Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2019, 06:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
16-45 is pretty wide already and while the image quality might be better on the DA 15 unless you shoot into the sun you may not really notice it if you stop down to f/8. The 50 f/1.7 seems like a must take in case you have any low light shooting you want that a mild telephoto would work for. Beyond that I'm honestly not sure. Perhaps something longer? Maybe grab a used DA 55-300 HD WR or plain old DA? It's light and long.
When we went in 1985 I had just two lenses - a 50mm and a 70-200mm on my Super Program ""FF" camera; I don't remember ever desperately wishing for more.

04-09-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I'll have my K5iis to take photos.So do I just use my old DA 16-45 or would taking primes be better?
I see a number of primes being proposed. My point of view is that for landscape type of images that are all in focus ( f-stop > f5.6, f8) there isn't much difference between zooms and primes. I'd use a DA16-45 or better the DA16-85. With the zoom, you can decide whether you want a normal perspective (perspective as your eyes see it), wide (accentuation of perspective) or tele (compression of perspective).
04-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I see a number of primes being proposed. My point of view is that for landscape type of images that are all in focus ( f-stop > f5.6, f8) there isn't much difference between zooms and primes. I'd use a DA16-45 or better the DA16-85. With the zoom, you can decide whether you want a normal perspective (perspective as your eyes see it), wide (accentuation of perspective) or tele (compression of perspective).
The 16-45 isn't bad but a 16-85 would add range and weather resistance.
04-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Your did say "Glacier NP" didn't you - the one in Montana??
I was not aware that there was a Glacier National Park in Montana!

04-09-2019, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I was not aware that there was a Glacier National Park in Montana!
As far as I know, the only US place with the exact name "Glacier NP" is in Montana.

Many of the facilities were originally developed by J.J. Hill, known as the "Empire Builder", who built both the Northern Pacific and the Great Northern railroads.
The Great Northern went right past Glacier NP, so shortly after the park was created, he developed fancy alpine-like hotels and limousine service between his railroad and the hotels to give an extra reason to ride his railroad {besides going between Chicago and Washington state}.
04-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danivan Quote
12-24mm F4 with 3 and 6 stop ND filters to smooth the water and clouds when needed.
I always recommend the 12-24 in the "what lens to take to...?" threads. Those large filters will be expensive.