Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hood on the FA31

Has anyone managed to take off the hood for the FA31? I understand it's a fixed hood, meant never to be removed, however I am curious as to whether some gently DIY can see it to coming off? Why? Oh... various reasons, perhaps it' is cosmetically damaged and prefer the look of it off. Perhaps you want to preserve the cap and are concerned with losing it in the field.
Anyway I don't own one, I'm just curious, from the images it looks like it has a groove that might suggest it can come away?

Cheers,

Bruce

03-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With a hacksaw perhaps

ps. Are you mad 😠
03-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it might come off but inspecting mine, I suspect would not be easily to do as it appears pretty integral to the lens.

P.S. I was a little worried about the hood before getting the 31 but its turned out to be a non problem for me and in fact a strength. Its a very small hood but I'm pleasantly surprised with the lenses flare resistance. The good is great too. The only thing is that it restricts your filter options (I'm happy with the screw on filters I have though).
03-13-2019, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Photos: Albums
It can be take off.

I accidentally dropped mine FA31 and 2 of the 3 screws that hold the hood brooke, so I had to discover how to disassemble it to replace then.

It is fairly simple to do. There is a ring, I think people call it 'vanity ring'. It can be unscrewed with a pressure tool. Beneath it, there are the screws that hold the hood.

That being said, removing the hood will let the front element much exposed and unprotected. If some want to remove it, will also have to make some kind of replacement tube, as the filter thread will also be removed, because it is a part of the hood.

But the hood on the 31 is so well made and an elegant part of the lens, I don't se the point in get it off.

But yes, it is removable.

PS: The lens survided, it have some nasty scratches, but it works and is fine now.

03-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
It is fairly simple to do. There is a ring, I think people call it 'vanity ring'. It can be unscrewed with a pressure tool. Beneath it, there are the screws that hold the hood.
Did the filter threads go with the hood?

Steve
03-13-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
With a hacksaw perhaps

ps. Are you mad 😠
Yes, but not about this

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Well it might come off but inspecting mine, I suspect would not be easily to do as it appears pretty integral to the lens.

P.S. I was a little worried about the hood before getting the 31 but its turned out to be a non problem for me and in fact a strength. Its a very small hood but I'm pleasantly surprised with the lenses flare resistance. The good is great too. The only thing is that it restricts your filter options (I'm happy with the screw on filters I have though).
This would be one of many reasons for removing the hood. Other reasons include keeping the lens cap in mint condition by storing it away, and then of course also keeping the hoods in mint condition also (FA43 and 77 hoods are removed from mine and replaced with screw on ones). This helps in resale I find, because a speciality cap and hood that shows no scratches or dinks is always nice and attractive.

Here's how my Fa 43 and 77 look;

We have a UV filter first, a step up ring to 52mm to take some ND and CPL filters I have (stops me having to fork out funds for a new set and keeps my carry on item list down), then a screw on hood and generic cap to go on hood.

I am yet to decide on a proper WA lens for landscape work where I might want CPL and ND filters. I do have a lensbaby velvet 56 lens that takes 62mm thread filters, so I may replace the 52mm ones I have with a set at that mm range, and use step up rings (acts as a hood also) for the Ltd's to get me there (The FA 77 pictured actually is taking a 62mm lens cap there and can take a 62mm thread filter directly on that hood if one wishes too (perhaps not ideal but usable in certain scenarios).

When I owned the retractable Ltd's lenses I also kept those hoods back and used a generic metal one;

I don't mind them being there, but I also shoot events and when placing the lens face down in a pouch a retractable lens just retracts and thus the front element is touching the lining of the pouch, not ideal. I am also a little concerned the FA31 hood will be a tad too short to provide a good enough buffer between the lining of the pouch and front element. The hood pictured above on the silver KP is sitting on a F28 right now with no impact on vignetting, so it's possible something like that might work better.

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
I accidentally dropped mine FA31 and 2 of the 3 screws that hold the hood brooke, so I had to discover how to disassemble it to replace then.

That being said, removing the hood will let the front element much exposed and unprotected. If some want to remove it, will also have to make some kind of replacement tube, as the filter thread will also be removed, because it is a part of the hood.

But the hood on the 31 is so well made and an elegant part of the lens, I don't se the point in get it off.

But yes, it is removable.

PS: The lens survided, it have some nasty scratches, but it works and is fine now.
I would be interested in knowing what you mean by 'pressure tool'? The intention would be to use the filter threads to put a new generic metal hood in it's place, like I have done with my other FA Ltd's (pictured above).

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yeah... take yer FA31 apart again and this time take pics and report back
03-13-2019, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
This helps in resale I find,
So you are thinking of selling your FA limiteds one day?

Are you mad?

03-13-2019, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you just want filter flexibility, I picked up a 'spacer ring' and then step up from that.
03-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

Are you mad?
For me, it would be like cutting off limbs!
03-13-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA limiteds all come with excellent hoods, each unique, and either very compact, or retractible. Same with the DA limiteds for that matter. The hoods are one of the features of the series and add to the joy of owning them.

At least the FA43 is a simple matter of unscrewing. Why you would want to remove it (unless you want to use a specific filter) is beyond me.

I presume you haven't actually removed the FA77's hood - just leave it retracted and screw in that clunky third party monstrosity over the unnecessary filter

If you you ever get your hands on a FA31, don't even think about trying to remove the hood! The offer of my spare copy is indefinitely revoked until you repent in writing
03-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

Are you mad?
Yes actually, I may need to if seeking the FA31. Once I own a FA31 I intend to put it through it's paces, it may be that I determine that the 43 is no longer necessary, between the 31 and 77 (and my feet ) I can make do and recoup some of my financial expense.
I have a history of owning lenses, looking after them and keeping them in pristine condition, using for a year or so and sell on and move to the the next lens. I've done this with a HDDA15, HDDA21, HDDA35Macro, FA50, DA50, Samyang85/1.4 and DA40XS. I would love to have the kind of income whereby I could support a collection but unfortunately it really is a case of one in and one out type affair.
I also own a Sol45 which is a similar FoV with obvious different properties, not comparing it any more to the FA43 but that I do have something different around that focal length that I can use if I really have to shoot something at 43-45ish.

Believe me if I could I'd love to hold onto it, I'm just a realist is all. Also there are only so many primes you can take to a job, even if that prime is small it will still occupy a pouch and I can only have so many lens pouches around my waist

There is also of course talk of the possibility of the FA Ltd's getting a HD Coating sometime down the line (now that we have a HD FA 35/2). Gossip I'm sure but still...

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
If you just want filter flexibility, I picked up a 'spacer ring' and then step up from that.
How many spacer rings does it take for you to pass the hood do you know? I think that would be the best way for me to proceed if I owned one.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
For me, it would be like cutting off limbs!
haha, dramatic much!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The FA limiteds all come with excellent hoods, each unique, and either very compact, or retractible. Same with the DA limiteds for that matter. The hoods are one of the features of the series and add to the joy of owning them.

At least the FA43 is a simple matter of unscrewing. Why you would want to remove it (unless you want to use a specific filter) is beyond me.

I presume you haven't actually removed the FA77's hood - just leave it retracted and screw in that clunky third party monstrosity over the unnecessary filter

If you you ever get your hands on a FA31, don't even think about trying to remove the hood! The offer of my spare copy is indefinitely revoked until you repent in writing
I think people must see me as some kind of monster Somehow unappreciative... I'm not, I like the hoods too! (although I think there was one retractable ltd, perhaps the 15 or 21 but it meant that you needed to use a spacer to pass the hood before using a filter (or at least the filter I had), anyway I think it meant vignetting was unavoidable with the use of a filter or something.. I forget, it was a tad bit annoying). It all depends on how you shoot, casual, paid or what etc. I can totally understand how a casual shooter might appreciate going out for a walk with a single prime not worry about a hood, just pull it forward, get the shot etc. I do that too sometimes! But othertimes when in 'serious mode' I have a different setup. The hoods cannot retract, they must provide a buffer between the front element and bottom lining of the pouch. No lens caps, we need fastest swapping prime possibilities, no exceptions. It's for this kinda scenario I am scoping out the options of the FA31, I was just curious if the hood could come off. I took a hood off either the K200 or Tak 135 (can't recall which) but it was dead easy (was a retractable one) and have a filter hood in it's place, suiting the way I do jobs far better.

And no, the FA77 hood is simply retracted

UV Filters as well, they're a must for me. I have done my testing and research and chose specifically a brand that showed no loss in IQ that I or the reviewer could see. Not once has someone said my work was lacking in IQ, not once has there ever been the suspicion of having a UV filter over the front of my high quality glass. Heck I bung CPL and ND filters over them whilst I'm at it! Not once has there been a criticism of IQ from any landscape and waterfall work done. It's the Emperors New Clothes! Or... placebo or whatever... It's the first thing I did Sandy with your F28 was to rocket blow the front element then place a UV filter over it
Two reasons, one it provides extra protection but most important of all is I can wipe them quickly without being overly fussy or caring about the possibility of harming the filter due to dragging some harsh artefact across during the clean, speed often matters the most rather than being slow and wary. But even if there was a loss of IQ, say 5-10% or something, I would still put one on for the reasons I outlined above, the positives outweigh any loss in IQ imo.

Haha, and of course I wouldn't be removing the hood off yer 31! I only created this thread to see if it could be done with minimal fuss, I have seen other FA31's that have pretty bashed up hoods, tbh I think them removed and replaced with a new hood (perhaps possible to find I dunno...) or just a different hood in it's place might look better.
03-14-2019, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think people must see me as some kind of monster
well, there is a monstrous alter ego inherent in your user name - we have to be careful
03-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
well, there is a monstrous alter ego inherent in your user name - we have to be careful
03-14-2019, 02:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have seen an FA31 with the hood removed, it was a rather straightforward affair involving a speed steel cutting tool and a CNC lathe. I have to say the end result looked a bit odd.

My own FA31 has undergone some modifications with the application of extra flocking to the rear baffle to reduce flare.
03-14-2019, 05:12 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Well, look again at my lens and the thread is not a part of the hood piece. You can remove the hood and keep the thread.

But the lens will still be exposed, as the hood also covers the focus group helicoids. A replacement tube will still be necessary, to protect the innards of the lens.

ps: sorry guys, no pics of the thing. I don't like to disassemble the FA31. It's kinda painfull

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

I would be interested in knowing what you mean by 'pressure tool'? The intention would be to use the filter threads to put a new generic metal hood in it's place, like I have done with my other FA Ltd's.

It's usually a plastic tube, of the same diameter of the ring. You press it against the ring and turn it. I use a spare plastic tube from my scratches, that had the same diameter of the inner ring. This vanity ring have no marks or holes to pick to turn it.

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 09:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

My own FA31 has undergone some modifications with the application of extra flocking to the rear baffle to reduce flare.
I kinda like the way the flare happens with the FA31. Sometimes gives a moody atmosphere, an old 'hipsterized' look, withouth any kind of filter or processing.

Last edited by sungibr; 03-14-2019 at 05:20 AM.