Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

D FA 70-200mm compatibility with 1.4x L teleconverter

want to know if the rear converter A2XL will work on a k 1 with the DFA*70-200 f2.8 lens. thanks for any info.

03-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't believe it will fit since there's an element at the very back of the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't believe it will fit since there's an element at the very back of the lens.
thank you, would you know or recomend a converter for the DFA* 70-200 and K1 combo?
03-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something to try would be the F 1.7 AF converter. It isn't fully AF but it does offer semi Autofocus - you dial in close and then let it finish.

03-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m away from home, but the A 2x-S might work or the K T6-2X (which is not a great TC for IQ). I can try them Saturday.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
03-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
thank you, would you know or recommend a converter for the DFA* 70-200 and K1 combo?
A crop camera?
03-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The DA 1.4 AW Rear converter TC should also work, particularly with the K-1 shooting in crop mode. The DFA 70-200 is on the list of compatible lenses for that TC:

HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING

03-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The DA 1.4 AW Rear converter TC should also work, particularly with the K-1 shooting in crop mode.
I'm afraid it's the only combination which keeps Shake Reduction working correctly - no other converter out there seems to convert the focal length reported by the lens. I don't own that combo, but there have been several posts about the amount of vignetting, which is to be expected. It wasn't entirely limited to the APS-C image, but also not covering the K-1 sensor completely. The newest, relatively speaking, Kenko 1.5x (I use the Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ, but with a Sigma HSM OS lens) and Tamron 1.4x converters, which have all the necessary contacts, should work, but will cause the SR to under-compensate.
03-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A crop camera?
no the K1 is full frame
03-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
as noted in the in depth review of the DA 1.4:

" Note that the A1.4X-L rear Converter cannot be used with most lenses including the DA*300mm lens due to the converter's protruding front element. Thus, the DA converter is much more versatile than the older A1.4x-L converter. "

Read more at: Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - DA 1.4x and A 1.4X-L Compared | PentaxForums.com Reviews

this language about the DA 1.4 appears interesting:

" We mounted the converter on a film body and did not notice any particular vignetting in the viewfinder with lenses 20mm or longer. This is not to say that the converter will be usable in practice with a full frame DSLR should Pentax release one, since firmware could prevent its use. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-14x-aw-af-rear-converter/conc...#ixzz5iuGbH3mJ

has anyone tried the DA 1.4 on the K 1 or K 1 II shooting full frame ?

since the OP is from the United States a rental of the DA 1.4 might be one way to test without buying the converter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2019 at 06:32 AM.
03-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
no the K1 is full frame
What Sandy is saying - oh so pithily - is the DFA 70-200 mounted to an APS-C camera (like the KP) would be somewhat akin to a K-1 + DFA 70-200 + (theoretical) 1.4x teleconverter.
03-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
has anyone tried the DA 1.4 on the K 1 or K 1 II shooting full frame ?
Alas there don't seem to be many examples anywhere online of the combo of K-1 + DFA 70-200 + the DA 1.4 TC shooting in either APS-C or FF mode. But there are numerous reports of the DA 1.4 TC performing well in FF mode on K-1 - but the results are very lens dependent..
03-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Sandy mentioned putting it on the Kp, K3, K3ii, K70, etc. will get 24mp into the crop zone of the lens which is more than the 16mp in the crop zone you get from the K1 in crop mode - allowing for higher detail when you need reach. It is likely that the DA 1.4x would work both in K1 crop mode and on the crop cameras without limitations but I don't have any direct evidence of this.

---------- Post added 03-22-19 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'm afraid it's the only combination which keeps Shake Reduction working correctly - no other converter out there seems to convert the focal length reported by the lens. I don't own that combo, but there have been several posts about the amount of vignetting, which is to be expected. It wasn't entirely limited to the APS-C image, but also not covering the K-1 sensor completely. The newest, relatively speaking, Kenko 1.5x (I use the Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ, but with a Sigma HSM OS lens) and Tamron 1.4x converters, which have all the necessary contacts, should work, but will cause the SR to under-compensate.
While this is true of the AF TC's the 1.4x-S and 2x-S manual focus converters (A series or not) will not transmit the SR data and allow the body to be set to whatever SR value you want - if manual focus is sufficient.

My past experiments using the 1.4x-S vs. the DA 1.4x lead me to think the 1.4x-S A version is very close to the same performance at least with my FA* 300 f4.5 used on a K-3.

The 1.4x-S should also cover the FF sensor without problems.
03-22-2019, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Like Sandy mentioned putting it on the Kp, K3, K3ii, K70, etc. will get 24mp into the crop zone of the lens which is more than the 16mp in the crop zone you get from the K1 in crop mode - allowing for higher detail when you need reach. It is likely that the DA 1.4x would work both in K1 crop mode and on the crop cameras without limitations but I don't have any direct evidence of this.

---------- Post added 03-22-19 at 11:07 AM ----------

While this is true of the AF TC's the 1.4x-S and 2x-S manual focus converters (A series or not) will not transmit the SR data and allow the body to be set to whatever SR value you want - if manual focus is sufficient.

My past experiments using the 1.4x-S vs. the DA 1.4x lead me to think the 1.4x-S A version is very close to the same performance at least with my FA* 300 f4.5 used on a K-3.

The 1.4x-S should also cover the FF sensor without problems.
The HD DA 1.4 vignetting is quite manageable and often would be cropped in any case. I'm pretty sure mine used with my 60-250 gives me about 28-30 MP files when cropped to avoid vignetting. So you're still better off using the K-1 and 1.4 rather than the K-3 I usually use, as long as the critter is close enough. Just leave a bit of crop room around your subject. And remember, my K-3 images are also often cropped. It's not like I have a pile of images that are 100% un-cropped. Cropping provides more advantages than just removing vignetting. There's a pretty good chance you'd be doing it in any case.

That's how I'd handle it.

I use the 1.4 with my DA*200 often, but, you'll find 280mm isn't really that long on an FF camera.
03-22-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The HD DA 1.4 vignetting is quite manageable and often would be cropped in any case. I'm pretty sure mine used with my 60-250 gives me about 28-30 MP files when cropped to avoid vignetting. So you're still better off using the K-1 and 1.4 rather than the K-3 I usually use, as long as the critter is close enough. Just leave a bit of crop room around your subject. And remember, my K-3 images are also often cropped. It's not like I have a pile of images that are 100% un-cropped. Cropping provides more advantages than just removing vignetting. There's a pretty good chance you'd be doing it in any case.

That's how I'd handle it.

I use the 1.4 with my DA*200 often, but, you'll find 280mm isn't really that long on an FF camera.
I would defer to Norm - he has a lot of experience with this. Norm what about the F 1.7x converter?