Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 61 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can't Pentax make a good cheap zoom?

I've always considered my DA 16-45 a pretty good zoom and it has been my most used zoom. I recently picked up an Olympus E-M1 4/3 camera with a cheap $100 used lumix 14-45 lens.I have to say that this lens is better than the Pentax especially the edge sharpness. Are there any cheap Pentax zooms that can compare? Heres a sample of the lumix lens with 100% center and edges.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M1  Photo 
04-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm seeing a lot of purple fringing in the trees in the high contrast areas, i've used the 16-45 and i don't recall seeing that kind of purple bloom although there may be some?Sharpness isn't the only thing that defines a great lens but i would say if you want a cheap zoom then you will probably get what you paid for. From the optical limits review: It is difficult to provide a final verdict about micro-4/3 lenses because neither the camera JPEGs nor the standard RAW converters will give you an access to uncorrected image data. This is both good and bad. On the one hand the system provides "clean" images straight out-of-the-box. On the other hand the correction mechanism is not really lossless because you lose some field-of-view if the lens produces heavy distortions (like this one), a bit of edge resolution and the sensor noise gets amplified somewhat in the corners due to the vignetting compensation. Their review was based on images corrected by the camera.

Last edited by bschriver11; 04-10-2019 at 05:52 PM.
04-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I'm seeing a lot of purple fringing in the trees in the high contrast areas, i've used the 16-45 and i don't recall seeing that kind of purple bloom?Sharpness isn't the only thing that defines a great lens but i would say if you want a cheap zoom then you will probably get what you paid for.
I noticed the fringing afterward which was easily fixed in Lightroom. Sharpness isn't the only thing but to me it is probably the most important thing maybe not to others.
04-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I have to say that this lens is better than the Pentax especially the edge sharpness.
It's an interesting implication that Pentax falls short in the "good cheap zoom" arena. The images that are posted here appear decent enough, but it's not realistic to compare them against other lens/camera combinations that would not have been at the same location in the same shooting conditions.

It would be great if you could post similar images taken at one location and time with your Pentax 16-45 and the Lumix lens.

- Craig

04-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
It's an interesting implication that Pentax falls short in the "good cheap zoom" arena. The images that are posted here appear decent enough, but it's not realistic to compare them against other lens/camera combinations that would not have been at the same location in the same shooting conditions.

It would be great if you could post similar images taken at one location and time with your Pentax 16-45 and the Lumix lens.

- Craig
I can do that but I can tell you by experience The 16-45 will not be as sharp on the edges.
04-10-2019, 06:09 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have to say, Robert, doesn't look any better than the Pentax 18-55 kit lens. You should have a look at its forum thread with sample shots!
04-10-2019, 06:10 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I can do that but I can tell you by experience The 16-45 will not be as sharp on the edges.
Have you stopped to consider that it is easier to make a lens that covers the M43 format than the larger APS-C format? The smaller required image circle does put Olympus at an advantage in this case.
Making good cheap stuff is why Pentax failed as a company. Don't expect Ricoh to repeat that mistake.

04-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
It's an interesting implication that Pentax falls short in the "good cheap zoom" arena.
Particularly since Pentax generally gets good marks for their kit zoom offerings and the DA 16-45/4 was the up-scale standard zoom prior to release of the DA* 16-50/2.8. Granted, it is not a recent design, but had a long production run (2003-2014) with most owners having few complaints.

@robert, What Pentax body are you using?

Steve

(...would have liked to have had the 16-45 for use on my K10D, but could not must the extra $$...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-10-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Clarity
04-10-2019, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have to say, Robert, doesn't look any better than the Pentax 18-55 kit lens. You should have a look at its forum thread with sample shots!
That was my observation as well. That being said, I would expect the DA 16-45/4 to perform somewhat better.

Steve
04-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Particularly since Pentax generally gets good marks for their kit zoom offerings and the DA 16-45/4 was the up-scale standard zoom prior to release of the DA* 16-50/2.8. Granted, it is not a recent design, but had a long production run (2003-2014) with most owners having few complaints. What Pentax body are you using?

Steve
K5ii s

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 09:18 PM ----------

I looked but any lens would look good at the size those are posted.
04-10-2019, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I looked but any lens would look good at the size those are posted.
?

It's a good lens, and cheap.

That Panny has so much purple towards the edges, it's really nothing "to write home about", Robert!
04-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
?

It's a good lens, and cheap.

That Panny has so much purple towards the edges, it's really nothing "to write home about", Robert!
Like I said the Panny purple edges are corrected very easily in Lightroom
04-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My 16-45 lens is a hit or miss for me on my K3-II. It can take some of the sharpest images then just go to poo-poo. It is my lens of choice with my ttl ring flash on my DS....... It might be me though.......my next project is to see what the 16-45 can really do.....
04-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just throwing it out there; sample variation, perhaps? I don't own either lens in question so can't make any comments
about their performance, but certainly there is enough evidence to suggest, good, average and bad copies of almost
any lens are in circulation.
04-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've always considered my DA 16-45 a pretty good zoom and it has been my most used zoom. I recently picked up an Olympus E-M1 4/3 camera with a cheap $100 used lumix 14-45 lens.I have to say that this lens is better than the Pentax especially the edge sharpness. Are there any cheap Pentax zooms that can compare? Heres a sample of the lumix lens with 100% center and edges.
A few things off the top of my head.

1. EM-1 (16mp) vs ? - the 100% crop factor will be different
2. 4/3 format - less edges
3. u4/3 may be using a smaller image circle of the lens (but then again, the lens is small, so maybe not)
4. Internal software correction of u4/3 cameras.
5. Processing settings (esp contrast and sharpening)

CA performance on a lens does cost money (design, manufacture, materials), so is distortion and u43 does save a bit on these by pushing it to the software.