Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 09:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA* 16-50 2.8 for bid at Goodwill

Came across this while feeding my LBA. Thought some here might be interested.
SMC Pentax-DA 16-50mm 1:2.8 Zoom Camera Lens - shopgoodwill.com

If this is not legal to post I am sorry and ignorant.

03-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Isoflex Quote
. . .
If this is not legal to post I am sorry and ignorant.

I believe you're fine. Typically though, I think such threads are posted in the Pentax Price Watch department:
Pentax Price Watch - PentaxForums.com
03-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #3

OMG I had avoided that damb web site for months. Now I'll have to check it out. There goes a few hours

Just having a little fun 😉
Thanks
Photobill
03-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Isoflex. I was watching it , now everyone is. There are some good buys on Shopgoodwill. I have learned that its also possible to get skinned. Its fun trying anyway. I got a like new 55-300 PLM in the box with owners manual and warranty card For $207.00. Focus and aperture didn't work. I found a simple and fast fix and have been wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with this lens.

03-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
I found a simple and fast fix and have been wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with this lens.
What was the fix?

Never had an issue with my PLM, but this would be interesting to know.
03-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had complete failure to focus. Looking thru the OVF I could find nothing in focus at any distance. Zooming in and out and watching thru the OVF I could find no point in focus. This made no sense to me as I felt some point should be in focus. On pressing the shutter button a hum could be heard for a moment. I didn't want to try taking the lens apart or spend more than its value on repair. This lens has the lock button, press and turn to put in operational position. From lock, pressing the release button and turning, a small click can be felt as the ring turns. I wondered if that might be a switch or contact being tripped so I held the button down and turned back and foruth from lock to operation about a dozen times. Was hoping to free up a stuck switch or rub clean a dirty contact. The focus moved a bit on pressing the shutter button so I repeated the process and the lens started working. I cant explain what happened. Perhaps as I guessed a dirty contact or stuck switch freed up. Anybody's guess what happened to the lens before I got it, or why it wound up at goodwill. As is said it came in like new condition, not a mark, scuff or a speck of dirt. There was slight damage to the corner of the box.
03-22-2019, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not in the serial number database here so working SDM is unknown.

03-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be advised: Review recent completed PF sales for known to be screw-drive converted DA*16-50/2.8 in otherwise EX+ condition and no decentering or optical issues, from a known, trustworthy seller with good photos. Discount heavily for uncertainty.

And that is not the correct hood pictured.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-22-2019 at 10:00 PM.
03-22-2019, 10:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always a crap shoot buying off goodwill. Never any guarantee and buyer beware. Sometimes win, sometimes lose. I am betting that lens is SDM failed and maybe other issues, but it might be fine. Buyer must decide how much to risk for the possible gain. Might be a parts lens. I always wonder what the story is on some of the things which show up on the site. Who donates diamond jewelry worth thousands? Some one often does.
03-23-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by catfishjohn Quote
Who donates diamond jewelry worth thousands? Some one often does.
Someone who realizes that unless it is antique, it is worth perhaps 20 cents on the dollar that was paid for it. In other words, better as a tax write off in many cases.
03-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the Lens Serial Number database it appears this lens was manufactured around 2010.
03-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
I believe you're fine. Typically though, I think such threads are posted in the Pentax Price Watch department:
Pentax Price Watch - PentaxForums.com
Thanks! I figured I wasn't quite right on the placement. And sorry catfish, I kinda knew I'd sideswipe someone on the forum but might make more happy! If someone on here gets it I'd like to know how it turns out. I "won" my bid on a film camera with 3 lenses and flash. One of the lenses is a FA 80-320 hopefully it will work out... There, probably just ticked off another member!
03-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #13

I know that Goodwill gets a lot of there stuff from people making them the beneficiary for when they pass away.
Has anyone ever tried going to the location that has the item up for action to test before bidding?