Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Screwed over again!

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe this! I brought what was advertised as brand new a Viltrox C/Y focal reducer. The damn thing is full of fungus! Came with a screwdriver. After removing the mount plate, the screws were full of rust. There's no way to remove the elements for cleaning.

Last edited by Prince Harbinger; 03-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.
03-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Raise an eBay returns request instead of opening it up.
03-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if it was stored in a damp warehouse.

Anyway, as @HarisF1 suggests, time to open an Ebay returns request... select "Doesn't work or defective", attach a photo or two, then wait.
03-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I wonder if it was stored in a damp warehouse.

Anyway, as @HarisF1 suggests, time to open an Ebay returns request... select "Doesn't work or defective", attach a photo or two, then wait.
It came with a silica bag. Also had finger prints on the optics. There was a scratch on the rear of the mount. They tried to cover it with a sharpie.

03-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Don’t buy new from ebay, amazon is better.
03-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Turbotak Quote
Don’t buy new from ebay, amazon is better.
Amazon doesn't have this focal reducer for sale. I also need the M42 version. The only one on ebay cost $500.00 I know it's not worth that much. Maybe $100.00 tops.
03-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
It came with a silica bag. Also had finger prints on the optics. There was a scratch on the rear of the mount. They tried to cover it with a sharpie.
I'd use lots of cuss words, but the mods would change 'em.

This situation sux, and it sounds like the seller was deliberately being untruthful.

Is this Viltrox C/Y focal reducer difficult to source elsewhere, or cost-prohibitive?

Edit: OK, I see the answer from your previous reply.

03-09-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don’t know what to say. I’ve been very fortunate with most of my online purchases. I am also a lot more cautious when purchasing from Foreign countries such as Russia and China. I typically avoid it if at all possible. Though I may chance it to buy a Helios from Russia. My best advice is buyer beware and ask specific questions regarding condition. You can also learn a little about the seller by how long it takes and their response. It’s not fool proof but it is better than nothing.
03-09-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You bought on eBay from China probably to save money instead of buying from a US retailer. B&H, Adorama, KEH and Amazon are the way to go.
03-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
You bought on eBay from China probably to save money instead of buying from a US retailer. B&H, Adorama, KEH and Amazon are the way to go.
This device appears to be difficult to source. OP has already stated that it is not available on Amazon.
03-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Incorrect! Ebay is the only place I could find it.
03-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

EBay is generally quite good at protecting buyers. I'd let them deal with it.
03-09-2019, 11:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If anyone can find me a brand new copy. Please share the link. I visted the brands site, and can't seem to find one. I contacted them via Instagram with no response. This is considered the best vocal reducer for C/Y mount. I watched a great comparison between four focal reducers, and this one beat the other three hands down.
03-09-2019, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe this! I brought what was advertised as brand new a Viltrox C/Y focal reducer. The damn thing is full of fungus! Came with a screwdriver. After removing the mount plate, the screws were full of rust. There's no way to remove the elements for cleaning.
Sorry to hear this.

I don't know how often you buy lenses and other photographic gear from eBay, but in my experience you have to get used to some disappointments. In some cases, sellers' descriptions are intentionally false. Most are, though, based on casual rather than detailed inspection of an item (I think), and it's possible this seller genuinely didn't notice the problem because of that.

Whenever I buy from eBay, unless it's from a reliable seller I've come to know over a period of time, I assume the worst. Usually, I'm pleasantly surprised, and I'm rarely disappointed. But sometimes, I'm disappointed - though I take that in my stride.

Even with known sellers, things can go wrong...

There's a very reputable seller of Soviet lenses in the Ukraine that I've bought many items from. Last year, I bought a "new / old stock" Zenitar-ME1 lens from him, sold as perfect in every way, and fully serviced. When it arrived, I inspected it, and though it was indeed cosmetically and optically perfect, there was oil on the diaphragm blades that prevented the mechanism from working. My conclusion, either his service guy had used the wrong lubricant, or he'd done a quick and dirty job by squirting some sort of lubricant thinner into the lens, and the result was migrated oil. I worked with him to agree a significant partial refund, and we were both happy. But I could have insisted on a return and full refund.

As mentioned already... eBay protects against this sort of thing. If your item isn't as described, you can return it and obtain a full refund. Sure, it's an inconvenience. But you'll get your money back.

You have a couple of options...

If you think you can service this item or get it serviced at a price you're comfortable with, explain this to the seller and suggest a partial refund.

Or...

Initiate a return request, return the item and get on with the rest of your photography. Don't give it another thought... it won't be the last disappointment you have with equipment bought remotely, so roll with it
03-09-2019, 06:17 PM   #15
Forum Member

Maybe adapt CY to ef, then use the ef to sony reducer?