Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

How many spacer rings does it take for you to pass the hood do you know? I think that would be the best way for me to proceed if I owned one.
Just one 1 1/2 inch (I’m pretty sure of the length) spacer ring is enough. Then I step it up to a 77mm step-up ring, then my filter. Works fine.

03-14-2019, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I recently got a 12mm "extender" for mine (a bit less than 1/2"). I bought it through the thrashbay from China because I wanted to give it a go on macro (645 reverse ring + 645 adapter + extension rings and/or bellows) and see how it performs. I still haven't taken the time to try it out, but I will.
It turns out there's no vignette, so I leave it there all the time. Scratches on the finish don't bother me, since I got it used and already in that condition from this forum.
I was also looking into removing the hood on a lathe and found a new hood to cost around $70 shipped, but since there's no vignette with this extender, I just figured I'd killed two birds with one stone.
With a thin UV filter, it will extend just a bit enough behind the fixed good (turns out 12mm is a bit short by half a mm), so that you could use a 58-62 step up ring and use bigger filters and a cap.

03-14-2019, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I recently got a 12mm "extender" for mine (a bit less than 1/2"). I bought it through the thrashbay from China because I wanted to give it a go on macro (645 reverse ring + 645 adapter + extension rings and/or bellows) and see how it performs. I still haven't taken the time to try it out, but I will.
It turns out there's no vignette, so I leave it there all the time. Scratches on the finish don't bother me, since I got it used and already in that condition from this forum.
I was also looking into removing the hood on a lathe and found a new hood to cost around $70 shipped, but since there's no vignette with this extender, I just figured I'd killed two birds with one stone.
With a thin UV filter, it will extend just a bit enough behind the fixed good (turns out 12mm is a bit short by half a mm), so that you could use a 58-62 step up ring and use bigger filters and a cap.
Brilliant!

It might also be noted that some simple circular metal hoods may well have adequate clearance.

Steve
03-14-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Brilliant!
Thanks, Steve.
It might also be noted that some simple circular metal hoods may well have adequate clearance.
Yes, but most, if not all, available are 58/62mm and don't fit. I already had that experience with metal hoods. The fixed one on the lens isn't that much wider than 58mm.
Above is a metal hood as mentioned, and below is the spacer ring (see attached picture). They're held in place by a cheap 58mm reverse filter K mount adapter (in order to put a filter between the subject and the exposed rear element and mount). I ordered it as a 12mm Ř58mm spacer, but as you can see, it came marked as "for canon G15 58mm", so you might get lucky going that route and get a better deal.
It's just a matter of trial and error. A step up ring on top of the spacer and using 62 mm cap and thin filters might work. But it's certainly pushing the limits. As it is, I don't get any vignetting at f/22 on my Pentax film cameras. At least on digital, you can remove any in pp software, maybe if it appears strongly between f/1.8-8.

Last edited by torashi; 03-14-2019 at 11:32 AM.
03-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, but most, if not all, available are 58/62mm and don't fit.
Indeed...short "stovepipe" hoods in 49mm thread have become scarce as hen's teeth as of late.

In case it is not clear, the extender you use was intended to allow filter use with a Canon G-series fixed lens camera. I had a similar extender that I used on my G-2 several years ago. The extender fits over the lens to threads at the lens base and is sized to allow the full focus and zoom range without vignette. It also doubles as a hood on those cameras.

Steve
03-14-2019, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I double-checked and the spacer ring I have is 1inch from camera-filters.com
03-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never even considered using a filter on the 31mm Ltd - anything that changes the unique rendering would be a minus, to me, and I've got other lenses that can shoot at 31mm.

Just thought you'd like to know

03-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have seen an FA31 with the hood removed, it was a rather straightforward affair involving a speed steel cutting tool and a CNC lathe. I have to say the end result looked a bit odd.

My own FA31 has undergone some modifications with the application of extra flocking to the rear baffle to reduce flare.
Savage! Here's a man that knows no fear!

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
Well, look again at my lens and the thread is not a part of the hood piece. You can remove the hood and keep the thread.

But the lens will still be exposed, as the hood also covers the focus group helicoids. A replacement tube will still be necessary, to protect the innards of the lens.

ps: sorry guys, no pics of the thing. I don't like to disassemble the FA31. It's kinda painfull

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 09:16 AM ----------

It's usually a plastic tube, of the same diameter of the ring. You press it against the ring and turn it. I use a spare plastic tube from my scratches, that had the same diameter of the inner ring. This vanity ring have no marks or holes to pick to turn it.

---------- Post added 03-14-19 at 09:44 AM ----------

I kinda like the way the flare happens with the FA31. Sometimes gives a moody atmosphere, an old 'hipsterized' look, withouth any kind of filter or processing.
Sounds like the hood should definitely just stay and work around it with spacers if need be.

I too like the flare from the FA Ltd's I own, it's semi controlled, not outrageous but nice enough for it to exist. If they do release HD ones I'd want to compare, we'd lose flare for sure but gain better contrast etc, hmm... fantasy decisions.
03-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Indeed...short "stovepipe" hoods in 49mm thread have become scarce as hen's teeth as of late.

In case it is not clear, the extender you use was intended to allow filter use with a Canon G-series fixed lens camera. I had a similar extender that I used on my G-2 several years ago. The extender fits over the lens to threads at the lens base and is sized to allow the full focus and zoom range without vignette. It also doubles as a hood on those cameras.

Steve
Yeah, I had a PowerShot that in order to use filters needed a beauty ring removed and a filter accessory installed. I figured it was something like that, or like the Fuji x100 series.

03-14-2019, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Lol, FYI, if anyone is using this lens on APS-C, this is the way to go:

Just tried it on my K-5. Perfect setup in case of flare, and no vignetting.
03-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lol, FYI, if anyone is using this lens on APS-C, this is the way to go:

Just tried it on my K-5. Perfect setup in case of flare, and no vignetting.
Obviously not a wide-angle on APS-C

Steve
03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Obviously not a wide-angle on APS-C

Steve
Lol, not at all. But a nice 50/1.8 equivalent. Even looks like a D-FA* 50/1.4 for crop. XD

03-22-2019, 12:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

<<I recently got a 12mm "extender" for mine (a bit less than 1/2"). I bought it through the thrashbay from China>>

Could you please post the exact name of the extender you bought on ebay, or a link to the item? I can't find this item, with those dimensions, on ebay.

Would be possible to mount an ultra slim filter directly on the 31's threads inside the hood? The space is very, very small so there may not be filters that exist that are that slim. Thanks.
03-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
<<I recently got a 12mm "extender" for mine (a bit less than 1/2"). I bought it through the thrashbay from China>>

Could you please post the exact name of the extender you bought on ebay, or a link to the item? I can't find this item, with those dimensions, on ebay.

Would be possible to mount an ultra slim filter directly on the 31's threads inside the hood? The space is very, very small so there may not be filters that exist that are that slim. Thanks.
Here's the link to the one I bought:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163197920650
You might also want to search for "58mm threaded spacer tube / extension ring",
"Canon G15 58mm filter adapter" and similar and see what turns up.
If you put a really slim filter before the spacer, it won't vignette on FF. As far as regular filters go, they aren't too big in diameter to be hindered by the hood from entering and screwing in. I've used many brands with no problem. Even rotating filters.

03-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Here's the link to the one I bought:
58mm threaded 12mm extension tube / spacer ring | eBay
You might also want to search for "58mm threaded spacer tube / extension ring",
"Canon G15 58mm filter adapter" and similar and see what turns up.
If you put a really slim filter before the spacer, it won't vignette on FF. As far as regular filters go, they aren't too big in diameter to be hindered by the hood from entering and screwing in. I've used many brands with no problem. Even rotating filters.
Thanks, I've ordered the spacer in the link. I'm surprised most filters will fit inside the hood given the tiny amount of space. I just received the FA 31 today, completing my set of The There Amigos, and was wondering how to use filters on it so this was very helpful.