Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA Therapy

OMG, we need like a coping centre or clinic. Stupid lens was sold in the same province and its been like 10 days and its still not here!

I'm like dying...Trouble sleeping, exams, wondering if the rumors are true and there is oil on the aperture blades, cosntantly wondering where the lens is...

Haha help is close to home for those of us in Toronto. CaMH - Centre for Addiction & Mental Health

"Hi sir, how may I help you?"
"I ha...have LBA.."
"OMG!", (lady grabs the mic to the loudspeaker) "WE nEED a CONTAiNMENT UNIT TO THE LOBBY FAST!"

02-28-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's interesting to see a little bit of a 'cultural' difference between my Minolta crowd and the Pentaxians. On The world of the Minolta mount digital SLR - dyxum.com where I am a senior member, there is a great focus on creating the perfect lineup for your needs.

I know a lot of us were buying and selling lenses to create the smallest possible kit with the least redundancy that filled our needs. I got my collection down to five focal lengths:

Fisheye, Normal, Short Portrait, Long Portrait, Wildlife. For me this translates to a list of takumars:

17, 35, 50, 85, 300.

No need for more lenses, no LBA whatsoever. It's the perfect kit for most of my shooting, can fit entirely in a Slingshot, and I never have to decide what to take and what to leave.

LBA only exists of you want it to!
02-28-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh hey thanks alot for the Dyxum site! The lens reviews were great. Helped me solidify my decision to buy the Sigma 24-135. Its been a great lens and still is. (The aperture ring needs fixing and the menu blanking is annoying but all and all pretty good for $150CAN.)

Yea I mostly shoot primes too. Just that when I saw that Vivitar 28-90 (hopefully my lasty zoom pursuit) haha..It had "cult lens" written all over it. and seeing as how both my 28 primes and my 35 prime have sticky apertures, I couldn't resist. Although I heard oil in the 28-90 was a common problem...just hope it ain't true.

I mostly just take out my XR 50/2 (or SMC 50/2), XR 135/2.8, Flash + bounce card, and blower brush. All fits into a LowePro miniNova.

Last edited by FotoPete; 02-28-2007 at 10:15 AM.
02-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
It's interesting to see a little bit of a 'cultural' difference between my Minolta crowd and the Pentaxians. On The world of the Minolta mount digital SLR - dyxum.com where I am a senior member, there is a great focus on creating the perfect lineup for your needs.

I know a lot of us were buying and selling lenses to create the smallest possible kit with the least redundancy that filled our needs. I got my collection down to five focal lengths:

Fisheye, Normal, Short Portrait, Long Portrait, Wildlife. For me this translates to a list of takumars:

17, 35, 50, 85, 300.

No need for more lenses, no LBA whatsoever. It's the perfect kit for most of my shooting, can fit entirely in a Slingshot, and I never have to decide what to take and what to leave.

LBA only exists of you want it to!
Hi Damian, sorry but this simply won't do. It's just to damn...er...healthy. I (and I'm sure I speak for a goodly portion of Pentaxians) wouldn't know what to do with all the spare time this kind of behavior would generate. I mean no more thrice daily visits to KEH to see if anything remotely interesting has come in? No more hours surfing eek bay trying to find the PERFECT LENS AT THE PERFECT PRICE? No more futile obsessing over a lens you know you can't afford. No more trying to juggle the family buget so you can get the complete set of BOTH limiteds? Where's the fun in that? No more anxiety of the kind FotoPete is suffering from above? What would his therapist say? I mean if I were serene and calm all day people would think I was weird! Not only that but not indulging in LBA is very bad for the economy. Just think of all the e-retailers, lens makers, bumper sticker makers and etc that depend on our fully developed LBA! You'd be taking food from the mouths of their children! Fie!
Not only that but think about all the exercise we get lugging around all those lenses. Everybody knows that good exercise leads to a good heart! I will respectfully submit that carrying a 15kilo (33lb) bag full of LBA lenses is much better for your heart that some slimmed down unhealthy 5kilo (11lb) bag. You want us all to get overweight and die from heart consumption? Terrible, simply terrible.

NaCl(LBA is good for you...trust me )H2O

02-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lol NaCl....well put. Don't get me wrong...Minoltians spend as much time searching out the deals as the pentaxians...but often the results are more buy&sell, trade, and refine rather than collect.

I've noticed with my takumar lineup, my overall kit is more compact, but just as heavy as before!

BTW I spent years with GAS (Gear Acquisistion Syndrome) in bikes, computers, and then cameras. I'm trying to keep off that wagon
02-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I'm managed to narrow it down in past weeks. ugh..lol

+ Down to One Camera Forum (PF instead of DPR, DCR and Steves)
+ Still surf Bojidar's KMount Page...but less
+ Not played around with my camera stuff in a week
+ Vivitar 28-90 (maybe) to be my last zoom unless I encounter a cheap s1 70-210 f3.5
+ Haven't visited the camera store in a few weeks now
+ broke so no more LBA in a while

- Still surf ebay but can't stop looking up those damn Russian Zeiss copies
- Still neglecting studies, Lens Googling
- Thinking about KEH
- broke
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

My problem is I like to shoot so many different subjects. The fisheye (10-17) is a must have lens. Love wideangles so the 16-45 has to go into the bag ( maybe act Minoltian here and replace it with 12-24 someday). nothing beats the 31 for quality and as a normal lens so it goes into the bag. I would never be without the 77 for normal short tele shots into the bag with it. Macros are my thing so the DFA100 goes into the bag with the mini softbox. The longer end is handled by the A70-210. This isn't long enough for wildlife so I ordered
the A400 Pentax( thanks Roscot). The 40 pancake is the perfect single walk about lens (and so small) it will probably make it to the bag unless I buy the 43 instead. Could end up with both. Recently was looking at the 250-600 Pentax for sale on this site. Good thing he wants some one to pick it up. Don't live close. Argghhh.

Minoltians want to refine their kit to the smallest number of lenses possible.
I say Pentaxians think the heck with that, buy a bigger bag and work out to be able to carry it. Golfers have caddies. Why can't we have photo caddies?
Must look at that 250-600 again. 11 lbs! Arghhh.
thanks
barondla
03-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm with Barondla. My regular kit is :
18-55 for wide (<28)
FA28/2.8 - Normal
F50/1.7 fast
FA100/2.8 Macro - Macro and fast tele
DA50-200 - Length

If I'm not shooting anything specific, these lenses are in my bag.

Ive been toying with the idea to replace the 18-55 with a wide prime (DA21mm maybe?, DA14mm? dunno. I like small size.

03-01-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I usually take just the SA 18-55mm, XR 135mm/2.8, and RMC II 200mm/3.5

Both the 28 primes I have are aperture sticky. Same with the 35mm. My Sigma 24-135 lost aperture ring function. I don't know what happened. The ring turns but the camera stops down to F32 regardless of which position, except "A".

I'm hoping that when my Vivitar 28-90 comes in, it will be my primary walkaround and say throw in a 135mm prime.

About wideangle, I'd say ust go with whatever fits your budget. Those Ltd. Pancakes are going to cost you. The DA14 prime sells for as much as the DA12-24...haha so..maybe if you are willing to drop $800CAN on the DA14..maybe try out the ultrawide zoom as well.

The DA16-45 is a pretty solid option. Mostly $400CAN. Its pretty good as you get equiv. of 24mm on the wide end.
03-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
About wideangle, I'd say ust go with whatever fits your budget. Those Ltd. Pancakes are going to cost you. The DA14 prime sells for as much as the DA12-24...haha so..maybe if you are willing to drop $800CAN on the DA14..maybe try out the ultrawide zoom as well.

The DA16-45 is a pretty solid option. Mostly $400CAN. Its pretty good as you get equiv. of 24mm on the wide end.
Budget is a huge part of my dillema. Takes me a long time to save up for any of these, hence by the time I actually get to spending it, it's hard to let it go.

I've toyed with the DA16-45 option for a while too. I had discounted it because of it's size, but it's half-way back on the table because of ease of use. It might also become more available on the used market with the release of the * lenses.

We'll have to wait & see.
03-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
OMG, we need like a coping centre or clinic. Stupid lens was sold in the same province and its been like 10 days and its still not here!

I'm like dying...Trouble sleeping, exams, wondering if the rumors are true and there is oil on the aperture blades, cosntantly wondering where the lens is...

Haha help is close to home for those of us in Toronto. CaMH - Centre for Addiction & Mental Health

"Hi sir, how may I help you?"
"I ha...have LBA.."
"OMG!", (lady grabs the mic to the loudspeaker) "WE nEED a CONTAiNMENT UNIT TO THE LOBBY FAST!"
Oh that was good! CaMH should have a ward for LBA'ers.

I'm prolly going to be the rare odd man out from the Pentaxian crowd. Because of my limited cash, I probably think like a Minoltian. Get the best gear with minimal money spent. I'm still building it, slowly but surely. But man, at times do I ever have this itch to buy (place your lens here)
03-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, you aren't alone on that thought haha. My cash is limited too, actually I'm like broke right now. Can't even afford an Industar 50/3.5 pancake from Russia. Haha, the most expensive lens I have is the Simga 24-135 ($150 CAN).
03-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #13

Luckily I haven't caught bad case of LBA yet. I was on the verge, but it passed. I'm currently 110% happy with my Sigma 17-70, which covers all my basic needs. I'm planning to get one longer tube, one wider one and one macro and be done with it. Unless, of course, someone offers me a job(s) and actually pays for my lenses and other accessories stuff

Hardest thing is to priortise: should I get next a sturdy tripod or new lens? Or ring flash? Or new bag instead? Now that's a tough decision.
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well just think about the possible uses for a tripod and how much of that you actually use. One of the biggest benefits of the K-Mount is its extensive backwards compatibility. Theres alot of cheap MF lenses floating around on the market.
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
Hardest thing is to priortise: should I get next a sturdy tripod or new lens? Or ring flash? Or new bag instead? Now that's a tough decision.
Hmmm...skip the tripod, since I have a $20 special which does the trick, I may need a bag, but my $5.00 walmart purchased lunch bag can hold my lenses for now (and bubble wrap is awesome!). Ring flash...hmmm that's a though but I need a real flash first, then LENSES LENSES LENSES!!!!