Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 62 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2019, 01:29 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think I have a problem

If my GF ever realized how much I have spent on lenses the past two years....

All except the 28-105 & pinhole were purchased on the 2nd hand market. My latest (and hopefully last) acquisition was the FA* 300mm f/4.5.

I both love & hate eBay.

04-06-2019, 01:43 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, what's the problem?
04-06-2019, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
So, what's the problem?
That's still not enough lenses!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-06-2019, 01:56 PM - 11 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
@Craigbob, Craigbob, Craigbob, haven't you been reading the Pentax Forums Advice column?

Rule Number One: Never -- never -- display all of your lenses at one time in one place. Although you might assume that your GF is out shopping, she could come through the door at any time and face that wall of goodies.

Rule Number Two: If you do feel obliged to gather all of your lenses on one table, remove all lens hoods to make the collection look smaller. Maybe she won't notice.

- Craig

04-06-2019, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you feel you have to give away some of them to make room for more acquisitions. I happily will be on the receiving end.
04-06-2019, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s a great start at testing the relationship! If it doesn’t work out, we are here for you! :-)
04-06-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah... you're off to a good start. Last year I made a rule for myself. In order to purchase a new lens, I need to sell another lenses or pieces of equipment to pay for it. So, in order to pay for my new D-FA 15-30, I sold eleven lenses, two teleconverters, five camera bodies (film and digital), a couple of camera bags, tripods, flash stuff and other miscellaneous items. Sold enough to by a new 150mm filter setup too; and still there's some cash left over. So that leaves me with twenty-two lenses, nine camera bodies, still too many camera bags, four tripods, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. And I think compared many other photographers, I feel like Marie Kondo when it comes to my camera gear, LOL!!!

04-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, I realise I don't have a problem and need to get on with it
04-06-2019, 02:32 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"I'm going to start exercising", "I'm going to eat better", "I'm going to get a different job", "I'm only going to buy one more lens"

All great quotes overheard at a new years eve party...
04-06-2019, 02:39 PM - 9 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Just wait until you do what I almost did. Thought about getting an M43 telephoto zoom, did all the research, read all the reviews, watched all the YouTube videos, monitored outcomes of eBay auctions, considered then whether the new price premium with warranty was better value and less risk than 2nd hand, had a range of likely prospects on my eBay watch list, justified the purchase because of an upcoming trip, and just before I made a final decision, I was going through my stuff (just like you) and realised I already had it! And even worse I'd never used it! That's what I call a problem.
Oh and I should add, because I'd saved money by not buying a lens I already had, it gave me permission to look for another lens...
04-06-2019, 02:39 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always sell blood for lens money. Thus far I have been unable to get my wife to chip in a pint or two. Perhaps your girlfriend will be more reasonable if you ask nice.
04-06-2019, 02:53 PM - 6 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

All except the 28-105 & pinhole were purchased on the 2nd hand market.
Used lenses don't count. Buying second hand saves money. You've clearly saved a large amount of money so now you can spend on more lenses!

Unless your girlfriend is a photographer, all those lenses are just inscrutable black cylinders. If you are careful, she'll think you only have 3 lenses: a large one, a medium-sized one, and a small one. She probably won't even be bothered if she thinks you have two medium sized lenses or a couple small lenses. Just try to make sure you only bring out one big lens at a time, and you'll be safe.

And if she does discover your stash and is not too alarmed, then love her with all your heart because she's a keeper!
04-06-2019, 03:11 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Closed Account

I think I have a problem
One persons " problem " is another ones " dream."
04-06-2019, 03:29 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

The obvious answer is to tell her that you have obtained all these lenses to photograph her, in order to immortalise her ethereal beauty for all time.
04-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spend a few $$$ on her, and then as 35mmfilmfan suggests, take a few pictures of her.