Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
The Lumix lens is their 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 which I bought for $100 used in like new condition.
OK... thanks for that. Well, see above for our various opinions re your 16-45. Frankly, it doesn't look quite right. As I mentioned, even my MkI 18-55 does better than this in the borders at f/8

04-11-2019, 04:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried my old DA 18-55 and the results were worse yet. Thinking it might be the camera I put on the DA 21 limited and it was nice and sharp.
04-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tried my old DA 18-55 and the results were worse yet. Thinking it might be the camera I put on the DA 21 limited and it was nice and sharp.
If you're getting sharp results with one lens and awful results with another, it could be that you need to carry out AF fine adjustment for your lenses... though, frankly, at f/8 that should be mitigated to a significant extent...

Take a look at the Flickr group for the DA16-45 to get an idea of the results you could / should be getting: Pentax SMCPDA 16-45mm f/4.0 | Flickr
04-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you're getting sharp results with one lens and awful results with another, it could be that you need to carry out AF fine adjustment for your lenses...
Center in focus (not sharp, but in relative focus), edges smeared...not something AF fine adjust can fix.

Steve

04-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Center in focus (not sharp, but in relative focus), edges smeared...not something AF fine adjust can fix.
Agreed, but we don't know if the lens is as sharp in the centre as it could be... maybe there's still a little room for improvement?

I also wondered if field curvature might be an issue, but according to reviews this lens has a fairly flat field, so I guess not...
04-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought the Olympus on a whim. We are taking a trip to Glacier National Park in Sept. and the small size of not just the camera but the lenses appealed to me. Right now the only lenses in my Pentax lineup that will give me the kind of sharpness as the Lumix zoom are prime lenses.
04-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The images look like samples I took with shake reduction on and attached to a tripod.

Could something be up with your shake reduction on the camera?
04-11-2019, 05:27 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed, but we don't know if the lens is as sharp in the centre as it could be... maybe there's still a little room for improvement?

I also wondered if field curvature might be an issue, but according to reviews this lens has a fairly flat field, so I guess not...
The EXIF Focus Range = "close". Tests I have done show "close" for focus ring position of about 0.5m. (The FocusRangeIndex number in the makernotes is assumed to be read from the lens focus ring position.) If the body finds best focus on a subject located, maybe 20m away and reads "close" from the focus ring, something is terribly wrong.

Steve

(...will recheck...)

04-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I posted this in the last thread but it seems to have been ignored:

Just throwing it out there; sample variation, perhaps? I don't own either lens in question so can't make any comments
about their performance, but certainly there is enough evidence to suggest, good, average and bad copies of almost
any lens are in circulation.
I believe you may be correct. When I go to pixel peepers and view 100% samples of this lens it seems to be very hit or miss as far as edge sharpness with more misses than hits
04-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe you may be correct. When I go to pixel peepers and view 100% samples of this lens it seems to be very hit or miss as far as edge sharpness with more misses than hits
See Steve's post on real problems you have.

It's not right to assume our sample of a lens is up to standard.

04-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
See Steve's post on real problems you have.

It's not right to assume our sample of a lens is up to standard.
The real problem is variation in lenses. Go to pixel peepers and look at the samples. Not just the small size samples as you suggested but 100 % samples. You will see many with soft edges
04-11-2019, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The real problem is variation in lenses. Go to pixel peepers and look at the samples. Not just the small size samples as you suggested but 100 % samples. You will see many with soft edges
Sure. When I buy a lens these days, I don't throw any packaging until I've microadjusted its focus and checked for decentreing by shooting the same scene four times with ninety degree rotation until I know I've got the copy I've paid for.

Someone like Digitalis did this three times until he got a copy of one of his favourite lenses that was up to standard - the Sigma 8-16mm.

That's on us, as pixel peeping consumers.
04-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure. When I buy a lens these days, I don't throw any packaging until I've microadjusted its focus and checked for decentreing by shooting the same scene four times with ninety degree rotation until I know I've got the copy I've paid for.

Someone like Digitalis did this three times until he got a copy of one of his favourite lenses that was up to standard - the Sigma 8-16mm.

That's on us, as pixel peeping consumers.
I can see your point and thats a smart thing to do but should we really have to? Should I have to drive 3 different cars to find one that's not defective? Shouldn't these lenses be tested before they are put out to be sold?
04-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The real problem is variation in lenses.
In all due respect, that is easy to say, but I don't think so. I am not an owner or former owner and can't comment intelligently except to say it is as bad as any lens I have handled and used. Perhaps that is how the nasty tail of the quality curve looks for that lens. And perhaps they all report "close" for subjects 50' or more distant. That being said, I think I will bow out of active conversation here. With any luck, one of our more technically astute members who have owned the lens ( @Digitalis ?) will pop in with an analysis and perhaps a few incisive questions.

I hope you are able to work a kit that performs better.

Steve
04-11-2019, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone like Digitalis did this three times
Someone like Digitalis is a former DA 16-45/4 owner.

Steve