Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Purchased a lens on eBay and it rattles

It's a Pentax-A SMC 28mm f2.8

It looks absolutely fine, but it seems to rattle inside a bit if I shake it. Is it broken?

04-06-2019, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
It's a Pentax-A SMC 28mm f2.8

It looks absolutely fine, but it seems to rattle inside a bit if I shake it. Is it broken?

do the focus and aperture rings operate as intended?

have you shot anything with the lens yet?
04-06-2019, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My SMC Takumar 35mm f/3.5 has a very slight rattle but otherwise is fine. It makes decent pictures. It cost me under $40 and I'm satisfied with it. If yours operates well, takes good pictures and didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd say keep and enjoy it.
04-06-2019, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
do the focus and aperture rings operate as intended?

have you shot anything with the lens yet?
Still need to test it. The focus and aperture work fine.

04-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've just taken some photos on auto aperture and they look fine.
04-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
I've just taken some photos on auto aperture and they look fine.

you could also contact the seller on eBay and ask if they noticed a rattle in the lens prior to shipping...

but if everything works properly, and you noticed no issues with the images produces, you may not have any worries then...
04-06-2019, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

At a guess, I'd say it is the linkage to the aperture actuator arm. Many of my older manual lenses rattle to a greater
or lesser extent. None of them have a problem. If the camera engages the actuator arm without issue then
there's nothing to worry about.

04-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 31mm Ltd rattles like crazy if you shake it. Still takes super pictures. Test your lens out at various apertures and if the pictures are fine I would not worry.
04-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Hold the aperture lever in and shake -- still rattle? If it is glass rattling, something needs to be screwed down a bit (this is usually the front or rear and can be done without taking anything apart -- ring around the front element or the ring around the back element.) Glass has some weight to it so you can usually feel it if it is shifting at all, rather than just a pure rattle which is probably the aperture mechanism.
04-06-2019, 07:42 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

before " screwing around " [ pun intended ]

you may want to look at this thread

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com

not sure if your lens has JIS screws or not
04-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hold the aperture lever in and shake -- still rattle? If it is glass rattling, something needs to be screwed down a bit (this is usually the front or rear and can be done without taking anything apart -- ring around the front element or the ring around the back element.) Glass has some weight to it so you can usually feel it if it is shifting at all, rather than just a pure rattle which is probably the aperture mechanism.
It does actually feel like it's glass shaking. It seems to be near the front as well, as it actually makes the noise if I just move the lens rather than actually shaking it.
04-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of my old AF lenses (70-210?) did that, but it went away when I tightened the front ring. Easiest fix ever...

-Eric
04-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
How do you tighten the front ring? Do you need a special tool?
04-06-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

You want to see if you can tighten the ring around the front element (within the filter ring -- usually the ring that says "28mm f/2.8" on most lenses but that's on the side of 'A' version so it is just that plain grey ring). You need a friction tool that you can apply pressure to the ring without applying pressure to the glass. Common household items that can often accomplish this are things like a rubber jar opening grippy thing (flat flexible piece of rubber) with the bottom of a coke can applied on top of it (bottom is curved so hopefully will only touch ring -- rubber needed for friction in the middle). The rubber feet on crutches is often the perfect size for this also if you've got any hanging around. If it is very loose, you'll be able to further loosen it with just finger pressure (counter-clockwise to loosen, clockwise to tighten) -- I recommend you see if you can loosen it easily with your hand or with a tool before you tighten it -- if it is easy to turn then that's your problem. And if you can't loosen it, it probably doesn't need to be tightened and it is some other thing. Once in a while those rings are actually glued and don't spin at all (probably not the case with that vintage lens though), so don't force it, but put some (safe) pressure on it and see what happens.
04-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There was an old Vaudeville doctor's office skit that had a part in it that went like this:

PATIENT: Doctor, it hurts when I do dat.
DOCTOR: Don't do dat!

Adapting it to this situation--

PHOTOGRAPHER: My lens rattles when I do dat.
FELLOW PHOTOGRAPHER: Don't do dat!