Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Storing Lenses in Original Packaging

Hello,

Is it good to leave my lenses in their original packaging? Every time I swap between my lenses I put them back absolutely as they came in their original packaging in a wood cubby. I'm talking about putting them in their original plastic bag with silica gel, wrapped in bubble wrap, in the manufacturer's box with cardboard flaps shut and warranty card and such. Is this good? Or am I doing something very, very bad? haha. I live in a desert area so humidity is not an issue.

Thanks.

03-07-2019, 12:37 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

There's really no need to take this much care, and in fact I'd suggest in your climate it's better for the lenses to be stored such that there's some natural air-flow around them. Just keep them on a shelf, out of direct sunlight and ideally somewhere not too warm or cold
03-07-2019, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Keeping them in poly will certainly help with dust and contaminants, but moisture can be a problem (with a sealed poly bag). Putting a small bag of desiccant in the bag will eliminate that. It won't hurt to store the lenses as you mentioned, but it could make access a bit inconvenient. For portable use, I think I would find a better solution than unboxing and boxing the lenses so many times. For resale, it makes for better value with a good looking box, but re-storing the lenses often will place some wear and tear on their original boxes. Just some up and down sides to your issue.
03-07-2019, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I did that with all my lenses, I'd have nowhere to put them all! Personally, I keep mine on a shelf in a cupboard with the doors left ajar. I like the idea of airflow. No issues so far.

03-07-2019, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If I did that with all my lenses, I'd have nowhere to put them all! Personally, I keep mine on a shelf in a cupboard with the doors left ajar. I like the idea of airflow. No issues so far.
Mine are all in a small chest of drawers with mesh tool cabinet drawer liner material on the bottom. Just sitting on their rear caps or sides with the aperture set to its highest setting to take stress off the spring. I have plenty of desiccant packs in the drawers. OTOH I store the boxes in plastic tubs with all the original material in the box.
03-08-2019, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As BigMackCam and Paul the Sunman said, ventilation and some airflow is generally preferable to keeping equipment in a completely closed environment. Using the original packaging may cause problems over time by trapping contamination from surroundings captured when zoom controls and extension from focusing draw air into the lens during normal use of a lens. The dust, dirt, and possible fungal spores can easily lead to problems. Silica desiccant can only help to reduce humidity by a limited amount and doesn't remain effective long term. It has to be dried out periodically or replaced from time to time.
03-08-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The small desiccant packs have a very short working life, insofar as you need to remove the moisture from them once they are 'full', so if you're not doing that on a regular basis they're next to useless. You need to know the dry weight, and then dry them out once they've increased weight by around 40%.
03-10-2019, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Repeated Thread Topic

Seems like this topic is so interesting that it keeps generating new threads:
How do we store our lenses?
Lens Storage - is this ok? (2018)
Lens storage.... how do YOU do it?
Lens Storage
Camera Lens Storage and Humidity?
Lens Storage
Lens Storage
Lens Storage 2
Lens storage
Lens storage ...in case or not?

The two most professional sources are:
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
How to Protect Your Cameras and Lenses with a Wonderful Dry Cabinet
Lenses should not be stored in their original boxes or camera bags and particularly not in leather. That is just to protect them while in transit or travelling.
They need light and air circulating around them to avoid humidity so, assuming the humidity level is generally below 50%, it is best to keep the on an open shelf with the lens caps removed or if the humidity is higher than 50%, in a dry cabinet.
The problem with wood is that some wood gives off chemicals and also you don't know what the wood has been treated with. I think it is better to use either metal shelves or laminated shelves.
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
German optical instrument manufacturer Zeiss gives recommendations on how to store camera lenses:
Fungus on Lenses | ZEISS Service Information