Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 55
Pentax 11-18 vs Pentax 12-24

Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between the Pentax 11-18 and the Pentax 12-24 from F8 to F2.8.
I took the pictures simultaneously, hope they are helpful.

Pentax11-16_VS_Pentax12-24 | Flickr

03-19-2019, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,224
Thanks for the comparison. In your Flickr account the photos listed as 11mm are the 11-18 and those at 12mm are the 12-24. For some reason the EXIF doesn't name the lens in all the information listed.

The 12-24 seems to be holding up pretty darn well IMHO. (Especially at $1400 vs $700 new - and $400ish used for the 12-24).
03-19-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 11
Iíll second that thanks.

And I agree, apart from the chromatic aberration, the 12-24 still looks mighty good.
03-19-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Madaboutpix's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 464
Sure appreciated, those sample shots, Marcos.

Agree with Robert and hypermodern: the real surprise, if surprising at all, is not so much that the new lens performs with its price tag, but how well the 12-24 holds its ground even in 2019. Actually, I wouldn't have minded at all if they had kept it in the line-up as an F4 alternative. Or had even mark-II-ed it with newer (SP and HD) coatings, following the example of the refreshed HD FA35, or the HD DA Limiteds.

03-19-2019, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,715
The 12 does look good.

I'm always surprised how just 1mm can make such a difference in the FOV. Any chance you have a Sigma 10-20 you could throw into the mix?
03-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks for the comparison. In your Flickr account the photos listed as 11mm are the 11-18 and those at 12mm are the 12-24. For some reason the EXIF doesn't name the lens in all the information listed.

The 12-24 seems to be holding up pretty darn well IMHO. (Especially at $1400 vs $700 new - and $400ish used for the 12-24).
You're welcome, and right about the lenses. I don't know why the exif doesn't show all the information.

---------- Post added 03-19-19 at 02:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
Iíll second that thanks.

And I agree, apart from the chromatic aberration, the 12-24 still looks mighty good.
You're welcome, and yes, the oldie looks better than I thought.

---------- Post added 03-19-19 at 02:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Sure appreciated, those sample shots, Marcos.

Agree with Robert and hypermodern: the real surprise, if surprising at all, is not so much that the new lens performs with its price tag, but how well the 12-24 holds its ground even in 2019. Actually, I wouldn't have minded at all if they had kept it in the line-up as an F4 alternative. Or had even mark-II-ed it with newer (SP and HD) coatings, following the example of the refreshed HD FA35, or the HD DA Limiteds.
You're welcome.
I agree with you, I would love those sunstars but with better flare resistance.

---------- Post added 03-19-19 at 02:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
The 12 does look good.

I'm always surprised how just 1mm can make such a difference in the FOV. Any chance you have a Sigma 10-20 you could throw into the mix?
Sorry, those are my only ultrawides.
03-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,100
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I'm always surprised how just 1mm can make such a difference in the FOV.
Me too! It also affects how the photographs look, both lenses seem to produce quite rectilinear pictures (especially compared to the DA 15), but the wider FOV of the 11-18 seems to make the scene look brighter. And at f2.8 there really is no comparison.
03-19-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 344
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Hi guys,

Here is a comparison between the Pentax 11-18 and the Pentax 12-24 from F8 to F2.8.
I took the pictures simultaneously, hope they are helpful.

Pentax11-16_VS_Pentax12-24 | Flickr
Thanks for the comparison Mbaez!
Have you checked the new lens for decentering? It's a bit hard to judge from this scene but it looks to me like your right hand side is more smeared than your left hand side?

03-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Thanks for the comparison Mbaez!
Have you checked the new lens for decentering? It's a bit hard to judge from this scene but it looks to me like your right hand side is more smeared than your left hand side?
No, I have not. Do you think I should send it back?
03-19-2019, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter
SSGGeezer's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Maine, U.S.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,657
I think there is nothing at all wrong with the 11-18. It looks marvelous!
03-19-2019, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,715
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Sorry, those are my only ultrawides.
No apology necessary - it was a long shot, and figured if you had it, probably would have already posted, but had to ask.

I'm sure someone around here will have all three, and hopefully they'll post out some samples.
03-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,537
I think it would be crazy to eliminate the DA 12-24mm f/4 just because they have a pro-level 11-18mm f/2.8 lens at twice the price available. That would put having a rectilinear ultra-wide out of range for many Pentax photographers. If one needs the f/2.8 for low light shooting and the WR construction, the new lens still beckons, but not otherwise doable at that price for many, while having the/4 lens would be doable.

They are planning to have a more compact, less expensive DFA 70-200mm f/4 in addition to the DFA* 70-200mm f/2.8 lens are they not?
03-20-2019, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 580
Thanks Mbaez. I'm sure in high contrast / high flare situations the 11-18 will spank the 12-24. Plus it is WR, has quiet AF, and is f/2.8.
The 12-24 is no slouch though. I always preferred it over the DA 15.

I do think both lenses show very minor de-centering, common with zoom lenses. Within manufacturing parameters. 11-18 slight softness on the right. 12-24 slight softness on the left. Best seen at f/4.
03-20-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 55
Original Poster
More samples with the 11-18

Friends, here I have more samples if you want to look at them. This time I used only the 11-18.

SOC samples with the Pentax 11-18 2.8 | Flickr

---------- Post added 03-20-19 at 07:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Thanks Mbaez. I'm sure in high contrast / high flare situations the 11-18 will spank the 12-24. Plus it is WR, has quiet AF, and is f/2.8.
The 12-24 is no slouch though. I always preferred it over the DA 15.

I do think both lenses show very minor de-centering, common with zoom lenses. Within manufacturing parameters. 11-18 slight softness on the right. 12-24 slight softness on the left. Best seen at f/4.

You're welcome!

And it's true. This new lens is very resistant to flare. You can check it here:

SOC samples with the Pentax 11-18 2.8 | Flickr

Last edited by Mbaez; 03-20-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
exif, flare, flickr, hd, information, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax 11-18 vs, pentax lens, pm, post, samples, slr lens, soc, softness, vs pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 vs MZ-S vs LX vs PZ-1p vs ist*D vs K10D vs K20D vs K-7 vs....... Steelski Pentax K-5 2 06-28-2017 04:59 PM
Lens opinion: 18-35 vs 12-24 vs 20-40 vs 16-50 Greinerstudio Pentax DSLR Discussion 38 06-25-2016 11:05 PM
Sigma 12-24 EX DG vs Pentax 12-24 F4 maxloxton Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-08-2016 08:00 AM
Happy 11.11.11 11:11:11 m8o General Talk 10 11-12-2011 08:17 PM
Sigma 12-24 vs Pentax 12-24 NaClH2O Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 01-19-2007 03:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top