Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Three Amigos: Completing the Collection in Black or Silver?

I have two of the holy trinity of lenses:the 43 and 77 Limited lenses.The 31 has been quietly calling my name since I purchased a K-1 a couple years ago. It's been more difficult as of late to ignore the whispering siren song of the 31, so I'm asking for your help in choosing black or silver.

My 43 and 77 are black and MIJ. The 31 I get will be MIJ too so it will have to be purchased second-hand. I sure like the look of the silver Limited lenses. Is the silver finish on the Limited lenses more durable than the FA* silver finish? I'm not new to the 31, but I've never owned one. The images I get from the 31 will be the most important, then image quality. Both of these are a given, but I'm wondering how much of a priority a matching black set will be. I don't think a silver 31 will be out of place, but it could be for some among black siblings.

04-07-2019, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Your 43 and 77 are in the wrong color....
04-07-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I have two of the holy trinity of lenses:the 43 and 77 Limited lenses.The 31 has been quietly calling my name since I purchased a K-1 a couple years ago. It's been more difficult as of late to ignore the whispering siren song of the 31, so I'm asking for your help in choosing black or silver.

My 43 and 77 are black and MIJ. The 31 I get will be MIJ too so it will have to be purchased second-hand. I sure like the look of the silver Limited lenses. Is the silver finish on the Limited lenses more durable than the FA* silver finish? I'm not new to the 31, but I've never owned one. The images I get from the 31 will be the most important, then image quality. Both of these are a given, but I'm wondering how much of a priority a matching black set will be. I don't think a silver 31 will be out of place, but it could be for some among black siblings.
I would prefer black, so they will all match. That's what I have. You are in for a treat.
Terry
04-07-2019, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optics matter, body color....not so much.

04-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Optics matter, body color....not so much.
Well, of course.
Terry
04-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the input so far. I guess if this is the toughest decision I have to make in the near future I'll have no complaints.
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Your 43 and 77 are in the wrong color....
Haha. Well said.

Speaking of my 43 and 77:

04-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would have preferred all black personally but I ended up with a silver FA 43 (MIJ as it happens). I don't know about durability of the finish yet (although its lasted fine so far) but I have to admit I quite like the look of the silver on black, so I'm not unhappy about the purchase!
They are great lenses for sure, love the rendering and size of them.

04-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a black 31 and silver 43 and 77, all MIJ (the 43 is an early serial). I think the black is anodized and the silver is paint, but the sliver is not delicate like the FA* lenses.
04-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

In Australia, the black 31 is $80 cheaper than the silver one at present (new)! That would be enough to sway me.

Is there any good reason to prefer MIJ? I've not seen any.
04-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The silver MIJ, early S/N FA43 I had (in fact I sold it to monochrome) always looked like it was the native color of the metal to me (even though that's probably an illusion), so the finish is durable and nice. My other two FA Ltds were black, which was fine, but I have to say the silver was the most eye-catching and it always gave me this feeling of "the real deal" whenever I looked at it on the camera. It made me feel good even before I looked through the lens - as if I had a rare German classic on my camera.

It sounds like it still looks great according to monochrome, so I wouldn't hesitate in getting silver if it suits your taste.

Last edited by DSims; 04-07-2019 at 06:52 PM.
04-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They’re not on the camera at the same time so the only time to admire if they match each other is on the shelf, in the bag... The silver lenses are beautiful. My 31 and 43 are black, my 77 is silver. It doesn’t bother me it doesn’t match the other two. For my quintuplets, my 21 and 35 are black, my 15, 40 and 70 are silver.
04-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the 31 and 77 in black and 43 in silver. They are all wonderful finishes. Granted I handle all my lenses with care, the silver has held up well and shows no signs of wear. I might just go for the first really sweet copy at a good price you could find either way.
04-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The silver might be more durable than the black, not sure. Its definitely more durable than the fa* finish. My 43 and 77 (early mij)are both silver and look good as new while my 31 is black and looks pretty worn, which i think looks cool. I actually had a silver 31 but sold it as i prefered it in the more low key black for whatever reason.
04-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #14

What colour is your camera? I had a silver 31, then a silver 77 and then bought the silver K1, so naturally I grabbed a silver 43 to complete the set. By their powers combined, I can summon Captain Planet now.

In terms of aesthetics, I'd try and match things based on the camera itself. In my opinion, black and silver doesn't look as nice as black on black. Having said that, all silver looks quite nice though.
04-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Is there any good reason to prefer MIJ? I've not seen any.
Just personal preference. I haven't seen any proof one is better than the other. But I have owned MIJ K1000s, as well as assembled-in-Taiwan K1000s, but never a Chinese-made K1000 with plastic top and bottom plates.
QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
What colour is your camera? I had a silver 31, then a silver 77 and then bought the silver K1, so naturally I grabbed a silver 43 to complete the set. By their powers combined, I can summon Captain Planet now.

In terms of aesthetics, I'd try and match things based on the camera itself. In my opinion, black and silver doesn't look as nice as black on black. Having said that, all silver looks quite nice though.
My camera is black, but it sure looks good with a silver FA* lens attached.