean the rear element. But it didn't go. So I thought it's on the inside. Ok I'll try it, if the marks are still there. What should I do?

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 08:12 AM ----------

Dont! Use isopropyl alcohol. Far less likely to strip any coatings.
Is it as effective as acetone?

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 08:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Have you looked around some to see what other used copies go for? Marks on the rear element are apt to have some impact at some point. If you can return it and pick up another for about the same price, it might be the best route.
Actually I saw a few, pretty worn out ones. Same price as mine. But mine is New old stock. I bought a lot of 4 Vivitar 24mm f2 for 180$.
03-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SunnyG. Quote
I used normal lens cleaning fluid. You know the standard stuff, that's available online. For like 10$. And used cotton tip ear buds to thoroughly but delicately clean the rear element. But it didn't go. So I thought it's on the inside. Ok I'll try it, if the marks are still there. What should I do?

Actually I saw a few, pretty worn out ones. Same price as mine. But mine is New old stock. I bought a lot of 4 Vivitar 24mm f2 for 180$.
It's been a great tool for me with zero problems. Unfortunately, acetone CAN take coatings despite assurances to the contrary. There are forms of nail polish remover that are non-acetone but I find that isopropyl alcohol works well with zero issues. Also, if it doesn't work you can then try (at your own risk) acetone - but if it does then you avoided any potential risk with the acetone.
03-07-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

I can assure you all normal coatings are absolutely immune to acetone.
It's been a great tool for me with zero problems. Unfortunately, acetone CAN take coatings despite assurances to the contrary. There are forms of nail polish remover that are non-acetone but I find that isopropyl alcohol works well with zero issues. Also, if it doesn't work you can then try (at your own risk) acetone - but if it does then you avoided any potential risk with the acetone.
I would be extremely careful using ACETONE as it will dissolve a lot of plastics Quote from B&H Photo
"Do not use acetone. Acetone is a great cleaner, but, when used on camera lenses, it could have adverse effects on the plastic and paint of the lens barrel, as well as the optical coatings. Again, do not use acetone."
How to Clean Your Lens and Filters | B&H Explora

Personally I have used ACETONE to WELD plastics together!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 03-07-2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Add Image link
03-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #14

I've had isopropyl alcohol strip off the coating on a TC before (either a Tokina or Soligor back in the 80's). Alcohol goes nowhere near any of my equipment since then. Alcohol can also damage the finish and lettering on camera and lens bodies as well as the rubber parts.
03-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a lot of 4 Vivitar 24mm f2
So you have 4 copies total? You could use one to donate a rear element if needed. I've not worked on this specific Vivitar lens, but I have torn into I think a similar age Series 1 28-105. To get into that lens, I had to start by unscrewing the rear mount. I was basically able to feel my way through by just removing the next piece down as I went deeper and deeper. So, get a nice clean work area where you can spread out and just go at it. I'm going to guess that you're going to find that element held in place by a part that's going to need a lens spanner. Here are some samples:

amazon.com: lens spanner?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Regarding fluids to clean lenses, as already mentioned, stay away from acetone. Most cleaners seem to have alcohol or ammonia in them. You can search for the MSDS sheets and get an idea of what's in them. Here's a search for them for Eclipse:

MSDS Eclipse lens cleaner at DuckDuckGo

Of note, on some of my newer Pentax lenses (believe it was the DFA 15-30), there is actually a card saying not to use cleaners with alcohol.

And this may be of use - from Lens Rentals on what they do:

Lens Rentals | Blog