Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #1
Martinhind

SMC Takumar f3.5 135mm or the SMC Pentax f3.5 135mm - Which to keep?

Help, I now have a SMC Takumar f3.5 135mm in great condition and today in a job lot of camera equipment that arrived I got a SMC Pentax f3.5 135mm lens but it is the 52mm filter thread one which I don't see in the reviews. Serial number is 5233866 if that helps. The SMC Pentax lens is also in great condition.

Well my Visa bill came through and I do need to sell some things to balance the books so which of these is a keeper and which to sell?

My feeling is that the Takumar just looks the business with its metal knurled focus grip whereas the SMC Pentax looks just average!

But what about the quality? I have no idea which is better but assuming that the Pentax will be more up to date and so have better image quality and balance.

So what do people think? Which one to stay and which to go?

Looking forward to your views.

Martin

04-03-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Forum Member

These ones?

SMC Pentax 135mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The reviews might help. Also, they're different mounts.
04-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems to be the same optical construction. If they are both in in good working condition it comes down to which mount you prefer.
04-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I've got both the SMC 135 f3.5 and S-M-C Takumar 135 f3.5 myself. (Links in lens names take you to each one's user review. You'll find the review you were looking for of the K mount 135 there). I've yet to try them out for a side by side comparison, but I imagine their results will be very similar. It looks like they have similar if not identical lens designs, judging by the diagrams included in the Forum User reviews for the two lenses. The Takumar will let you shoot on AV, with the aperture controlled on the lens and the A/M switch giving you DOF preview capability. For using the K mount 135, M mode and green button are your friends. It might come down to what you prefer in build quality and ease of use for your shooting style. It's hard to beat Takumar metal construction and smooth focus.

04-03-2019, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K Series 135/3.5 will have the full SMC coatings, so I'd keep that one. Also that saves you using a lens adapter on a k-mount camera.

Phil.
04-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Martinhind

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The K Series 135/3.5 will have the full SMC coatings, so I'd keep that one. Also that saves you using a lens adapter on a k-mount camera.

Phil.
The Takumar is also Super Multi Coated and has a hood so I am tempted to keep that one as it is the nicer looking and feel of the two.

Cheers all and hope I've made the right decision.
04-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martinhind Quote
The Takumar is also Super Multi Coated and has a hood so I am tempted to keep that one as it is the nicer looking and feel of the two.

Cheers all and hope I've made the right decision.
The SMC coating on the K Series 135/3.5 is on all glass surfaces, it's not on the older Takumar which still has single coatings on some glass surfaces..

Pentax updated this in 1975 when the K Series was released.

Phil.

04-04-2019, 05:10 AM   #8
Martinhind

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The SMC coating on the K Series 135/3.5 is on all glass surfaces, it's not on the older Takumar which still has single coatings on some glass surfaces..

Pentax updated this in 1975 when the K Series was released.

Phil.
Thanks Gofour3, might have to keep both and work with them before deciding.
04-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martinhind Quote
Thanks Gofour3, might have to keep both and work with them before deciding.
This - shoot some pics with both and see what you like. I was playing around with a non SMC Takumar 135/3.5 versus the SMC one, and it became quickly obvious to me I wanted the SMC one. Throw the camera on a tripod and shoot a few shots at different apertures with both lenses, and see if one doesn't pop for you. Have a hunch which one it will be.