Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the CZJ Pancolar MC 1.8/50 electric:

A couple of years ago I won an eBay auction for a Praktica VLC3 with that lens attached.
I had bought it mainly for the body, as I knew many East German professionals had used the camera (TTL open aperture measurement and exchangable viewfinders).
The lens seemed to be a welcome extra, as many members of German photographic forums found it to be an extremly good lens.
Both lens and body did rarely show any signs of usage, but the shutter was stucked!

So, before sending it back, I made a very quick comparing test with my 10MP K200D (resolution only, distance about 30m, all apertures) against my Helios 44-K4 and the Pentax A 1.4/50, and was not impressed. Maybe the Pancolar was a lemon, but from F 2 up to 5.6 both the Helios and the Pentax definitely were sharper.

Returning it still was a mistake. As I had initially been interested in the Praktica only, I had not investigated about the average prices of a Pancolar. I only later realized I had got the combo for half the price of what just the Pancolar would have cost on eBay!

03-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
About the CZJ Pancolar MC 1.8/50 electric:

A couple of years ago I won an eBay auction for a Praktica VLC3 with that lens attached.
I had bought it mainly for the body, as I knew many East German professionals had used the camera (TTL open aperture measurement and exchangable viewfinders).
The lens seemed to be a welcome extra, as many members of German photographic forums found it to be an extremly good lens.
Both lens and body did rarely show any signs of usage, but the shutter was stucked!

So, before sending it back, I made a very quick comparing test with my 10MP K200D (resolution only, distance about 30m, all apertures) against my Helios 44-K4 and the Pentax A 1.4/50, and was not impressed. Maybe the Pancolar was a lemon, but from F 2 up to 5.6 both the Helios and the Pentax definitely were sharper.

Returning it still was a mistake. As I had initially been interested in the Praktica only, I had not investigated about the average prices of a Pancolar. I only later realized I had got the combo for half the price of what just the Pancolar would have cost on eBay!
You likely got a defective copy. Perhaps it was decentered? The Pancolar should have easily resolved that 10MP sensor. Pentax does have some incredible lenses. I have yet to explore them all.
03-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would get the Zeiss between those two, and the Macro Tak if you can find a cleaner copy. Those clouds and the "cleaned with disinfectant" are red flags to me.
03-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Turbotak Quote
I would get the Zeiss between those two, and the Macro Tak if you can find a cleaner copy. Those clouds and the "cleaned with disinfectant" are red flags to me.
Yeah makes me wonder what he used. Probably just wiped it with lysol and called it a day. You can't just clean the element alone. The inside has to be thoroughly cleaned. If not the fungus will just come right back. They also didn't want to take a photo for me doing the flashlight test. Ten sellers so far are scared to do it.🤣

03-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How does this copy look guys?

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 03-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.