Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Rokinon 10mm f/28

Hello folks,
I wanted something wide for my KP. I didn't want a fisheye lens, so it was going to have to be a third party lens. I didn't really want to spend the money on the new 11-18 for my KP because I have an Irix 15, and Pentax 15-30 for my K-1, which is what I will use for serious landscape shots. So, I decided on the Rokinon 10mm. Do any of you have this lens, or know anything about it? It is still being shipped, so I can always return it. I there anything better. I have the DA 15mm and can always let that be my widest lens for my KP. Your replies are appreciated.
Terry

03-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have used this lens before on a Fujfilm body. Build quality is good overall, but it certainly isn't their sharpest lens when shot wide open. Stop it down to f5.6 and you'll be happy though. Distortion is fairly minimal too. For the price it's not bad at all as long as you're not shooting wide open with it.
03-31-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
I have used this lens before on a Fujfilm body. Build quality is good overall, but it certainly isn't their sharpest lens when shot wide open. Stop it down to f5.6 and you'll be happy though. Distortion is fairly minimal too. For the price it's not bad at all as long as you're not shooting wide open with it.
Thank you very much, Brett.
Terry
03-31-2019, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Rokinon 10mm. Like nearly all Samyang derived lenses, it's sharp edge to edge (at least if you stop it down a bit), with nice color and decent contrast. It's sharper toward the edges than the DA 15 (particularly at longer distances), but doesn't quite match the DA 15's contrast, rendering, and color, and is way off when it comes to flare control (you shoot the Rokinon into bright sunlight at your peril). In the right kind of light, it can make very nice images:

03-31-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lens is reviewed by PF staff in a couple of places: Samyang 10mm F2.8 ED AS NCS CS Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews by itself and as part of a 4 lens ultra-wide comparison here: Rokinon 8mm vs. 10mm vs. Sigma 8-16mm vs. Pentax 10-17mm Ultra-wide Showdown Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews .

I am holding off on buying any more lenses at the moment, but the Rokinon 10mm is one that I'm considering for my next purchase. Like you, I already have the DA 15 Ltd. and I'm very happy with it. I have looked at the ultra-wide zooms from Sigma, but not to replace the DA 15. The Sigma 10-20 seems to have problems with flare, which can really limit the situations you can use an ultra-wide for and the Sigma 8-16 is hard to find and typically sells for more used than the Rokinon 10mm is new. Based on my experience with the Rokinon 8mm fisheye, I can live without auto-focus for such a wide field of view. There is a comment about poor quality control in the first PF review (it took three copies to get one that wasn't decentered), but as long as you test your lens as soon as you get it, I wouldn't worry about the overall build quality.

Last edited by RGlasel; 03-31-2019 at 01:09 PM.
03-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I have the Rokinon 10mm. Like nearly all Samyang derived lenses, it's sharp edge to edge (at least if you stop it down a bit), with nice color and decent contrast. It's sharper toward the edges than the DA 15 (particularly at longer distances), but doesn't quite match the DA 15's contrast, rendering, and color, and is way off when it comes to flare control (you shoot the Rokinon into bright sunlight at your peril). In the right kind of light, it can make very nice images:
That is beautiful. Thank you so much.
Terry

---------- Post added 03-31-19 at 01:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
This lens is reviewed by PF staff in a couple of places: Samyang 10mm F2.8 ED AS NCS CS Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews by itself and as part of a 4 lens ultra-wide comparison here: Rokinon 8mm vs. 10mm vs. Sigma 8-16mm vs. Pentax 10-17mm Ultra-wide Showdown Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews .

I am holding off on buying any more lenses at the moment, but the Rokinon 10mm is one that I'm considering for my next purchase. Like you, I already have the DA 15 Ltd. and I'm very happy with it. I have looked at the ultra-wide zooms from Sigma, but not to replace the DA 15. The Sigma 10-20 seems to have problems with flare, which can really limit the situations you can use an ultra-wide for and the Sigma 8-16 is hard to find and typically sells for more used than the Rokinon 10mm is new. Based on my experience with the Rokinon 8mm fisheye, I can live without auto-focus for such a wide field of view. There is a comment about poor quality control in the first PF review (it took three copies to get one that wasn't decentered), but as long as you test your lens as soon as you get it, I wouldn't worry about the overall build quality.
The review is great for a $300 lens. I will make sure to test it as soon as it comes in. Thank you so much.
Terry
04-01-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brettday Quote
Thank you. I don't shoot UWA wide open. Usually from 5.6-11. I'm just concerned about the infinity focal mark being off, and the overall lack of quality control.
Terry
04-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Thank you. I don't shoot UWA wide open. Usually from 5.6-11. I'm just concerned about the infinity focal mark being off, and the overall lack of quality control.
Terry
As mentioned above, when you get it check it out to make sure it's not de-centered. I know that's a pretty big issue on the 14mm Samyang/Rokinon's. I have not experienced that on the 10mm though. Good luck with it. If you get a good copy you will love at at the apertures mentioned.

04-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote

You may want to take a look at the Irix lenses. I have one, and love it. I think that it's in a different league than the Rokinon.
Terry
04-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Greg,
That truly is a great picture. It's better than anything I've done.
Terry
04-01-2019, 02:23 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

That truly is a great picture. It's better than anything I've done.
Terry
Thanks Terry. It did take a bit of doing to get this picture. I had to get up at three in the morning and drive from Salem to Mount Rainier NP. Arrived at Reflection Lake at around seven. I was the only one there, except for three people from India, one of whom was shooting with a Pentax K-5. Almost anyone willing to take the trouble to get to scenic places early enough can get pictures like that one.

Here's the other image I took with the Rokinon 10 that morning:

04-02-2019, 04:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Terry. It did take a bit of doing to get this picture. I had to get up at three in the morning and drive from Salem to Mount Rainier NP. Arrived at Reflection Lake at around seven. I was the only one there, except for three people from India, one of whom was shooting with a Pentax K-5. Almost anyone willing to take the trouble to get to scenic places early enough can get pictures like that one.

Here's the other image I took with the Rokinon 10 that morning:
Greg,
I really love what you can do with that lens. Mine arrives, today. I am a little concerned about having to test it for decentering, because I really don't understand what it means. I thought about sending it back and get a Irix 11mm. I could use that on my K-1 as well.
Regards,
Terry
04-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I am a little concerned about having to test it for decentering, because I really don't understand what it means.
A decentered lens simply means that the lens is not sharp, say, on one side (e.g., the right side) of the image circle. I bought a decentered DFA 15-30 a couple of months ago. It was barely noticeable and f11 or f16, but very noticeable at f2.8. I sent the lens back and the seller, B&H, who very good about it, even paying for the shipping.
04-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A decentered lens simply means that the lens is not sharp, say, on one side (e.g., the right side) of the image circle. I bought a decentered DFA 15-30 a couple of months ago. It was barely noticeable and f11 or f16, but very noticeable at f2.8. I sent the lens back and the seller, B&H, who very good about it, even paying for the shipping.
I understand completely, now. Thank you.
BTW, I decided to return the Rokinon 10mm, and got a Irix 11MM. I have more confidence in Irix, and know the brand better. I don't want to go through what you did to get a good copy. I plan to get their new 150mm macro next. I already have the 15mm. I would almost rather shoot with that than my Pentax 15-30mm. It's all for fun. I was looking at your work, today. The shots with the Pentax 11-17mm fisheye. Everything you do is outstanding. I'm emspired by it.
Terry