Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lenses for Capture in focus

Hello folks,
My Son will playing Track and Field this year. I started thinking about how to focus, so I consulted the manual. I was surprised when I read that it suggested to use a manual focus lens. Does the feature work very well, and what lenses do most of you use? I would need something in the 200mm and 100mm range. Cost isn't much of an issue, due to that I'm always looking for a reason to buy new lenses. That is, if the feature really works. I would prefer Pentax lenses.
Thank you for your help,
Terry

03-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Catch-in-focus isn't always the best method, but is is one of several viable methods for getting things in focus.

The best lens for this is likely the D FA* 70-200. I don't own the lens so let someone else confirm, but given the manual/AF switch and metal mount it meets the usual requirements for catch-in-focus. It's a very sharp lens but does cost nearly $2000. Try autofocus with it first. It's supposed to be fast and you might not need to use catch-in-focus at all.
03-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this article may be of interest to the OP and others:

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial
Snapping photos as soon as your subject gets in focus
By bdery in Articles and Tips on May 2, 2015
Catch-in focus is a powerful technique that allows DSLRs to use information from the autofocus system to confirm focus even when using manual lenses. What's more, with this technique the camera will automatically take a picture once your subject comes into focus! Easy to learn and master, catch-in focus can be a life-saver in some situations.

Read more at: Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

there are other articles that may be of interest as well such as:

Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports
High-speed photography: horse show jumping
By beholder3 in Articles and Tips on Apr 26, 2017

We probably all try out new things in photography because that can be fun. But it can also be a hard thing to do with a DSLR and all the dozens of settings you can use. Often some initial guidance helps.

Here we want to share some experience on shooting a certain type of sport (contrary to popular belief, Pentax cameras can well be used for this purpose!), actually some outdoor horse sports: show jumping. This is intended to get interested users going quicker and to provide an easy reference if you want to try it yourself, either because you are a rider as well, or maybe your kids and relatives are, or you just enjoy the sports and the horses from a photography perspective.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/dslr-sports-autofocus-s...#ixzz5hVqFwTbO

in this second article on how to shoot sports type subjects with Pentax gear we will again try to showcase one way to approach a certain type of subject scenario. The previous article can be found here: Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports.

Again this is intended to get interested users going quicker and to provide an easy reference for you, regardless if you use a Pentax, Canon, or Nikon DSLR. Most of the tips in this article should help you out with shooting sports, perhaps after converting some Pentax-specific terms.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/sports-shooting-focusin...#ixzz5hVpjxtfz

the techniques may help with many " action " shots

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.
03-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Catch-in-focus isn't always the best method, but is is one of several viable methods for getting things in focus.

The best lens for this is likely the D FA* 70-200. I don't own the lens so let someone else confirm, but given the manual/AF switch and metal mount it meets the usual requirements for catch-in-focus. It's a very sharp lens but does cost nearly $2000. Try autofocus with it first. It's supposed to be fast and you might not need to use catch-in-focus at all.
the OP could rent a D FA * 70-200mm f2.8 to try out before buying it:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

03-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

John,
I had know idea that lens could work. Good to know. Thank you.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this article may be of interest to the OP and others:

Catch-in-Focus Tutorial
Snapping photos as soon as your subject gets in focus
By bdery in Articles and Tips on May 2, 2015
Catch-in focus is a powerful technique that allows DSLRs to use information from the autofocus system to confirm focus even when using manual lenses. What's more, with this technique the camera will automatically take a picture once your subject comes into focus! Easy to learn and master, catch-in focus can be a life-saver in some situations.

Read more at: Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

there are other articles that may be of interest as well such as:

Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports
High-speed photography: horse show jumping
By beholder3 in Articles and Tips on Apr 26, 2017

We probably all try out new things in photography because that can be fun. But it can also be a hard thing to do with a DSLR and all the dozens of settings you can use. Often some initial guidance helps.

Here we want to share some experience on shooting a certain type of sport (contrary to popular belief, Pentax cameras can well be used for this purpose!), actually some outdoor horse sports: show jumping. This is intended to get interested users going quicker and to provide an easy reference if you want to try it yourself, either because you are a rider as well, or maybe your kids and relatives are, or you just enjoy the sports and the horses from a photography perspective.

Read more at: Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

in this second article on how to shoot sports type subjects with Pentax gear we will again try to showcase one way to approach a certain type of subject scenario. The previous article can be found here: Guide to Camera and Autofocus Settings for Shooting Sports.

Again this is intended to get interested users going quicker and to provide an easy reference for you, regardless if you use a Pentax, Canon, or Nikon DSLR. Most of the tips in this article should help you out with shooting sports, perhaps after converting some Pentax-specific terms.

Read more at: DSLR Guide for Shooting Sports II: Horse Racing - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

the techniques may help with many " action " shots
Allen,
Thank you for the links. Lots of good information. I'll read it all. Thanks.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 12:40 PM ----------

the OP could rent a D FA * 70-200mm f2.8 to try out before buying it:

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com
I've only been with Pentax for a year, and lack experience with the older manual lenses. Could you recommend a couple? I just want to do a comparison against another zoom. I just bought the 15-30 and new 50 for Christmas, and getting two Boys ready for Collage, so you can imagine what my lens budget would be. I thought I would be buying a manual lens. Again, Thank you.
Terry
03-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

For many sports, I prefer to shoot MF with MF lenses. That is, I do not use catch in focus.

I pre-focus the lens at the location where I expect to shoot and I shoot continuously (HI) when the subject is coming towards that area. Make sure that you use a fast shutter speed (1/500 s to 1/1,000 s or faster).

MF lenses tend to have a smooth and precise focus ring, which is much easier to use IMHO.

I use the above pre-focus technique often for sports like Volley-ball, Basket-ball and Running. At least, with running, light is not an issue. Indoor, I have to use fast primes (f1.4) and often shoot (f1.4) with medium-high ISO to allow a fast shutter speed. E.g., in VB, I prefer to shoot faster than 1/2,00 s.

Hope that the advice may help.
03-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
. . . I've only been with Pentax for a year, and lack experience with the older manual lenses. Could you recommend a couple? I just want to do a comparison against another zoom. I just bought the 15-30 and new 50 for Christmas, and getting two Boys ready for Collage, so you can imagine what my lens budget would be. I thought I would be buying a manual lens. Again, Thank you.
Terry
I'm a newbie at photography ( although I am pretty good at research and posting a lot ) so I don't feel qualified as any " expert "

check out the reviews, see if you want to rent anything for your own trials and ask for advice

Some some of us really enjoy suggesting how you should spend your money

you indicate that you have

K1 D FA 50mm f/1.4 D FA 15-30 D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone

which appears to me to be a nice kit

I have the non WR D FA 100mm F2.8 which I like as a macro and short telephoto. I don't have a K 1, but K 3 and K 3 II

( if you want to see to review my equipment, check the " about me " section under my name )

both the * lenses and the limiteds are well respected:

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

don't forget about " experienced " equipment you may be able to find at a good price I have had really good luck dealing with members in the forum's market place:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-07-2019 at 01:38 PM.
03-07-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm a newbie at photography ( although I am pretty good at research and posting a lot ) so I don't feel qualified as any " expert "

check out the reviews, see if you want to rent anything for your own trials and ask for advice

Some members really enjoy suggesting how you should spend your money

you indicate that you have

K1 D FA 50mm f/1.4 D FA 15-30 D FA 24-70mm f/2.8 D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
Irix 15mm f/2.4 Blackstone

which appears to me to be a nice kit

I have the non WR D FA 100mm F2.8 which I like as a macro and short telephoto. I don't have a K 1, but K 3 and K 3 II

( if you want to see to review my equipment, check the " about me " section under my name )

both the * lenses and the limiteds are well respected:

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

don't forget about " experienced " equipment you may be able to find at a good price I have had really good luck dealing with members in the forum's market place:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com
Yes, I consider my lens kit to be quite nice. It took me a year to accumulate them. My favorite is wide. I love the 15mm focal length. I don't have much need for long lenses.
Terry
03-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I consider my lens kit to be quite nice. It took me a year to accumulate them. My favorite is wide. I love the 15mm focal length. I don't have much need for long lenses.
Terry
" choose your " target " buy accordingly "

is a good idea
03-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For many sports, I prefer to shoot MF with MF lenses. That is, I do not use catch in focus.

I pre-focus the lens at the location where I expect to shoot and I shoot continuously (HI) when the subject is coming towards that area. Make sure that you use a fast shutter speed (1/500 s to 1/1,000 s or faster).

MF lenses tend to have a smooth and precise focus ring, which is much easier to use IMHO.

I use the above pre-focus technique often for sports like Volley-ball, Basket-ball and Running. At least, with running, light is not an issue. Indoor, I have to use fast primes (f1.4) and often shoot (f1.4) with medium-high ISO to allow a fast shutter speed. E.g., in VB, I prefer to shoot faster than 1/2,00 s.

Hope that the advice may help.
Hello there. You may be the perfect person to suggest a few mf lenses. I just searched the Market Place, and didn't see anything. I want to stay with Pentax. Your help is appreciated.
Terry
03-07-2019, 03:21 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I shoot sports quite often with manual lenses. Mostly windsurfing, riding and skiing/snowboarding. Depending on the scene and lens I use pre focus, focus set to infinity or catch in focus:

- Pre focus is good if you know exactly where the best action will be. Then you can make sure you have spot on focus. With K1 crop mode might be good idea to have faster burst.

- When you shoot action landscape it's often practical to pick a lens with short infinity focus distance. Then shooting is really easy. Just keep camera shooting. (My son took this one. I just set camera ready and gave it to him and told him to keep it rolling while I ski by )

- Catch in focus is good when you need to follow the target and try to find the right moments to shoot. Good light is needed for CIF to work realiably. I typically frame wider than I need to be able to crop to compose as only center focus point is used for CIF and therefore you need to keep target in frame.

Of course if you get modern lens with fast focus. K1 should be good enough to catch the action with AF, which is a lot easier.
03-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

In this focal range, the Samyang 135 works well with CIF, and is both cheap and very sharp...
03-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Hello there. You may be the perfect person to suggest a few mf lenses. I just searched the Market Place, and didn't see anything. I want to stay with Pentax. Your help is appreciated.
Terry
For sports, I use fast primes and the focal length depends upon the sport and from where I shoot. My two most used MF lenses (for sport) are the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 and the Zeiss 85mm f1.4. I use also the Pentax A50mm f1.2, but I prefer the VL58mm in terms of IQ.

Hope that it may help.
03-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If crop mode and manual focus are in play consider the 50-135 or 60-250 crop lenses.
03-07-2019, 06:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ive used CIF with the A70-210, and now the FA*80-200 on K1 both work great. The nice thing about using a more modern lens for cif like the FA* is the ability to use off center af points, which the older manual lenses dont seem to let you do.