Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this lens look right to you?

It's a Sigma and I've checked all three of mine and none has anything but Phillips screws holding the mount to the body. This looks like 2 of the screws are either ruined Phillips or other specialty screws to me.

04-07-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Does this lens look right to you?
I've worked on a couple of dozen lenses over the years, and I noticed the screw heads immediately when I looked at the picture. The two matching screws appear to be square-slot combination heads, definitely not original. I don't see any obvious damage on the mount other than slight scratches at the 12 o'clock position.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to replace mount screws, as long as the replacements are similar. The originals may have been dropped and lost or they might have been seized and required mechanical extraction, which could have damaged the heads. Regardless, the combination square-slot screws are odd replacements, which might suggest sloppy workmanship or inattention to detail. Certainly not elegant.

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-07-2019 at 08:47 AM.
04-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Phillips screws holding the mount to the body
The originals would have been JIS screws, not Phillips I think. That is probably why they needed to be replaced.
04-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

it's been opened, or (at least) partially-disassembled.... does it operate properly?

04-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I've worked on a couple of dozen lenses over the years, and I noticed the screw heads immediately when I looked at the picture. The two matching screws appear to be square-slot combination heads, definitely not original. I don't see any obvious damage on the mount other than slight scratches at the 12 o'clock position.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to replace mount screws, as long as the replacements are similar. The originals may have been dropped and lost or they might have been seized and required mechanical extraction, which could have damaged the heads. Regardless, the combination square-slot screws are odd replacements, which might suggest sloppy workmanship or inattention to detail. Certainly not elegant.
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The originals would have been JIS screws, not Phillips I think. That is probably why they needed to be replaced.
Thanks for the comments.

JIS screws come in Phillips arrangement according to the JIS Europe distributor. Regardless, these don't look like originals and the 3 heads do not match.

The lens is on sale at the high end of what such lenses go for used but the exterior has excessive wear (which the seller attributes to Sun exposure and age) but these screws are not original and the screws on the front inside the front element has tool marks. It definitely looks like a "refurbished" lens to me, and at the price asked is definitely not worth it (and the seller is being deceptive if I am right).
04-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It definitely looks like a "refurbished" lens to me, and at the price asked is definitely not worth it (and the seller is being deceptive if I am right).
The lens might have required repair or cleaning, which is not uncommon for older lenses in general. If so, it could be considered as 'refurbished', 'restored', or 'reconditioned'. Of course, if a lens has been serviced in a professional manner, then it would be in good shape, fully functional, and comparable to its original mechanical condition. I'd shy away from this one, just based on the strange screws.

- Craig
04-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
The lens might have required repair or cleaning, which is not uncommon for older lenses in general. If so, it could be considered as 'refurbished', 'restored', or 'reconditioned'. Of course, if a lens has been serviced in a professional manner, then it would be in good shape, fully functional, and comparable to its original mechanical condition. I'd shy away from this one, just based on the strange screws.

- Craig
I agree. I'm fine with lenses that have been professionally refurbished. Heck, I've purchased from Sigma's refurbished department and bought lenses and sent them off the Eric. This one has too many discrepancies for my taste. Thanks.

04-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would pass on the lens based on mount wear alone. It has been abused at some point.

JIS screws come in Phillips arrangement according to the JIS Europe distributor.
??? JIS is not a brand. It is a standard and is quite distinct from Phillips. A Phillips driver will turn out of and strip a JIS head. The angles and depth are different.

Steve
04-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I would pass on the lens based on mount wear alone. It has been abused at some point.

??? JIS is not a brand. It is a standard and is quite distinct from Phillips. A Phillips driver will turn out of and strip a JIS head. The angles and depth are different.

Steve
Well, there is a company that is the "JIS Distributor for Europe" and they have "JIS Screws: Phillips" listed. Nonetheless, those screws don't match, the lens is a no-go.
04-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I would send it back ... JIS screws are not hard to remove if you have the proper screwdriver, etc. I have serviced many a lens and a modern Sigma like this is relatively easy.

I would guess that whoever opened up the rear of this lens (for whatever reason) used a standard Phillips screwdriver, thus some damage was done to the OEM screws, no longer cosmetically acceptable and clear signs of a (poor) intervention. To hide it all, other screws were used to replace and lord knows if they were correct for the application, i.e. length, pitch etc.

What lens is it exactly?
04-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I would send it back ... JIS screws are not hard to remove if you have the proper screwdriver, etc. I have serviced many a lens and a modern Sigma like this is relatively easy.

I would guess that whoever opened up the rear of this lens (for whatever reason) used a standard Phillips screwdriver, thus some damage was done to the OEM screws, no longer cosmetically acceptable and clear signs of a (poor) intervention. To hide it all, other screws were used to replace and lord knows if they were correct for the application, i.e. length, pitch etc.

What lens is it exactly?
Haven't bought it - got suspicious with the photos and description. It is a Sigma 15-30 in Pentax mount. Personally, I think it was flood damaged (the exterior of the lens is uniformly degraded - body coating peeled or gone altogether, etc.) and repaired by a non-professional.
04-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mmmm... stripped.. better go for the self tapping variety.... :cry: