Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2019, 01:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

77m Filters, they ok?

Hi peeps!

I just wanted to ask if there was any shortcomings of using 77mm thread filters (CPL, ND etc). I am still using 52mm CPL and ND filters from a time when I had the DA50/1.8. I no longer have that lens but mostly use lenses that are around 49mm (so I use step up rings to continue using those 52mm filters). I now have to rethink things slightly, I have a lensbaby velvet 56 (62mm) and a Sigma 10-20 that takes a 77mm (I think..). Anyway... there's a couple of UWA lenses that seem to use 77mm that I am interested in the future (DA14/DA12-24) and both are 77mm thread for filters.
Is this the maximum size thread for filters? I guess it kinda makes sense to collect filters in this mm tread and then use step up rings for all the other lenses that I might utilise for those filters? I kinda want to keep cargo down, one set of filters for all etc. I'm totally cool with making my lenses look uncool with stepup ring hoods etc.

But yeah, what's the issue with 77mm filters, are we all cool and good with them? I mean I know the issues surrounding CPL's and WA lenses etc, I tend to shoot a lot of waterfalls and the like, where CPL can be useful for reflections etc (uneven blue skies is not such a big deal).

It could be that if there was an issue with going up to 77mm filters that this may make me seek alternative lenses with smaller filter threads...

TIA!

Bruce

03-15-2019, 02:06 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Is this the maximum size thread for filters?
FotodioX make a 186mm circular polarising filter. I don't think you're anywhere near approaching any limit.
03-15-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than presenting an odd appearance when stepped up from 49mm, I know of no issues.
03-15-2019, 03:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Other than presenting an odd appearance when stepped up from 49mm, I know of no issues.
Please discuss further. I have never known any oddities with my filters as my step ups have only been from 49mm to 52mm. What oddities might you expect? Severe vignetting etc?

03-15-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Please discuss further. I have never known any oddities with my filters as my step ups have only been from 49mm to 52mm. What oddities might you expect? Severe vignetting etc?
Appearance- looks weird 🤔
03-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Appearance- looks weird 🤔
Hmm... can you expand at all? Maybe comparisons or something? What kinda weirdness?
03-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It could be that if there was an issue with going up to 77mm filters that this may make me seek alternative lenses with smaller filter threads...
No known issues other than having a bigger surface to get dirty (and subsequently clean) or a bit funky appearance on the lens. Maybe useful to have 77mm lenscaps to match so you're not force to unscrew/screw every time you move location.

03-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm... can you expand at all? Maybe comparisons or something? What kinda weirdness?
Some of my lenses are 49mm and some of them are 95mm (and other points in between). Mountjng a 95mm filter on a 49mm lenses make it look like

you have a teacup saucer on the front of your camera. A little weird but perfectly functional and no worries about vignetting on a wide angle lens.

Last edited by Derek; 03-15-2019 at 04:55 AM. Reason: mispeelt something
03-15-2019, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Main issues should include that step-up rings can sometimes get stuck (I avoid this by using magnetic Xume filter rings). A bigger problem for the K-1 landscaper is that you’ll get vignetting on the 24-70 because its filter thread is 82mm, and that the 15-30 requires a non threaded filter system. 77mm filters are an expensive way to go if you’re not working with APS-C or primes.
03-15-2019, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
and a Sigma 10-20 that takes a 77mm (I think..)
That Sigma takes an 82mm filter and should be low profile. I have a CPL for mine, but due to weird results when using CPL at such wide angles, I would not do it again.
03-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can have my 150mm Lee system. With enough step up rings they'll fit anything
03-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He means that the lens with filter will look weird - not that pictures made will be affected. The giant filter on the smaller lens will be strange looking.

Also the big downside to me is the inability to use the native hood of a lens. If you want a hood it will need to be 77mm screw in and you will need several versions to cut various focal lengths. Additionally some lenses built in hoods may make fitting step rings difficult.
03-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

filters come in various sizes, my largest is 86mm

I have " protective " and cpl filters

I have had problem with the snap on caps coming off so I get filter stack caps

General Brand 55mm Filter Stack Cap FA913 B&H Photo Video

and use the " male " part as a screw in cap.

if you take the " protective " filter off, as I do, when I take the photo, you can store the filter in the filter stack

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-15-2019 at 05:53 AM.
03-15-2019, 06:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have filters from 49mm to 82mm and no issues other than low profile filters for my Sigma 10-20mm and Sigma 17-50mm. Protective filters come off when shooting but no issues with CPL and ND filters.
03-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #15

The difference between the 49/52 and 77/82 lenses is quite big, but otherwise a good solution to lenses with different filtersizes is a square filter system like that of Kood, Cokin, Formatt Hitech, Lee and Singh-Ray (growing quality and price, not all available brands though). Cokin certainly is not the best in filter quality but their A- and P-system did provide for modular hoods that can be attached to the holder (and that to the lens). This is the best way to use both filter and hood. The Lee system does have a hood but that is in quite a different league size-wise and thus bulky and awkward to use.

There is a new Chinese made filter-system that is cheaper than Singh-Ray but more expensive than Formatt Hitech which also sports some kind of hood. I cannot remember the brandname though.