Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

Lens Query

I have recently started dipping my toes into the older lens market, researching and learning about the wide and various manufacturers who made lenses for Pentax cameras, a slow but most enjoyable process! Around a week ago I came across a lens I can find no review, photo of or even mention dispite the usual forum check and 'insert name of generic internet browser here' internet searches I've found nothing which matches. The lens in question was marked as a 28mm f2.8 and had 'DIA Auto MC' on the front. It was marked as made in Japan. I've probbly missed something quite obvious, so apologies in advance as a vintage lens novice!

04-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there a brand name somewhere on the lens?

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 01:24 PM ----------

Pictures would help.

Last edited by rogerstg; 04-14-2019 at 10:33 AM.
04-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
It had Asahi on the rear lens cap. It was marked down by the seller as a Pentax lens, but they weren't a regular lens seller and there were some inaccurasies in the discription as well which made me doubt the rest of it! The front lens cap was marked DIA as well.
04-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you mean this lens:
DIA Auto MC 28mm Lens - PK Mount | eBay

I don't know anything about DIA; I assume it's some sort of house brand. As the lens is in the UK, perhaps one of our UK members will know more.

(Edit: for those that haven't looked at the auction, there are also a 'DIA' filter and a lens cap with a stylized "DIA" logo, so DIA appears to be the brand name, not an abbreviation for diameter.)

Last edited by THoog; 04-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.
04-14-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Type3 Quote
It had Asahi on the rear lens cap. It was marked down by the seller as a Pentax lens, but they weren't a regular lens seller and there were some inaccurasies in the discription as well which made me doubt the rest of it! The front lens cap was marked DIA as well.
Lens caps are often irrelevant since they fit multiple lenses with the same mount or filter size. It's markings on the lens that matter. FWIW, I've never seen a lens without a brand or model clearly shown on the front of the lens.
04-14-2019, 10:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

I don't know anything about DIA; I assume it's some sort of house brand. As the lens is in the UK, perhaps one of our UK members will know more.
Yes that looks like the one! Came across it by chance and like most things which you don't recognize or find understanding of leaves that niggling intrigue in your mind until you find out!
04-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
FWIW, I've never seen a lens without a brand or model clearly shown on the front of the lens.
I guess I can't write that anymore, unless DIA is the brand. I'd assumed it was short for diameter.
04-14-2019, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DIA is an optical company in Osaka, Japan, Founded in 1958. They make equipment for finishing lenses. Not sure if they ever made camera lenses.

04-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Lens caps are often irrelevant since they fit multiple lenses with the same mount or filter size. It's markings on the lens that matter. FWIW, I've never seen a lens without a brand or model clearly shown on the front of the lens.
It's the one THoog linked to. Which seems to indicate the maker is DIA, not a maker I've heard of, even as a 3rd party/house name etc, but then I've not been 'at it' long! Usually though there's something to be found online about such companies, but nothing I could find.

---------- Post added 04-14-19 at 10:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
DIA is an optical company in Osaka, Japan, Founded in 1958. They make equipment for finishing lenses. Not sure if they ever made camera lenses.
Oh interesting, thanks!
04-14-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I doubt DIA is the maker. Generic rebranded 28mms are extremely common. A search through the 3rd party lens reviews
will likely find a match under a different house brand.
04-14-2019, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Type3 Quote
Yes that looks like the one! Came across it by chance and like most things which you don't recognize or find understanding of leaves that niggling intrigue in your mind until you find out!
I'm sure I sold those years ago under the "Image" brand, which was the house brand of Astral Photo in Canada. I thought they were a decent enough lens, though I didn't use one extensively, and it would have been with 400 ISO print film, so I wasn't pushing any envelopes.
04-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks fo the feeback guys, is appreciated. I shall go through all the 3rd party lens reviews and see if I can find a match, I didn't find any match from a net search of 28mm f2.8 lenses so far, but probably just need to keep looking longer! For better or worse (quite possbly the latter) I went against most of my better judgement and bid on the lens, even though it was untested by the seller who called it a 50mm Pentax lens. Someone call the men in white coats. lol!