Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 10:20 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Not so much DIY, but these are good, Peak design Sleeve, comes in a few sizes.

Peak Design Shell Rain and Dust Cover - Small | Digital Camera Warehouse
Yeah, that's not bad, the small is what I'd be thinking about getting, but my lord that price tag!

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Did you see this thread?

A Canopy For Your Camera
Haha yeah, not much different from my own solution;

All these solutions have the same principle, aimed at covering the camera. The point of this thread was whether (like the Koozie) we could somehow dress up individual lenses to making them waterproof for when we dock them to our already WR Pentax bodies.

I might try this, at least the price isn't too high. My idea would be to reverse it (one of it's intended features) and pull it up towards the camera body, I like the look of that little 'sticky out' edge piece, I might be able to hook that onto the hotshoe piece or something. A partial covering basically at a cheap price. I might even try the koozie idea as well, see if I can get small ones and cut them down to size. I've actually heard of a lot of people just throwing caution to the wind with their DA Ltd's and just shoot in a bit of rain anyway (not heavy, but like light rain for a bit), which is the intention here.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 03-29-2019 at 12:54 PM.
03-28-2019, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Having a look through Pentax's prime lenses and the widest WR lens is the DFA 50, or the cheaper DA* 55. 3rd Party and we have the Irix 15mm Blackstone or Firefly that's WR. That's it... nothing else that is wider than those two options. Kinda sucks. So many great small portable primes but none that are AW/WR...

It got me thinking, whether anyone has tried to weather proof a non weather proof lens, some kinda DIY job. A quick bit of googling and I notice I'm not entirely mad and that some have tried. Examples;

Ultimate Lens Hood ? The Ultimate Lens Hood An anti-reflective sleeve to shoot through windows that when folded the other way towards the user could be used to keep water off the lens.

The Nikon Digital Field Guide Online: DIY Weather Proofing for your Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | A something for Sigma Art 35/1.4

I just wondered if anyone has taken a serious look into this process, can you add a thin piece of silicon or something to the lens/mount to help protect the lens/sensor, and again extend the sleeve to the hood etc. You might lose functions such as Manual Focusing, or I'm guessing if the focus is not internal then this would not work.

Eh... just rambling thoughts...

Cheers,

Bruce
I suppose if you wanted to get real serious about it,

Thinking aloud here, if, the actual K-mount bayonet on say a 15mm Limited could be replaced with a WR mount from another lens, thus giving the mount a WR seal to body. Then, possibly , getting some silicon tubing , maybe 50mm tube from a surgical of food safe type supply, to cover the body of the lens from the camera body to the hood , ??? AS you say, you wouldn't have manual focus function, but maybe a very fine WR cover, only area of ingress would be around the front lens area, with a filter inplace, that could give good WR to such a lens.
03-28-2019, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also, always have a section of a cut -off stubbie cooler, on my FA*600/f4, at the camera mount, it pushes up hard against the camera body, actually flanges out around the body slightly, and covers the mounting, the aperature ring, and goes completely over the filter drawer , to help seal off that area .
03-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
WR fight! Pentax has 3 WR flashes, Fuji only has one.

But yes, not adding WR to a revised lens like the FA 35 as they were updating it was an unfortunate oversight.

A WR DA 15 or DA 21 would indeed be interesting, as might a DFA 24 WR, but with the new DA Star HD 11-18mm F2.8 DC AW on the scene now, along with the WR 15-30, Pentax probably feel they have wide and WR done already. Just not in primes.
ha ha, I don't use flash in rain. and Yes, totally agree, it would be really nice if the new FA35 is a FA35wr and DA15 / 21 or better say all DA limited should get WR treatments.

03-29-2019, 09:58 AM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The point of this thread was whether (like the Koozie) we could somehow dress up individual lenses to making them waterproof for when we dock them to our already WR Pentax bodies.
The critical point for protection is the mount area and to protect that requires a cover for both body and lens.

I should probably add that I have been shooting with Pentax WR bodies since 2007 and that none of the lenses on my shelf have AW or WR seals. Even if they did, it is unlikely that I would change the damp-conditions shooting habits I have been using for almost 45 years. Say what? You read right: to explain further, I am loath to trust camera and lens seals with other than incidental exposure to rain, snow, or splash. So far, so good and to date I have only had one scare, that being when taking the photo below...

By the time the captures were done, me and my entire kit (save the lens front element) were saturated by spray. I bid a hasty retreat to dryer ground and wiped things off as best I could. When away from the falls, I checked the camera and lens out and found AF with the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) totally dead and the lens internally fogged. I pulled the battery and at the first opportunity for sun detached the lens and exposed it and the camera to ten minutes or so of cool dry air and sunshine. The lens defogged and all has been well since then. I really should have been better prepared.

Steve
03-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I ended up buying the cheap $11AUD Ultimate Lens Hood rip off thing, in small. I'll see how I go, perhaps in reversed and pulled up over to the hotshoe it will be sufficient, that and if I put a koozie around the lens or something...