Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #1

is this a good price for second hands lenses

hello people,

i'm fairly new to photography and a few months ago i bought the pentax K10D with the kit lens 18-55.

i'm looking to buy some new lenses but don't have a allot of budget to do so , so i was thinking about maybe buying some second hand lenses...to be honost i don't really know allot about lenses and which one to buy.

i got this offer

SMC pentax- 35mm;2,8
SMC Pentax- 28mm:2,8
+ Filters

both lenses and filters for the price of 80 euro's

now i would like to know if this is a good and fair price or is this a bit to much for these lenses, again i really don't know the prices of these things so i would like to have some input on that.

if the 80 euro's is a bit to much what would be a fair price...of course i understand that it all depends on the state these lenses are in but the guy thats selling them said they are in good condition.

i would appreciate the help

thanks in advance

10-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are these Pentax K or Pentax-M or Pentax-A lenses? It makes a big difference in price.
10-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
hey pentaxman, thnx for replying...to tell you the truth i have no idea...maybe you can say by looking at this picture (pic 2 is a bit better to see and clicking on it makes it bigger) i think they are pretty old lenses by looking at the body.

Pentax P 50
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Definitely find out if they "Pentax-A", "Pentax-M", or just plain "Pentax" (aka, "K", even though they won't actually say "K" on them). I don't know much about the 35/2.8, but the somewhat newer autofocus 35/2 was very much liked. As for the 28/2.8, the "A" version usually sell for somewhat over $100 US, the "M" version a little. There is no "K" version (although there is are f/2.0 and f/3.5 versions). If you haven't read up on how to use "M" lenses, do that before buying (there are threads about that here and on dpreview) - you might decide you'd rather spend the extra money on "A" if you're averse to using "M" mode on your camera.

Here's a site with lots of useful info on various older lenses:

Stan's Pentax Photography

No price info, but you could always check completed Ebay listings to find out the 35/2.8. Also go the KEH.com and see what they are charging.

10-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems like there are three lenses. One is on the camera, one in the lens case and one standing up on the left. The one on the left is a Vivitar telephoto. It looks a lot like a 135mm f2.8 but the listing says 120mm f2.8. The 135mm was pretty decent.

The lens that is on the camera is likely to be a Pentax-A, because it's black and the lens name lettering is not visible, hidden by the hood. If it was an M or K it would be visible. All you can tell is, it has a 49mm filter. I'd ask for the exact lettering around the front element of each lens, or better photos.

However, the short answer is, the lenses are easily worth 80 euros. They just might be worth a lot more.