Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DIY Weather Proofing a Lens

Having a look through Pentax's prime lenses and the widest WR lens is the DFA 50, or the cheaper DA* 55. 3rd Party and we have the Irix 15mm Blackstone or Firefly that's WR. That's it... nothing else that is wider than those two options. Kinda sucks. So many great small portable primes but none that are AW/WR...

It got me thinking, whether anyone has tried to weather proof a non weather proof lens, some kinda DIY job. A quick bit of googling and I notice I'm not entirely mad and that some have tried. Examples;

Ultimate Lens Hood ? The Ultimate Lens Hood An anti-reflective sleeve to shoot through windows that when folded the other way towards the user could be used to keep water off the lens.

The Nikon Digital Field Guide Online: DIY Weather Proofing for your Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | A something for Sigma Art 35/1.4

I just wondered if anyone has taken a serious look into this process, can you add a thin piece of silicon or something to the lens/mount to help protect the lens/sensor, and again extend the sleeve to the hood etc. You might lose functions such as Manual Focusing, or I'm guessing if the focus is not internal then this would not work.

Eh... just rambling thoughts...

Cheers,

Bruce

03-28-2019, 02:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The simplest solution, in my view, for shooting in really adverse weather is to place the whole camera in a clear plastic bag, and tape off around the front barrel of the lens. Not advisable for zooms that will pump moisture into the assembly, but perfect for primes.

I've done this successfully at Niagara Falls shooting up from the bottom, standing as close to the base of the falls as I could without getting drenched. The (very wet) camera was fine. No need for complicating matters with trying to waterproof the mount.
03-28-2019, 03:01 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The simplest solution, in my view, for shooting in really adverse weather is to place the whole camera in a clear plastic bag, and tape off around the front barrel of the lens. Not advisable for zooms that will pump moisture into the assembly, but perfect for primes.

I've done this successfully at Niagara Falls shooting up from the bottom, standing as close to the base of the falls as I could without getting drenched. The (very wet) camera was fine. No need for complicating matters with trying to waterproof the mount.
Yeah like this;

It just feels such a shame that the Pentax cameras are already WR, it's only a small amount of lens we need to weather seal (rather than the whole body). Like... I would totally do this plastic bag and rubber band trick for severe rain, but even a light drizzle puts me off from capturing some moments just because of my current lack of primes. Like the beer koozie trick, I wondered if something silicon (or a silicon trick), existed that could somehow seal and protect the lens and mount area for some of the lighter rain moments.

I did see one kickstarter campaign (that I think failed?) for Canon called the 'dust donut' but I think it was mainly just to help peace of mind for Canon shooters of stopping dust and grit/sand into the camera body rather than rain proof a lens.
03-28-2019, 03:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah like this;

1$ Camera Rain Protection DIY - Learn Photography Benjamin Jaworskyj - YouTube

It just feels such a shame that the Pentax cameras are already WR, it's only a small amount of lens we need to weather seal (rather than the whole body). Like... I would totally do this plastic bag and rubber band trick for severe rain, but even a light drizzle puts me off from capturing some moments just because of my current lack of primes. Like the beer koozie trick, I wondered if something silicon (or a silicon trick), existed that could somehow seal and protect the lens and mount area for some of the lighter rain moments.

I did see one kickstarter campaign (that I think failed?) for Canon called the 'dust donut' but I think it was mainly just to help peace of mind for Canon shooters of stopping dust and grit/sand into the camera body rather than rain proof a lens.
Yeah, like that. Except, I always use a clear bag so I can see the buttons and the rear screen.

03-28-2019, 03:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually think the UHL Mini might be what I am after. I think that should fit quite well over some of the smaller primes such as FA Ltd's etc (with screw on hoods). Not too expensive a thing to try I guess...
03-28-2019, 03:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually think the UHL Mini might be what I am after. I think that should fit quite well over some of the smaller primes such as FA Ltd's etc (with screw on hoods). Not too expensive a thing to try I guess...
I can't see how it will work for weatherproofing.
03-28-2019, 03:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't see how it will work for weatherproofing.
Well... the large UHL is intended to be reversed and now you pull it over the entire dslr. The mini would do the same, but perhaps only being pulled over to the top of the camera system (enough to pull over FA43, FA77 etc to the body quite comfortably). It's then a case of using one hand to pinch and hold the rubber silicon adequately enough at the top of the body/hotshoe when shooting. Perhaps the Hotshoe of the camera itself could be used to somehow grip the silicon.

You can see a large one being used in that video. Perhaps the small would just be too small

03-28-2019, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DFA15-30 is the equal to most of the UWA primes I have used. Mine has been out in all sorts of weather for two years now, including Antarctic blizzards.

Worth every cent.
03-28-2019, 03:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well... the large UHL is intended to be reversed and now you pull it over the entire dslr. The mini would do the same, but perhaps only being pulled over to the top of the camera system (enough to pull over FA43, FA77 etc to the body quite comfortably). It's then a case of using one hand to pinch and hold the rubber silicon adequately enough at the top of the body/hotshoe when shooting. Perhaps the Hotshoe of the camera itself could be used to somehow grip the silicon.

The Ultimate Lens Hood - YouTube

You can see a large one being used in that video. Perhaps the small would just be too small
I don't believe it will work for weatherproofing. Water would simply run down on the inside of the cone. A cheap plastic bag will do a better job. I place the camera in the bag, so that the front of the lens is the only "hole" in the bag. Then, either elastic, or better yet, some electricians tape and, job done.
03-28-2019, 04:20 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . a cheap plastic bag will do a better job. I place the camera in the bag, so that the front of the lens is the only "hole" in the bag. Then, either elastic, or better yet, some electricians tape and, job done.
not DYI but if I get brave [ or stupid enough ] to take the camera and lenses out of the car at Opening Day at Kauffman Stadium [ thunderstorms/rain predicted ] this afternoon, I will be using this:

Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA

as my protection

wish me luck
03-28-2019, 04:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not DYI but if I get brave [ or stupid enough ] to take the camera and lenses out of the car at Opening Day at Kauffman Stadium [ thunderstorms/rain predicted ] this afternoon, I will be using this:

Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA

as my protection

wish me luck
A very expensive plastic bag! I'm sure it will work well - even though it has a giant hole at the back. Better than nothing.
03-28-2019, 04:36 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

A very expensive plastic bag! I'm sure it will work well - even though it has a giant hole at the back. Better than nothing.
be advised that it won't work on the DA 40mm F2.8 XS [ the best lens in its class ]

not sure if your cheaper plastic bag would work or not
03-28-2019, 04:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe some people will do anything to protect the camera and get themselves wet under the rain. A poncho will protect the camera and also the man behind the camera.
03-28-2019, 04:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You could just go with a DA* 16-50. A very good lens and, while not a prime, in adverse conditions I think that becomes a distinction without a difference.
03-28-2019, 05:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For zero cost, plastic shopping bags + a few rubber bands have stood me in good stead outdoors for wet and dirty car rallies. With a wide-brimmed hat.

Fancy solutions like below have also helped me out under bad conditions eg shooting surf-side under sea spray:

No matter what the camera or lens may say about WR, it will always welcome a bit of help.