Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IRIX 15mm -- Pros and Cons

I'm starting this thread because I personally have a love/hate relationship with this lens. Locked at infinity, it is great, the macro IQ set is more limited within the wide focusing ring.

The fact that this lens was highly touted by the Forum and the general reviews, makes me believe perhaps I'm not using it to its potential.

I would like to hear from the users/members of this thread as to their experiences with this lens. I find it to be underwhelming compared to the similar Pentax 15mm and SIGMA offerings.

Also, would like to hear what camera body you use it on. I have tried it on the K-3ii and the K-1--its size and bulk make it uncomfortable to use on the smaller camera bodies.

Looking forward to hearing from those of you who have experience with the IRIX.

03-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it. I've only used it on the K-1.

It's not a lens I grab very often, as I find the extreme wide field of view of challenging. However, there are times it is invaluable - for me it's when I'm photographing gardens. It's too wide for landscapes - maybe at times it might work for others, but for me, no. Shrink the landscape down to garden size and it's a great lens. I tend to use it on a monopod and use a loupe to focus accurately - works a treat.

I like the build and price, and the FL opens up possibilities that I could not capture before. The Pentax 15-30 is off-the-scale too large for me, so was never in the reckoning.

It's not a lens that I can compare with others that I own as it's a fair bit wider. My nearest FF lens is the wide part of the 24-70mm, which I dislike. The IRIX (my only non-Pentax) is far nicer to use and the IQ is, in my opinion, superior to the 24-70. (My 24-70 is OK at the 24 and 50-70 region, but hopeless around 35mm - the edges are very disappointing - so I am rather negative towards it. I don't feel the same about the IRIX.)

I own the FA 31 and wish there was an in production 24mm (small ish lens), then I'd have a IRIX 15, 24 and the 31 giving me a good wide coverage.

As an aside IRIX have been good to deal with. I've had several conversations with them and they do seem genuinely enthusiastic about their 'project'. I'm tempted with their 150mm, but I'm struggling to get an opportunity to try it as I'm concerned it will be too large for me.

A bit subjective, but there it is ...
03-09-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I purchased the Irix 15 Blackstone for my K1 and an inexpensive way to get UWA in tight spaces, specifically museum shots I needed to do for work. With my main ride, the Z, at the time I got the Irix I had no UWA option for the Z, and I didn't feel like springing for the 15-30. So it worked as a backup.

In terms of what I asked it to do, I thought it excellent, especially for the price. Since then I have gotten a 25 for the Z---lucked into a low priced one that had some serious wear on the outside but came from Lens Rentals sales branch, so I knew it was otherwise OK and it is. Now I can use that for most of what I need to do. Therefore the 15-K1 combo has gotten less use.

Also since then I managed to score a new 15-30 from B&H new for its lowest recorded price (it pays to look all the time!), and couldn't pass it up. I have not actively tested them against one another---too dang busy! But I am curious to do so.

I think the Irix 15 is great, and especially for its low distortion, excepting of course the stretching that occurs with all UWA toward the edge of the frame. I just wish there was a PP way to "squeeze" that back to normal by shrinking the format in, yet retain the wide view. But I have no complaints about this lens or its price.
03-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been using it with K-1 - for K-S2 I have brilliant 16-85, and extra one mm is not worth of the fuss. Optically Irix 15 is very good, and build quality leaves nothing to be desired. The lens is pretty heavy (at least in Blackstone variant), but balances well with K-1. I wish it had AF and more reliable infinity click - my copy rarely focuses at 'the click', usually I have to focus beyond infinity. So far my experience with the lens was very good, and I consider purchase of Irix 150mm.

Last edited by pentageek; 03-09-2019 at 04:03 PM.
03-09-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
I've been using it with K-1 - for K-S2 I have brilliant 16-85, and extra one mm is not worth of the fuss. Optically Irix 15 is very good, and build quality leaves nothing to be desired. The lens is pretty heavy (at least in Blackstone variant), but balances well with K-1. I wish it had AF and more reliable infinity click - my copy rarely focuses at 'the click', usually I have to focus beyond infinity. So far my experience with the lens was very good, and I consider purchase of Irix 150mm.
For texandrews: I see that you are looking for a way to minimize the edge distortions caused by wide angle lenses. I have been a big fan of wide angle lenses for years I found something that works (for me at least). I have been using Paint Shop Pro (either jasc or Corel versions) for quite a while. My current version is Corel PSP X6 (not the latest by any means). If you open a photo in PSP and go to the Edit screen select Effects>Distortion Effects>Punch. The amount of the effect is adjustable and if you play around with it you might be pleased. I know that PSP isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have always liked it. If necessary I suppose that you could download a trial copy to see if it works for you. I can only assume that the effect is present in the latest version. P.S. This is my first post on the forum so I hope that I am getting off on the right foot.
03-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kicking but no dust Quote
P.S. This is my first post on the forum so I hope that I am getting off on the right foot.
Sounds like a valuable suggestion to me! Welcome to the forum.
03-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like more positives than negatives so far. I will take mine out in a day or two and give it a whirl. I agree with Pentageek, it is one heavy lens and I've also had to focus it past infinity to get the IRIX to perform. I doubt it is just my copy because I"ve heard others cite that issue.

03-10-2019, 12:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Looks like more positives than negatives so far. I will take mine out in a day or two and give it a whirl. I agree with Pentageek, it is one heavy lens and I've also had to focus it past infinity to get the IRIX to perform. I doubt it is just my copy because I"ve heard others cite that issue.
Add mine needing to focus past infinity for infinity too, but oddly this is handy as on the infinity position and at f8 and above I'm actually focussing where I want to get everything in focus. I had reasoned this is what it was supposed to do 😁 - a useful feature ...
03-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kicking but no dust Quote
For texandrews: I see that you are looking for a way to minimize the edge distortions caused by wide angle lenses. I have been a big fan of wide angle lenses for years I found something that works (for me at least). I have been using Paint Shop Pro (either jasc or Corel versions) for quite a while. My current version is Corel PSP X6 (not the latest by any means). If you open a photo in PSP and go to the Edit screen select Effects>Distortion Effects>Punch. The amount of the effect is adjustable and if you play around with it you might be pleased. I know that PSP isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have always liked it. If necessary I suppose that you could download a trial copy to see if it works for you. I can only assume that the effect is present in the latest version. P.S. This is my first post on the forum so I hope that I am getting off on the right foot.
Great first post, AFAIC! I do have PSP, and will look into this ability in it! would be extremely helpful to me. I don't use PS at home, although it's available at work and sadly probably I must learn it more. Always seemed an amazingly awkward program to me, with the majority of it being far from intuitive. I've had PSP for years on my home machines because of costs. But I rarely use it, being (somewhat to my surprise...) pretty much a "straight" photographer. Now I have an excellent reason to look into it again. THANK YOU!
03-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Add mine needing to focus past infinity for infinity too, but oddly this is handy as on the infinity position and at f8 and above I'm actually focussing where I want to get everything in focus. I had reasoned this is what it was supposed to do 😁 - a useful feature ...
I like the IRIX because it seems to have less barrel distortion than some other wide angle lenses, and I'm ok in the infinity position, but up close, it is not as sharp as a $700 Pentax K-mount lens should be. At inifnity, it shines. I was just hoping for more utility than what I'm getting--that's why I started this thread to see what others are doing and how they are managing the limitations of this set-up.
03-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the IRIX because it seems to have less barrel distortion than some other wide angle lenses, and I'm ok in the infinity position, but up close, it is not as sharp as a $700 Pentax K-mount lens should be. At inifnity, it shines. I was just hoping for more utility than what I'm getting--that's why I started this thread to see what others are doing and how they are managing the limitations of this set-up.
What's "up close" ?
03-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
What's "up close" ?
Macro performance for still life close ups (flowers/other fauna, etc.)
03-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
water sealed, good to use with K1
03-11-2019, 04:43 AM   #14
Unregistered User

up-close and up-your-nose

This heavily cropped image was taken with an Irix 11mm "Blackstone" on a K-1, taken from about five feet from the cat. Could have been sharper with a 50mm prime or the 100mm macro prime, I reckon. This was taken to test the lens at the extremes of anticipated usefulness, and I thought it did pretty well.
03-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
This heavily cropped image was taken with an Irix 11mm "Blackstone" on a K-1, taken from about five feet from the cat. Could have been sharper with a 50mm prime or the 100mm macro prime, I reckon. This was taken to test the lens at the extremes of anticipated usefulness, and I thought it did pretty well.
DLH: I agree it is a good lens, but I think one can get a similar result in a smaller package. I take a lot of cityscapes and lugging the K-1 with the IRIX 15mm around all day, even on a monopod is a bit cumbersome....