Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2019, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #16
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
I see what you mean now, sorry.
It's not just the M42 lenses from her film SLR that I'd like to work, but also potentially other lenses in the future.
I suppose my question is more "Can I expect M42 lenses to adapt in general" and not "Do these specific lenses adapt"
I took the easy way out, getting lenses that would work with my adapter - which in my case means getting either lenses with an
A/M switch or 'pre-set' lenses; that hasn't been much of a limitation.

03-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I took the easy way out, getting lenses that would work with my adapter - which in my case means getting either lenses with an
A/M switch or 'pre-set' lenses; that hasn't been much of a limitation.
Ah ok.
How do you determine what lenses will work with your adapter?
03-26-2019, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The flange won't push the pin because the pin is inside the screw part. Some lenses on canon might need modification because the pin can hit the mirror. That is worth checking.
I was talking about the interior flange, not the flange outside where the bajonet mount locking pin enters. Canon adapters usually have those two flanges. That flange also protects from mirror hang on full frame.
Don't worry about the pin on crop.

03-26-2019, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah ok.
How do you determine what lenses will work with your adapter?
Read again. Lenses with A/M switch like the Takumars or pre-set lenses like the Helios 44-2.

03-26-2019, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I was talking about the interior flange, not the flange outside where the bajonet mount locking pin enters. Canon adapters usually have those two flanges. That flange also protects from mirror hang on full frame.
Don't worry about the pin on crop.
Thats good to clear up. I was looking at the fotodox one linked which doesn't show an interior flange.
03-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thats good to clear up. I was looking at the fotodox one linked which doesn't show an interior flange.
Yeah, there are two options for the adapter I linked, one with the interior flange and one without.
Which one would make the most sense to get?
03-26-2019, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
See my post above about the auto/ manual switch. Vs glueing a pin for without the switch. That personal based on your lenses and preferences.
03-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #23

Original Poster
See my post above about the auto/ manual switch. Vs glueing a pin for without the switch. That personal based on your lenses and preferences.
Ah, right.
Thanks for all the input!

03-26-2019, 07:17 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

. . .
Thanks for all the input!

It looks like you've had plenty of help already, but I'll add my two cents.
I use three different M42 adapters for my Canon DSLR. None of them have focus confirmation.

#1 is for my Super Takumar. It has a flange to depress stop down pins.

#2 goes on my S-M-C Takumar. This one doesn't have an inner flange because that would collide with the S-M-C open aperture metering hardware. This adapter still allows for stopping down via the Auto / Manual switch on the lens.

#3 is made specially for Fujinon EBC and Mamiya-Sekor SX lenses. EBC and SX lenses have open aperture metering architecture which makes it difficult to use them with conventional adapters. It will also work fine with "normal" M42 lenses.

All my adapters were bought from ebay. And I'm familiar with Japanese M42s, but don't know much about European or Russian lenses.

Last edited by .a.t.; 03-26-2019 at 07:22 PM.
03-26-2019, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
It looks like you've had plenty of help already, but I'll add my two cents.
I use three different M42 adapters for my Canon DSLR. None of them have focus confirmation.

#1 is for my Super Takumar. It has a flange to depress stop down pins.

#2 goes on my S-M-C Takumar. This one doesn't have an inner flange because that would collide with the S-M-C open aperture metering hardware. This adapter still allows for stopping down via the Auto / Manual switch on the lens.

#3 is made specially for Fujinon EBC and Mamiya-Sekor SX lenses. EBC and SX lenses have open aperture metering architecture which makes it difficult to use them with conventional adapters. It will also work fine with "normal" M42 lenses.

All my adapters were bought from ebay. And I'm familiar with Japanese M42s, but don't know much about European or Russian lenses.
Interesting. The third one seems made out of brass (nice) and two adapters M+F (Mamiya+Fujica I suppose) and an M42. From FotoFlex?
It also has a groove for what seems to be a pin on the lens, or is it just the alignment marker for the EOS bajonet?

03-26-2019, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. The third one seems made out of brass (nice) and two adapters M+F (Mamiya+Fujica I suppose) and an M42. From FotoFlex?
Yes, it's labeled FotoFlex. The seller says it's copper and made in Taiwan.

The one I see now on ebay has a different name from mine, but it seems to be the same adapter. Here's a link:
M42-Canon EOS EF Lens Adapter Mamiya Fujinon Version | eBay

It also has a groove for what seems to be a pin on the lens, or is it just the alignment marker for the EOS bajonet?
And yes, you're right about the alignment marker. On the opposite side is an indentation for the red dot.
Here are some more photos of the adapter:

03-27-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Yes, it's labeled FotoFlex. The seller says it's copper and made in Taiwan.

The one I see now on ebay has a different name from mine, but it seems to be the same adapter. Here's a link:
M42-Canon EOS EF Lens Adapter Mamiya Fujinon Version | eBay

And yes, you're right about the alignment marker. On the opposite side is an indentation for the red dot.
Here are some more photos of the adapter:

Hmm, nice. Now I see it's just one piece. Looks like a regular chromed brass adapter that has been machined to accommodate for the groove that hinders flush mounting and thus infinity focus on a regular, flat, thick flange adapter. That explains the exposed brass surface.

03-30-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for the M42 lenses with pins that need to be depressed... I hate to permanently alter a lens. There is a Kipon adapter you can get with the inner flange. (This one.) I think I found one for $25 on ebay or maybe Adorama was clearing things out once. Even with that inner flange, you may still need something more to depress the pin fully. Check my review of the Yashinon DS-M 50 f1.4 lens where I explain.