Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where to buy old lenses?

Where else besides eBay and this forum do you guys find old Pentax lenses?

10-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Agreed! They're good about their condition ratings, too. I've seen other sites that call lenses "excellent" and when I look at the picture of the item, it's like "you've GOT to be kidding!" KEH is where I got my 135-600 F6.7
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM   #3

When you find the Mother Lode, please send me a PM...

The best stuff I have found came from thrift stores, by purchasing a whole kit. Some thrifts sell online.
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #4

I bought a couple of M series lenses form Vintage Visuals Photographic The lenses arrived packed up very nicely, in a timely manner, and they were in excellent condition as described.

10-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adorama and rarely craiglist.

Steve
10-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #6

The problem with Craigslist is that all the old camera gear is way overpriced. Everyone thinks their old K1000, one of about a gazillion made, and the JCPenney lenses are worth 60% of the original price. They are not.

Ebay is a good source, but I prefer to buy from sellers who do not do a lot of camera gear. Better to take someone's whole kit (estate) than get a lens that has been passed through a dozen hands. You are taking a chance, but you can get some really good stuff at a good price.
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rockdoctor Quote
I bought a couple of M series lenses form Vintage Visuals Photographic The lenses arrived packed up very nicely, in a timely manner, and they were in excellent condition as described.
They are one of my favourite places, too. Fair prices and accurate descriptions of the products. I got my M 100/4 macro from them.

10-02-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Independent local stores that still carry used gear are an option if you can find one. The places I've dealt with tend to be flexible on price if the lens has been sitting around for a few years.

I also had decent luck at a vintage camera show a couple of months ago, however the lenses I bought there were all m42 mount as they were selling for a large discount compared to newer bayonet mount lenses.
10-03-2008, 12:40 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
notice all the posters are 'across the pond' from me here in UK, any suggestions for this part of the world

UK Ebay prices for Pentax are silly (at least 50% up on a couple of years ago it would seem) but here in Sheffield used Pentax is almost unobtainable from the local stores. We have dozens, if not hundreds, of charity shops though
10-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
Inactive Account

I'm got my favourite lens from a hockshop for $25, an f1.2 50mm K. You heard me. It's actually a pretty good time to go hockshop...shopping, because most of the film cameras - and especially Pentax - are dismissed as old and useless, wherease that Kodak 2MP point-and-shoot with tagged at $150. It's Pentax, baby! There's a ton of manufacturers of K-mount lenses out there. Chinon, Cosina, Tokina, and the Rikenons have a bit of a more...upmarket cachet.

Like jocko says about Craiglist up there, eBay down here is just painful for me. Part of the joy, the romance, what have you, of shooting Pentax for me is saying, "Yeah, I took that on a $25 Rikenon."

The field's split on eBay.com.au fairly evenly between idiot prices ("MZ-60, no lens, $300") and idiot bidders. People'll bid annoying amounts - I mean annoying, in that they'll pay KEH.com prices for a secondhand lens in worse condition on there. Like paying $70 for a Tokina f2.8 28mm, the one that's famous for oil on the aperture blades. Someone paid over $60 for a non-working, definitely non-mint Canonet QL19.

They could let others walk away with a bargain, yet would choose to rip themselves off instead. Whether this is out of malice, stupidity, ignorance, or perhaps some weird phenomenon that only strikes when on eBay, who knows.

I blame Lomography, and I blame it a lot for other things too - idiots just thinking that paying more money somehow raises the quality of an object, even if its secondhand.
10-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #11

KevinCameras

I remember stumbling upon this site when I was doing my search for legacy lenses a few months ago. I have no idea in regards to the quality and reliability of the place, but it looks like they have a lot of nice used glass and even a few Pentax Shift Lenses. I'll try and check it out one day since it's about 20 minutes from home...that and i'd like to check out the 1.7x tele
10-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
notice all the posters are 'across the pond' from me here in UK, any suggestions for this part of the world

UK Ebay prices for Pentax are silly (at least 50% up on a couple of years ago it would seem) but here in Sheffield used Pentax is almost unobtainable from the local stores. We have dozens, if not hundreds, of charity shops though
Yeah, except they've already all been raided by folks like US!
Plus, I bet some charity shop staff have got savvy and are selling such things on eBay for more money.
10-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #13

Goodwill has always been good to me. Or other thrift shops, you'd be surprised at the stuff people get rid of. Pawn shops might be another good one, depending on the area you're in.
10-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #14

Actually, craigslist works pretty well if you monitor it frequently. For every nut trying to sell an old film camera with a 50mm f.2 on it for $200, you can find someone selling or even giving away an old camera with lens still attached. The overpriced folks never do sell, and finally they either keep their equipment or in some cases, give it away at nothing or next to nothing. I bought an SF1n body with 3 lenses for $40. Sold 2 of the 3 lenses (they were zooms) for $30, so I got the remaining body and lens for -tada- $10. But even better, I got my 50mm A 1.7 attached to a broken Program Plus - for freeeee.
Ya just gotta be patient on craigslist.
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote

UK camera shops - a database of camera shops and photographic manufacturers plus information on digital and classic cameras

I've bought camera accessories from Ffordes in Beauly, but not lenses. I scour the lists every now and then, though.

Living in Oxford, the Oxfam photographic sales are always interesting. Their stores have a fairly prominent presence in these parts, as one would expect.