Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Understanding lens types

Hi to all. I recently joined this forum after I purchased my K100 D Super and now have a need to understand lenses. Is there a website or books that anyone might recommend to help educate me on the differences and attributes of the many types and sizes available?
Many thanks in advance.

10-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page this is the best one out there

as for pentax's current line up, Pentax Digital SLR Cameras :: Lenses is an easy way to check out what you can get now
10-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The k-mount page is a great site for Pentax-related lenses. For general lens info, there's a chapter in Ansel Adams' The Camera that explains various aspects of lens info (depth of field, perspective, etc).

For (Pentax) reviews, this site's own Lens Review Database is a great resource, and for older (pre-2000) lenses, this site has some good info. For general reviews, try Welcome to Photozone!.

PS: welcome to the forum!

edit: took too long typing, k100d beat me to it
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's a pretty broad question. If you're looking for an overview of how to use your camera and the various types of lenses, I'll recommend Scott Kelbly's "The Digital Camera Book".

Also do a search of the lens reviews here, and you'll find some opinions on K-mount lenses.

Hope this gets you started! Welcome to the fray!

10-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

WOW, what a great response from all of you!
I will start to research all of your suggestions. Thanks again.
10-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #6

I second the recommendation of Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book"...while not strictly about lenses, both volumes one and two of the book really help you understand the ins and outs of photography with your DSLR. Of course the best way to get to know your lenses is just to go out and shoot, and you'll soon get to know the limitations of the kit lens and such.
10-05-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another title to add to the pile of reading is: David Busch's Quick Snap Guide to Using Digital SLR lenses. It is an excellent introduction for the beginner that goes into how lenses work, the different types of lenses (and how to use them), and the accessories you can use with them (ie--filters).

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Heather
10-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Heather, I will check it out and thanks for the welcome note!