Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new Albany IN
Posts: 368
D FA 70-200mm compatibility with 1.4x L teleconverter

want to know if the rear converter A2XL will work on a k 1 with the DFA*70-200 f2.8 lens. thanks for any info.

03-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,222
I don't believe it will fit since there's an element at the very back of the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new Albany IN
Posts: 368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't believe it will fit since there's an element at the very back of the lens.
thank you, would you know or recomend a converter for the DFA* 70-200 and K1 combo?
03-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,021
Something to try would be the F 1.7 AF converter. It isn't fully AF but it does offer semi Autofocus - you dial in close and then let it finish.

03-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,920
I’m away from home, but the A 2x-S might work or the K T6-2X (which is not a great TC for IQ). I can try them Saturday.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
03-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,599
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
thank you, would you know or recommend a converter for the DFA* 70-200 and K1 combo?
A crop camera?
03-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,584
The DA 1.4 AW Rear converter TC should also work, particularly with the K-1 shooting in crop mode. The DFA 70-200 is on the list of compatible lenses for that TC:

HD PENTAX-DA AF REAR CONVERTER 1.4X AW / Converter / AF Lens Adapter / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
03-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 525
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The DA 1.4 AW Rear converter TC should also work, particularly with the K-1 shooting in crop mode.
I'm afraid it's the only combination which keeps Shake Reduction working correctly - no other converter out there seems to convert the focal length reported by the lens. I don't own that combo, but there have been several posts about the amount of vignetting, which is to be expected. It wasn't entirely limited to the APS-C image, but also not covering the K-1 sensor completely. The newest, relatively speaking, Kenko 1.5x (I use the Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ, but with a Sigma HSM OS lens) and Tamron 1.4x converters, which have all the necessary contacts, should work, but will cause the SR to under-compensate.

03-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new Albany IN
Posts: 368
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A crop camera?
no the K1 is full frame
03-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,830
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't believe it will fit since there's an element at the very back of the lens.
as noted in the in depth review of the DA 1.4:

" Note that the A1.4X-L rear Converter cannot be used with most lenses including the DA*300mm lens due to the converter's protruding front element. Thus, the DA converter is much more versatile than the older A1.4x-L converter. "

Read more at: Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - DA 1.4x and A 1.4X-L Compared | PentaxForums.com Reviews

__________________________

this language about the DA 1.4 appears interesting:

" We mounted the converter on a film body and did not notice any particular vignetting in the viewfinder with lenses 20mm or longer. This is not to say that the converter will be usable in practice with a full frame DSLR should Pentax release one, since firmware could prevent its use. "

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-14x-aw-af-rear-converter/conc...#ixzz5iuGbH3mJ

has anyone tried the DA 1.4 on the K 1 or K 1 II shooting full frame ?

_______________________________________________________________________

since the OP is from the United States a rental of the DA 1.4 might be one way to test without buying the converter


https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2019 at 06:32 AM.
03-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,231
QuoteOriginally posted by retired2007 Quote
no the K1 is full frame
What Sandy is saying - oh so pithily - is the DFA 70-200 mounted to an APS-C camera (like the KP) would be somewhat akin to a K-1 + DFA 70-200 + (theoretical) 1.4x teleconverter.
03-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,584
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
has anyone tried the DA 1.4 on the K 1 or K 1 II shooting full frame ?
Alas there don't seem to be many examples anywhere online of the combo of K-1 + DFA 70-200 + the DA 1.4 TC shooting in either APS-C or FF mode. But there are numerous reports of the DA 1.4 TC performing well in FF mode on K-1 - but the results are very lens dependent..
03-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,021
Like Sandy mentioned putting it on the Kp, K3, K3ii, K70, etc. will get 24mp into the crop zone of the lens which is more than the 16mp in the crop zone you get from the K1 in crop mode - allowing for higher detail when you need reach. It is likely that the DA 1.4x would work both in K1 crop mode and on the crop cameras without limitations but I don't have any direct evidence of this.

---------- Post added 03-22-19 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'm afraid it's the only combination which keeps Shake Reduction working correctly - no other converter out there seems to convert the focal length reported by the lens. I don't own that combo, but there have been several posts about the amount of vignetting, which is to be expected. It wasn't entirely limited to the APS-C image, but also not covering the K-1 sensor completely. The newest, relatively speaking, Kenko 1.5x (I use the Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ, but with a Sigma HSM OS lens) and Tamron 1.4x converters, which have all the necessary contacts, should work, but will cause the SR to under-compensate.
While this is true of the AF TC's the 1.4x-S and 2x-S manual focus converters (A series or not) will not transmit the SR data and allow the body to be set to whatever SR value you want - if manual focus is sufficient.

My past experiments using the 1.4x-S vs. the DA 1.4x lead me to think the 1.4x-S A version is very close to the same performance at least with my FA* 300 f4.5 used on a K-3.

The 1.4x-S should also cover the FF sensor without problems.
03-22-2019, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 31,873
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Like Sandy mentioned putting it on the Kp, K3, K3ii, K70, etc. will get 24mp into the crop zone of the lens which is more than the 16mp in the crop zone you get from the K1 in crop mode - allowing for higher detail when you need reach. It is likely that the DA 1.4x would work both in K1 crop mode and on the crop cameras without limitations but I don't have any direct evidence of this.

---------- Post added 03-22-19 at 11:07 AM ----------



While this is true of the AF TC's the 1.4x-S and 2x-S manual focus converters (A series or not) will not transmit the SR data and allow the body to be set to whatever SR value you want - if manual focus is sufficient.

My past experiments using the 1.4x-S vs. the DA 1.4x lead me to think the 1.4x-S A version is very close to the same performance at least with my FA* 300 f4.5 used on a K-3.

The 1.4x-S should also cover the FF sensor without problems.
The HD DA 1.4 vignetting is quite manageable and often would be cropped in any case. I'm pretty sure mine used with my 60-250 gives me about 28-30 MP files when cropped to avoid vignetting. So you're still better off using the K-1 and 1.4 rather than the K-3 I usually use, as long as the critter is close enough. Just leave a bit of crop room around your subject. And remember, my K-3 images are also often cropped. It's not like I have a pile of images that are 100% un-cropped. Cropping provides more advantages than just removing vignetting. There's a pretty good chance you'd be doing it in any case.

That's how I'd handle it.

I use the 1.4 with my DA*200 often, but, you'll find 280mm isn't really that long on an FF camera.
03-22-2019, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,021
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The HD DA 1.4 vignetting is quite manageable and often would be cropped in any case. I'm pretty sure mine used with my 60-250 gives me about 28-30 MP files when cropped to avoid vignetting. So you're still better off using the K-1 and 1.4 rather than the K-3 I usually use, as long as the critter is close enough. Just leave a bit of crop room around your subject. And remember, my K-3 images are also often cropped. It's not like I have a pile of images that are 100% un-cropped. Cropping provides more advantages than just removing vignetting. There's a pretty good chance you'd be doing it in any case.

That's how I'd handle it.

I use the 1.4 with my DA*200 often, but, you'll find 280mm isn't really that long on an FF camera.
I would defer to Norm - he has a lot of experience with this. Norm what about the F 1.7x converter?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.4x, converters, crop, da, focus, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, sr, zone
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Sigma 70-200mm HSM DG to Pentax D-FA 70-200mm Malsi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 12-03-2017 08:15 PM
Anyone tried the Kenko Teleplus DG 1.4X MC4 Teleconverter with the Tamron SP 70-200mm TheGrandPrixKid Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 04-16-2016 07:10 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma EX 70-200mm f2.8 + 1.4x EX DG Teleconverter Mile High Sold Items 5 02-14-2010 02:32 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter & Quantaray 2x Teleconverter DaveInPA Sold Items 15 09-24-2009 06:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top