Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
20 Rolls of Expired Film / 2016

Should I trash it? or, If I use what should I expect? Does the type of film matter? Thanks

Tmax 100
Tri-X 400
Ilford SFX 200
Fujichrome Velvia 50 / 100 / Pro 400H / Provia 100F
Rollei CR 200

03-24-2019, 10:56 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

If they all expired in 2016 they should all still be good to just throw in a camera & shoot away.
As far as developing them you should have no issues, given that they were stored well.
03-25-2019, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

In my past experience, the "use by" date on film was usually a "best before" for retailers when the film was stored on a shelf in the shop. If purchased well before this date and stored properly, ideally in a 'fridge, b&w film especially would last at least 10 years more with no noticeable degredation.

Good luck
03-25-2019, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The black and white should work almost like new, unless it was stored in very hot conditions. I've recently shot a roll of cheap Fuji 200 color negative expired ten years ago, and had no issues aside from slightly compensating for lower sensitivity.
The slide film may have some color cast, but I've shot last year velvia 50 expired in 2015 ( so about the same as yours) and it turned out pleasant, even though it was a bit magenta. Here's an example of that velvia 50

03-25-2019, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

As others have noted, slide film is the fist to show signs. Usually in the form of color shifts. Not always uniform across the roll/frame.
If you really need to, Black and White is the easiest to test. Shoot a couple of frames, then cut it in the darkroom while still in the camera without rewinding and develop. Compensate your exposure and developing times accordingly. (You'll need a full manual camera for this. Auto rewinding ones are a big no-no)
2016 is still pretty recent, and if it was cold stored shouldn't show any significant difference. It's mostly a guessing game, so don't use it for critical work. Just get creative and expect the unexpected.

03-25-2019, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

BW is fine. I wouldn't even hesitate unless they were stored in the hot sun or something.
03-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If purchased well before this date and stored properly, ideally in a 'fridge, b&w film especially would last at least 10 years more with no noticeable degredation.
The OP should have minimal problems with the film he has, given its recent expiry date but . . .

See my post #13 at

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/107-film-processing-scanning-darkroom/33...ml#post3859598

03-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a market for expired film. I just bought 20+ rolls myself. If you don't feel experimental, sell it.

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 10:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
As others have noted, slide film is the fist to show signs. Usually in the form of color shifts. Not always uniform across the roll/frame.
I was under the impression E6 film held up better than C41?

Here's a recent example of Kodak Ektachrome E100S (expiration date unknown, but definitely before 2016). Metered at box speed, cross-processed in C41.

---------- Post added 03-25-19 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
BW is fine. I wouldn't even hesitate unless they were stored in the hot sun or something.
Speaking of BW, I have a recent example of Kodak Panatomic-X (expired 1989). Metered at box speed, development time according to the insert in the box.
03-26-2019, 03:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Speaking of BW, I have a recent example of Kodak Panatomic-X (expired 1989). Metered at box speed, development time according to the insert in the box.
Is that an example of success?

EDIT: I mean of all the frames on the roll is that one typical or the better of them all?

Last edited by tuco; 03-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.
03-27-2019, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Is that an example of success?

EDIT: I mean of all the frames on the roll is that one typical or the better of them all?
That was one of the better ones. Here's the contact sheet. You can see some unevenness that's obvious in the sky. There's also some problem areas at the bottom of some frames. Either could be the due to the age of the film or user error on my part. This was the 2nd roll I developed with stainless steel reels and tank. I'm still getting used to loading those reels.

04-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

2016 should be fine. As mentioned you may notice minor shifts on the slide films.

Do you know what the storage conditions were? That will tell you a lot about what to expect.
04-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
storage conditions
Less than ideal... in a ziplock bag inside a plastic storage bin down in the basement. Forgot I even had it.
I shot a quick roll of the Portra 400, it was ugly. Overexposed and no detail.
I was using a K1000 on an overcast day. And it sounds like the shutter is slow.
Could be a user error though.
04-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Less than ideal... in a ziplock bag inside a plastic storage bin down in the basement. Forgot I even had it.

If anything out of date film should be less sensitive and coming out underexposed.

Maybe try another roll on a camera with a known-good meter & shutter.
Is your basement climate controlled? Generally cool? A swamp in the summer?

All these things matter. I found some neopan that had been sitting in a desk at my parents house for +/- 7 years and developed it without too much trouble a while back. That desk happens to be in the coolest room in the house (my old room) and out of direct sun. Fresh film would've been better, but it wasn't too bad. Of course, B&W is more forgiving.

If you're developing yourself or using a pro lab you could do a clip test on the next roll. This is a sizeable stash of film so it would be nice to see it salvageable, even if only for side-projects and social use.
04-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If you can overexpose Kodak Portra 400 and not get details then there is something grossly malfunctioning given it's seemingly unending latitude . . .

Regarding very expired film, I have a couple of examples.

This first is color negative Kodak Ektar 125 expired 4/1992 that I shot and developed 9/2010. It was stored in an open driveway in Atlanta, GA for all those years - you might say it was less then ideal . . .

The other was Kodak Royal Gold 25 expired 1/2000 that was shot and processed 4/2018. This was given to me by a generous forum member in the thread Give away: Seven rolls of Kodak Gold Royal 25 ISO

04-08-2019, 03:11 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think a sticky shutter is the culprit there.